The Student Room Group

Going to a concert alone, tips and advice?

Hey guys,
So, I'm going to the Avenged Sevenfold/Disturbed/In Flames concert in Birmingham on January 13th, and because none of my friends like this sort of music I'm going alone (there was no way in hell I was gonna miss it!) anyway...not only am I going alone, but it's my first concert, and I got a standing ticket, so it's gonna be pretty intense!

Does anyone have any tips or advice for me? I'm an excited kinda nervous, it has to be said :tongue: And furthermore is anyone else going to the same concert?
Thanks!
People in the queue are normally more than happy to talk to each other, as you have a standing ticket I would always arrive early to get a semi decent view, although with the amount of people jumping around don't expect to stay where you started.
There will be mosh pits at that kind of concert but it is very unlikely that you will be pressurised into joining in, and are often best avoided depending on the make up of the peoople in them. Don't worry about going on your own as, as soon as the music starts it is too noisy to talk and groups of people often get split up anyway in all of the jumping around. Don't buy merch of the touts but there should be a merch store at the venue if you wish to purchase something. Leaving the venue is the most risky time and if at all possible try and stay with others (as in don't walk down a side street on your own) until you are in a well lit area. Make sure you have made plans as to how to get home before you get to the concert.
Original post by xMiakatx
Hey guys,
So, I'm going to the Avenged Sevenfold/Disturbed/In Flames concert in Birmingham on January 13th, and because none of my friends like this sort of music I'm going alone (there was no way in hell I was gonna miss it!) anyway...not only am I going alone, but it's my first concert, and I got a standing ticket, so it's gonna be pretty intense!

Does anyone have any tips or advice for me? I'm an excited kinda nervous, it has to be said :tongue: And furthermore is anyone else going to the same concert?
Thanks!

I went to a concert on my own many years ago to see the Stone Roses at Brixton Academy, I can't remember the exact year but it was in the 90's
It was brilliant but i just wish i had bought an extra ticket for my sister to go with me because she loved them but it was expensive at £50 but still i should have saved to take her.
After it finished everyone was allowed to stay til 6am so that's what i did because i did not know how to get home until the trains started running the next morning.
But i would have had a better time if i had bought 2 tickets and if my sister could not come or pulled out at the last minute i could have just asked a stranger on the street or walking past in the area that the concert is in to come with me as everyone loves stuff for free and even if noone likes the same music as you they might still come if it's free. So you should try that.

Put an advert in your local paper or in the newsagents asking if anyone wants to come, ask at uni or put advert on uni wall, if no luck then ask anyone in that area the concert is being held on the day.
But that means buying 2 tickets but you can ask someone to pay for the ticket you bought for them afterwards or just give it free. It's also a good way to meet a friend or boyfriend who has the same interests as you. You have plenty of time to find someone. Ask if anyone on tsr wants to go with you.
Go on the bands website to ask for anyone to come.
Wear comfortable shoes because the wait from when the doors open to when the support band come on and from the support band to the main act are dreadful. It's not too bad if you can walk about a bit, but if you've got a semi-decent spot near the barrier that you don't want to give up it kills to stand in the same position for so long.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest