Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Possibility of transferring next year?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

Hi, First year student here. I am studying at the University of East Anglia.

I came here for the course. I enjoy my course immensely but I don't particularly have much to say in terms of positives about my experiences at this university.

I am not from England (Northern Ireland) and I am finding it too much of a culture shock to be bothered with living here for an extended time period. The people in Southern England are reserved (almost aloof) and that is not something that I am used to, I also find it difficult to know what a person's true intentions are here because they don't make it quite clear. I generally find it quite hard to break into the English culture, I feel that they form cliques groups quickly and stick to their own people. Having Asbergers (although very mild, almost unrecognisable) makes this difficult to deal with.. not knowing a person's true intentions, for example, does not make life easy for me.

It is also quite expensive living here (I have to contend with paying £100 every six weeks to go home which is not something I would have to pay at home), living costs are higher; the local shop in the university is a rip off, they charge £3.50 for a Fillet Burger as an example - although this can be negated by going to the Tesco Express. One thing that I find irritating is the bus system, while it is fairly good they do not accept cash cards for payment so I have to take out £10 from the ATM machine every time I go on the bus. The Lower fees (£3,500 v £9,000) are something which are definitely enticing me to going back home.

I live on my own in an apartment which is exceedingly lonely, I don't have much fun living alone - it is not something that I am happy about/nor used to. I can cope with that for a while - just not two more years. Having no one to confide with is depressing.

Anyway, i'm not enthusiastic about being here - I don't necessarily think that it is the university that is the problem - it is more than likely not a good fit for me.

I am now looking into the possibility of transferring to either Queen's University/ Ulster in Northern Ireland but I am not sure if that is feasible? The course that I am doing is not available in Northern Ireland but I would be willing to change to a slightly different course in order to have the ability to go home.

I don't know if this is realistic? How do I go about doing this? Given my circumstances is it likely that Queen's etc would accept me? I think going back to Northern Ireland might make my situation slightly more bearable? I think having Asbergers and dealing with a different sort of culture is not going to work well.

I'm afraid nobody here can tell you if they'd accept you or not, you need to speak with the university directly. There is a lot of information about the transfer process in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1781424
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.