The Student Room Group

Stress problem

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this so apologies if not.

I've got a basic (?) stress problem here which I've attached to this post, it's question 8. I know the formula is force/CSA but I'm not getting anywhere near the right answer (0.034N/mm^2).

Could someone give me some help please - this is all very new to me and I'm not sure if any units need changing first. I've worked the CSA out as 100,000mm.

I tried to attach a picture but for some reason it keeps failing - here is the question:

By considering a typical metre length of wall calculate the stress at the base of a 2m tall, 100mm thick, concrete blockwork wall, with a self weight of 17 kN/m^3.
Original post by meloj
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this so apologies if not.

I've got a basic (?) stress problem here which I've attached to this post, it's question 8. I know the formula is force/CSA but I'm not getting anywhere near the right answer (0.034N/mm^2).

Could someone give me some help please - this is all very new to me and I'm not sure if any units need changing first. I've worked the CSA out as 100,000mm.

I tried to attach a picture but for some reason it keeps failing - here is the question:

By considering a typical metre length of wall calculate the stress at the base of a 2m tall, 100mm thick, concrete blockwork wall, with a self weight of 17 kN/m^3.

The wall is 100 mm thick = 0.1 m wide. If you consider a section of the wall 1 m long, then the weight is given by density x volume i.e.

W=ρV=ρhlw=17×103×2×1×0.1W=\rho V = \rho hlw = 17 \times 10^3 \times 2 \times 1 \times 0.1 N = 3400 N

Now find the area of the base of that section of the wall, expressed in mm squared, and apply the stress formula.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending