The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine, HELP!

Okay, iv got my results in two days and im '****ting it' to say the very very least! Iv tried to do as much research as possible on what unis i should apply for, my stratagy is apply for two slightly easier (no matter how small the margin) unis and then 2 i would prefer to be at. After a few hours of reading, i think my easier options are Brighton and sussex med school and cardiff uni. Now im picking two options i would prefer to go to, i think manchester would be a great place to go to and a school in london, but theres nottingham too, i need to decide if there is any uni that is slightly easier to get into in the schools of london? I dont want to go to a med school preferably, but what uni do you guys think is easier to get into out of: Kings college, UCL, Queen Mary, Imperial college, etc... Even if the difference is very small, it still would be good, im sure there is some uni which would be better to apply to, for reasons such as a slightly smaller competition? My GCSE's arent amazing but as follows: A* 's double award science, 2 A's (maths), 6 B's (english), 2 C's (crappy subjects) I only wanted to show the more imp subs ^^ I guess it will be easier to make a decision after i get my results? i just want to know if there is a uni which is slightly easier to get into, on any grounds... Also what things should i be doing to strengthen my application, i have done one work exp in a hospital, some volunteering in a hospital, non curiculum stuff, i have a part time job, some scholastic achievments but what else can i do?? i tried getting more work exp but there isnt time between now and my app, and everywhere is booked until next year, would there still be a point?
Reply 1
AS or A2 results

Have you booked your UKCAT?
Reply 2
I'm sure you did okay with results. Don't worry!
And you would have to spend a looong time in Brighton/Sussex/wherever, so its important your happy with going there.
I'd go UCL/Bart's and the London (QMUL) out of the universities you suggested ,as from my experience they are less harsh against GCSEs.
This isn't a small decision to make, are you prepared?
No course is easy to get into, infact really there isn't an easier course to get into per se...

For instance, OK, BSMS may get 1300 applicants whereas Manchester gets 3000, but then you gotta think that BSMS may only have 150 or so places whereas Manchester has 380 or thereabouts.

It's a misconception...just apply where your heart tells you to!
Reply 5
If you're applying for medicine you need all the help you can get!!!!!!
Reply 6
Cardiff are GCSE nazis. Don't apply unless you have a good 5A* and even then I don't know how good your chances are.

Latest

Trending

Trending