The Student Room Group

Will taking this job have a negative impact on my CV

Hi everyone

Bascially I am unemployed at the moment after finishing my degree and having some experience within admin jobs. I'm trying at the moment to find office based roles or idealy a role where I can use my degree in History but the job market where I live isnt the best. My husband has got me an interview as a cleaner at the supermarket he works at which is part time.

I need the money to help pay the rent and if I get the job I will obviously be looking for something that I'm qualified for ( not that I'm a job snob).

Will this look really bad on my CV or will employers understand that I'm in work and trying to pay the bills. ( Also I always think every job needs to be on your CV as they will see where you worked if they employ you and see your P45)

Just looking for anY thoughts or if people have been through simlair experience?

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
The hiring manager is unlikely to see your P45, although they will question any large gaps on your CV.*

Personally I'd just put it down as something like 'temporary retail assistant' or similar.*
Original post by Punkgirl91
Hi everyone

Bascially I am unemployed at the moment after finishing my degree and having some experience within admin jobs. I'm trying at the moment to find office based roles or idealy a role where I can use my degree in History but the job market where I live isnt the best. My husband has got me an indterview as a cleaner at the supermarket he works at which is part time.

I need the money to help pay the rent and if I get the job I will obviously be looking for something that I'm qualified for ( not that I'm a job snob).

Will this look really bad on my CV or will employers understand that I'm in work and trying to pay the bills. ( Also I always think every job needs to be on your CV as they will see where you worked if they employ you and see your P45)

Just looking for anu thoughts or if people have been through simlair experience?

Take it and then present it that you arent afraiid of hard work and did what was needed to get yourself to the next stage. The money will help and it gets you to a better stage than you are at. It will be easier to get another job whilst in work.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Take it and then present it that you arent afraiid of hard work and did what was needed to get yourself to the next stage. The money will help and it gets you to a better stage than you are at. It will be easier to get another job whilst in work.

That's what I thought, I have my qualifications and experience of admin etc and I can always find volunteer work to strengthen my cv further and yeah just be honest and say that I needed to pay the bills, not afraid of hard work and didnt want a gap on my cv :smile: thanks
Surely if you need the money to pay the rent then considerations of whether or not a cleaning job will affect your CV are irrelevant. Take the job - any job is better than no job, and at least you look like you're work ready and willing.
Reply 5
I wouldn't imagine that if you had the right grades, as well as other relevant work experience that having that you were a cleaner would have a largely negative look on your CV. They are unlikely to grill you on why you took it up, but even if you did, there is no shame in getting work in order to pay the bills and survive. I would not stress about it too much.
Although, some say to tailor your CV in such a way that you only list the jobs you have done that are relevant to the job you are applying for. So I suppose that could always be an option? I would say include it because at the very least it shows that you aren't going to sit around on the couch waiting for things to fall at your feet, that you're willing to work hard (even if it is not your ideal career) in order to pay the bills, and then progress onto work you actually do enjoy.
Reply 6
Original post by EmmaCx
I wouldn't imagine that if you had the right grades, as well as other relevant work experience that having that you were a cleaner would have a largely negative look on your CV. They are unlikely to grill you on why you took it up, but even if you did, there is no shame in getting work in order to pay the bills and survive. I would not stress about it too much.
Although, some say to tailor your CV in such a way that you only list the jobs you have done that are relevant to the job you are applying for. So I suppose that could always be an option? I would say include it because at the very least it shows that you aren't going to sit around on the couch waiting for things to fall at your feet, that you're willing to work hard (even if it is not your ideal career) in order to pay the bills, and then progress onto work you actually do enjoy.

Thanks for your reply I guess that all makes sense and I just needed some reassurence :smile: I went to the interview this morning and I am all signed up to start next week and one of the good things is its early mornings so I'll have the rest of the day to look for jobs etc. I'd maybe tailor the wording in the CV but be upfront and have all of it there so they have a more open and true idea of your employment history etc
Also I always think every job needs to be on your CV as they will see where you worked if they employ you and see your P45 )

You aren't understanding the role of a P45. The process goes like this -

Applicant writes a CV showing all relevant experience
Employer reviews CV and decides the applicant is competitive - invites Applicant to interview
At interview discusses experience, may ask about gaps, may not. Applicant has positive answers prepared.
Employer decides applicant is the best for the job and makes an offer 'subject to references' and a start date is discussed
References are taken up and job offer and start date are confirmed

Applicant turns up for first day of work with paperwork for joining company, including P45, possibly signed contract etc
Applicant, now an employee, hands over P45 to payroll clerk who enters detail onto payroll software and returns it to the employee.
Crack on with the new job.

So the P45 only enters the process after an offer has been made, and confirmed. Plus the only person that sees the P45 is the payroll clerk, certainly not the hiring manager (unless there is only one person in this organisation)

Finally, the P45 only shows income in the previous Financial Year, if you haven't been earning since 6 April in the year, then you don't hand over a P45 anyway.
That's what I thought, I have my qualifications and experience of admin etc and I can always find volunteer work to strengthen my cv further and yeah just be honest and say that I needed to pay the bills, not afraid of hard work and didnt want a gap on my cv :smile: thanks

I agree
Reply 9
Original post by threeportdrift
You aren't understanding the role of a P45. The process goes like this -

Applicant writes a CV showing all relevant experience
Employer reviews CV and decides the applicant is competitive - invites Applicant to interview
At interview discusses experience, may ask about gaps, may not. Applicant has positive answers prepared.
Employer decides applicant is the best for the job and makes an offer 'subject to references' and a start date is discussed
References are taken up and job offer and start date are confirmed

Applicant turns up for first day of work with paperwork for joining company, including P45, possibly signed contract etc
Applicant, now an employee, hands over P45 to payroll clerk who enters detail onto payroll software and returns it to the employee.
Crack on with the new job.

So the P45 only enters the process after an offer has been made, and confirmed. Plus the only person that sees the P45 is the payroll clerk, certainly not the hiring manager (unless there is only one person in this organisation)

Finally, the P45 only shows income in the previous Financial Year, if you haven't been earning since 6 April in the year, then you don't hand over a P45 anyway.

So I could keep the cleaning job off my CV?

Tailor your CV to the job you apply for. You only have limited space on your CV, so only put stuff that is relevant and makes you look like gods gift to whatever organisation you're applying for. It isn't just where you live that the job market is ****, it's **** everywhere.

If the cleaning job has something relevant to offer include it. If it doesn't, leave it off and put something more useful in, possibly say on your covering letter that you currently have a part time job to support your self.

Yes. The key to making a competitive CV is to fill a single side of A4 with evidence of relevant skills. It is not necessarily a complete chronology of your life to date.

If you want to make this explicit, then rather than title the experience section Experience, put Relevant Experience, which then makes it clear gaps might be because of irrelevant experience.
Reply 12
no cause you're not forced to put it on your c.v.
I don't think it's a negative at all! Think of all the things you can talk about from this role, even if it's not want you want to do for long. You can use it for examples in interviews to demonstrate you're hard working, go above and beyond expectations, team player etc.

When I finished University I was doing admin/reception work at a dry cleaners and I used the skills in that role to talk about in an interview for a publishing company. They hired me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending