Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Anyone works or worked for a night club could tell me what it's like?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

So I just wanted to know a bit more about what it's like working for a night club. As far as I know there are several types of roles - handing out leaflets, selling tickets, being a promoter on the street trying to encourage people to go in the club, working at the bar or entrance stamping, photographer.*

My question is, how are all these paid, ie. Hourly rate, commission based on how many tickets sold, *or maybe not even in money but just free club entries and vouchers etc. Also how much can one expect to earn? I study in Leeds so would be particularly interested to hear from people up north but anywhere else too!*

I'm also interested to know what the hours are like, and how you get treated both by other staff and managers and customers.
    In short, is it enjoyable/worth getting a job in a club or would I be better off continuing work in McDonald's?*

Thanks in advance! I hope I put this question in the right section.*

Most will be minimum wage

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most of these jobs will be minimum wage.

I can only speak from my experience as a bartender.. it's certainly a mixed bag doing this job. You could have an amazing time if your colleagues are fun and the atmosphere for staff is relaxed and you are encouraged to have and good time in order to help the customers have a good time. However, you will also get very dirty, sweaty, and be drenched in alcohol by the end of the night because of the speed and volume at which you need to serve drinks. There is a lot of heavy lifted and physical work behind the scenes. Also, you will see the darker side of nightlife when you are sober... there can be a lot of fights, drunkenness, customers can be very very rude or sexually aggressive with you... But you will also have the complete backup of security if someone steps out of line, you are never in danger. You actually have a lot more control of how the customers treat you in a nightclub than in retail for example because your and power to get them thrown out/barred is very high.

be careful doing this job whilst at university because it will affect your own social life (you cannot always join your friends because you will be at work... customers wil lrecognize you in town and may act strangely towards you)
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.