The Student Room Group

Can someone please give me a rough idea how much insurance will cost?

Hello guys,

I'm currently 16 but in 6 months time i will be buying my first car! The car i will probably end up getting is either:

BMW 3 Series 2.0 320d SE 2dr
BMW 3 SERIES 320I SE 2.0 2dr

I want either because if i have the money why not? :smile:

Can someone please just let me know how much insurance will cost roughly? I will be 17 (obviously)

Thanks a lot guys :smile:
Why not just go on an insurance site to find out?
You haven't given nearly eno ugh information anyway

But make sure that you're sitting down when you do
Reply 2
Why would you get a BMW 3 series as your first car? Unless you're an incredibly rich 17 year old and you have thousands to blow away that's a stupid idea
Reply 3
You're looking at £2500 and upwards at the very least. Most insurers would not even give you a quote. 17 year old with a 2.0 BMW spells trouble for them. Go on compare the market and look though.

How do you have the money to buy yourself a car that costs thousands of pounds?
Original post by Meepyy
Hello guys,

I'm currently 16 but in 6 months time i will be buying my first car! The car i will probably end up getting is either:

Can someone please just let me know how much insurance will cost roughly? I will be 17 (obviously)

You are asking the wrong people. We wont know how much it will cost as it varies enormously from person to person. It also depends on a lot of other factors, such as who you are, where you live, the car, any named drivers (and their driving history), where you keep the car- both during the day and at night (e.g. on the drive, at work, in the garage) etc etc etc
Get a quote and find out.
Id sit down first though. Quotes for normal 17 year olds are stupid anyway. But with a BMW it will be even worse. Quite a few insurers would not even give you a quote. 17 year old with a 2.0 BMW spells trouble for them. If they do give you a quote it wont be anything below £5000 i bet.
When I first passed my test I was getting quotes of 1800-3000 for either a bug or a mini.. and I was 17 and a female. A BMW will be so much more. I have a mini now (owned by BMW) nad paid £800 for three people on business insurance after i'd had my licence for two years
I got a 2 litre focus and i pay around 2500 a year with a blackbox. I was looking at a 3 series and i was being quoted around 10k and upwards. Im 17 too

And on top of that you got the cost of actually passing your test, taxing the car and fuel.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Meepyy
Hello guys,

USE A CAR INSURANCE SITE

Why would a group if students know the going insurance rates for a 17 year old.

It just seems very attention seeking tbh.
Reply 8
Probably more than the cost of a new car lol
A 17 year old with a 3 series BMW :rofl:

Just get a Corsa like everyone else.
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
USE A CAR INSURANCE SITE

Why would a group if students know the going insurance rates for a 17 year old.

It just seems very attention seeking tbh.

"hey guys im 17 and i can afford a bmw 3 series"

:rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
if you can afford a bmw at your age.. then you should afford the insurance lol, it will be around 5000£ probably, with a black box
Original post by Treeroy
You're looking at £2500 and upwards at the very least. Most insurers would not even give you a quote. 17 year old with a 2.0 BMW spells trouble for them. Go on compare the market and look though.

How do you have the money to buy yourself a car that costs thousands of pounds?

Dont all new cars cost at least a few thousand? I know people sometimes get used cars quite cheap, but thats one hell of a gamble.
Reply 13
Original post by Laomedeia
Dont all new cars cost at least a few thousand? I know people sometimes get used cars quite cheap, but thats one hell of a gamble.

It's not "one hell of a gamble", you look at and assess whether the car has any issues and you research whether there's any known faults that might occur. You should never ever buy a new car (especially not for your first car), they depreciate as soon as you sign the contract. The max you should spend on your shitbox is £1500.
Reply 14
I dont see why everyone is getting salty,

my uncle told me he will sell me his old BMW 520d for less then £5K (probs around 3-4). I can afford that easily but insurance will be the issue
It isn't that people don't argue about the car choice/value, (at least in my case)
Loads of people that I knew starting out driving had offers of cheap or free family cars but they were not suitable for a learner

The cost of insurance is varied by all sorts of conditions but mainly the cost of repairs and likelyhood of an inexperienced owner having a crash

You need to go to an insurance site to get a price

I have heard of cars valued at £1k needing a premium of £10k

A young male in a dangerous area in a powerful/expensive car is a liability to the insurance industry
Original post by Meepyy

my uncle told me he will sell me his old BMW 520d for less then £5K (probs around 3-4). I can afford that easily but insurance will be the issue

I have a mini (they're owned by BMW) and when I looked when i first passed I was getting quotes of around 2k, now i've had my license for 2 years my insurance was £800, you're going to be looking at around 5k at a minimum. Have a look at go-compare or confused.com for an idea
Reply 17
Original post by Meepyy

A 2 litre car? Bahahaha, good luck even getting a quote, let alone affording it.

I could have easily gone and bought a used BMW when I passed my test, that is not the issue. To be frank, I'd judge you as being rather irresponsible.
Reply 18
Original post by Meepyy

I did a quick quote assuming a few details, and the best quote was 8k. Good luck mate. Good luck.
I got a £3,000 quote for a people carrier when I was in my twenties (clean license, too). I wouldn't be surprised if you were asked to pay several times the value of the car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending