The Student Room Group

(Female) Work outfits? What do you wear each day?

I'm starting my first job next week (in an accountancy practice) and I have some smart shirts/blouses and trousers but idk what I'm going to wear each day?

How often do you rotate your clothes? And shoes?

I honestly have no idea what's socially acceptable in the workplace

Detailed advice would be much appreciated
Original post by Anonymous
I'm starting my first job next week (in an accountancy practice) and I have some smart shirts/blouses and trousers but idk what I'm going to wear each day?

I would say email/contact your employer and ask for what the dress code is.

I'm not a girl and I don't really study the clothes of the women at my workplace but they dress fairly smart, though on somedays they do wear jeans and flats (though I think that's just the dress down fridays here) and other times a skirt and a blazer and stuff. But honestly, you will fit in and work it out fairly quickly once you see other people there or you ask.
I work part-time in a restaurant waiting tables, but it's quite posh so I have to wear a white shirt, black skirt and black tights. Shirt is normal except it has some branding on it. Skirt is quite tight, above the knees a bit and tights are black black and meant to be 20 denier, but can be a bit different and they haven't ever said anything.

I'd not be expected to go in wearing stuff from a previous day, as would probably smell of food and me and have some food mess on them anyway. Actually have a spare set of everything with me always so I can change if I need to, but that's because it's easy to spill stuff and it shows up on plain white and black a lot.
I have 5 shirts (mostly white) and a cardigan, there's really not much choices out there when it comes to plain clothes. I got some comfy black shoes from the clarks outlet.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

I think it should be obvious that you wear fresh clothes every day
I wouldn't wear the same thing two days in a row (except trousers or a very plain skirt as that won't be noticable). A top tip is to hang your clothes up when you come home so you can wear them another day and they'll be aired nicely and will be basically clean (obviously check it's clean before you put it on but on the whole it works well). In particular let your deodrant dry completely before dressing as old deodrant can build up in your clothes smell pretty rank, there are also underarm pads you can buy that stop you sweating directly onto your clothes (I mention this because when my casual clothes get sweaty I can just put anything else on while we often have less work clothes and the fabric is usually less breathable so you have to be a bit more careful about things like sweating).

Try not to wear the same outfits all the time. Mix-and-match your individual items so you have more individual outfits (if you struggle with this, try some ideas out in your free time and then photograph them for reference when you're actually getting ready for work).

I worked in a clothes store so we had to wear clothes from the shop and it was pretty difficult to get time to wash them (the clothes were expensive and our uniform allowance was pretty small). Definitely plan a week of outfits and keep on top of washing. Now I'm a PhD so I wear whatever (though I still follow my general rules on washing, airing, etc., and I also don't wear offensive t-shirts, stained clothes or tracksuit bottoms to the office).
Reply 6
You could get some simple dresses (obviously not too short) and wear tights and flats with them. Get different coloured cardigans and blazers.
Just all black. Either trousers or skirt and tights, a black t shirt with the club logo and black pumps.
I work in a office and I like to dress nice I would always were a low top and a nice skirt with heels my boss likes it and change every day x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending