The Student Room Group

Year 10 Work Experience HELP!!

Hey, I'm 15 and looking for work experience. I'm interested in media but all of the places I have emailed said I have to be 16 to do work experience with them. I also dance and the other subjects I enjoy are Maths and Spanish. I don't want to end up in a café or my old primary school. Has anyone been able to get work experience in Media or any other good ideas (London Area)
Original post by megankatieh
Hey, I'm 15 and looking for work experience. I'm interested in media but all of the places I have emailed said I have to be 16 to do work experience with them. I also dance and the other subjects I enjoy are Maths and Spanish. I don't want to end up in a café or my old primary school. Has anyone been able to get work experience in Media or any other good ideas (London Area)

Don't stress, it isn't the end of the world. Just keep calling up places, and if they keep replying with the same answer, then ask your school to help you find a place to work in. To be fair,year 10 work experience doesn't even matter in the long run. Working in a primary school or a cafe isn't bad, you'd be surprised how fun it can be and what kind of experience you can receive.
Original post by KabirAhmad
Don't stress, it isn't the end of the world. Just keep calling up places, and if they keep replying with the same answer, then ask your school to help you find a place to work in. To be fair,year 10 work experience doesn't even matter in the long run. Working in a primary school or a cafe isn't bad, you'd be surprised how fun it can be and what kind of experience you can receive.

"Year ten work experience doesn't matter" no that is not true it does matter because on your application for sixth forms or colleges they'll ask you where you had your work experience and yeah OP I understand when you say you don't want to end up in a primary school because that's where everyone goes at the end of day but it's good to different
And what exactly do you like in media?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Year 10 work experience is absolutely futile. Work experience only counts in the run up to university application , during college/sixth form years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't do work experiance in year 10 and although it would have benefitted me it's hasn't made a difference tbh. Just keep trying and something will fome through 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I know how you're feeling. I want to work in the tv/film industry, and knew this even when I was your age. I live in north london so emailed EVERY tv/film production company I could find and the ones which replied all said i was too young, which left me feeling so disheartened.

In the end I managed to get a response from velvet TV which is based in manchester (luckily I have family there so was able to stay there for the week) and had the most amazing week which I was able to write about in my personal statement as even though it was 4 years ago it is still relevant to my uni course, so I don't agree with people saying it doesn't matter.

I would recommend trying smaller, more local companies. Many big companies have insurance that means they can't support under 18's, but the smaller ones don't have this. Some ideas are:

-your local town newspaper
-your local radio station
-hospital radio station
-any local based companies which might have a media/PR department

I know this many not seem as exciting as spending a week at a big name magazine or TV studio, but the skills you will learn at smaller companies will be exactly the same and it's still a great place to start.

Wishing you the best of luck, keep persevering! The knockbacks you're experiencing are a massive part of working within the media industry so don't take it to heart too much. And remember that once you're 18, with hard work and determination you will be able to get any amount of work experience/unpaid vacancies to boost your CV so if you end up not being able to get something relevant now, it's not the be all and end all.
Hey guys well basically I’m in sort of a dilemma I have work experience but it’s from my school I got told what it was 2 weeks ago and it’s a nursery and I don’t wanna go because It’s a waste and I have other reasons but my school said that if I don’t go I’ll pay £150 and o really don’t wanna go because a) it’s not what I asked for b) it’s far from me and transport costs c) it’s far from me and my mum isn’t happy with it being far from her d)I wanna revise in the meantime.i just wanna know if I don’t go what will happen to me will my parent have to pay £150 if I’m sick from Monday to Friday basically my work experience do my parents still have to pay even though my parents don’t have that sort of money

Quick Reply

Latest