The Student Room Group

4 A2 Levels?

Hey,
I am currently a Year 11 student picking my A Level options. I've decided I want to study Maths, Physics, Economics and Computer Science. My question is how difficult is it to study 4 A2 subjects? Would it be similar to keeping up with so many GCSE subjects or will it take up even more of my time?
I have already completed 5 GCSEs. 2 in Year 9 and 3 in Year 10. Results are as follows, followed by predicted grades for the subjects I'll be sitting this year:

Achieved:
A* Arabic (Year 9)
A ICT (Year 9)
A* Biology (Year 10)
A* Geography (Year 10)
B French (Year 10)

Predicted:
8 English
8 English Literature
9 Maths
A* Chemistry
A* Physics
A* Business Studies
A* Statistics
(edited 7 years ago)
It's doable if you're highly organised.

However, there is no reason to do it. Universities will only judge you on your three best subjects. Taking four subjects would increase your chances of failure.
Reply 2
Original post by Abstract_Prism
It's doable if you're highly organised.

However, there is no reason to do it. Universities will only judge you on your three best subjects. Taking four subjects would increase your chances of failure.

Why do some people take 4 A2 then?
Original post by 12hamadin

We are rebels :tongue:

Jk. My fourth is Further Maths and I take it because my school doesn't offer it so I have to self teach. Also, the workload is okay for me to handle and maths + fm is basically one subject anyway. In year 13 btw
I wish I had taken 4 A2s. What actually happened was I took 4 ASs in year 12 (AAAB - maths further maths, physics and german) and then three A2s (A*A*A* - maths, further maths, physics) and two ASs (AA - chemistry and additional further maths) in year 13, so I ended up with 6 ASs and 3 A2s.

However, the workload at A level is much, much greater than at GCSE - make sure you take this into consideration. It will probably come as even more of a shock to your system as you have spaced out when you've taken your GCSEs, and hence decreased your workload.

It is better to take 4 A levels and get, for example, A*A*A*A, than it is to take three like I did and get A*A*A*. But, if by taking 4, you spread yourself too thin and end up getting ABBC, it would have been much, much better just to take three.

Don't underestimate the amount of work A levels are - but you yourself know what workload you can cope with :smile:

Sometimes their school forces them to take 4 (General Studies/Critical Thinking), sometimes they mistakenly believe taking 4 will improve their chances of getting a uni offer, sometimes they need to take a particular subject to get onto a uni course (Usually Further Maths), and sometimes taking 4 is actually beneficial, as in my case. My fourth subject is a BTEC Subsidiary Diploma, equivalent to 1 A-level. I take it because it's basically a guaranteed Distinction* - equivalent to an A* - and it has no exams and doesn't require any revision. Some of my universities accept it, meaning it will be much easier to meet their offers because the BTEC serves as a 'reserve' subject of sorts. But this wouldn't work with a 4th A2 because A-levels are actually difficult.
Reply 6
It is possible, but it's probably better to not to do 4. I've had a few friends pull it off and a few friends spread themselves too thin, and then didn't get into their choice of Universities. Doing 4 A2s doesn't give you an advantage into being accepted, so be aware of this!I would say don't do 4 as you may hinder your chances, it's better to have 3 good A2s then 4 OK A2s.
At my sixth form we were encouraged to do only 3 based on the amount of work you would have to do. However if your highly organised feel free to go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
4 A2s are unnecessary and just mean more stress and anxiety with a greater chance of doing less well on 4 than you would have done just taking the 3 which you actually need for university entrance. Remember that A levels are a means to an end, not an end in themselves, and once you're at university no-one will care about the grades - nor will they really be of much relevance once you've graduated.
I'm taking 4 because some unis count Maths and Further Maths as one subject.
I've got some friends even doing 5 A2s (including Further Maths) - but again, it's not necessary.

If I were you I'd drop the computer science for Further Maths... I don't know much about it but my friends who take it say it's difficult + there's limited resources. At least for Maths and FM you've got websites like examsolutions etc.
Reply 10
Original post by hellomynameisr
We are rebels :tongue:

Jk. My fourth is Further Maths and I take it because my school doesn't offer it so I have to self teach. Also, the workload is okay for me to handle and maths + fm is basically one subject anyway. In year 13 btw

I see haha good luck in your final year!
Reply 11
Original post by loveire&song
I wish I had taken 4 A2s. What actually happened was I took 4 ASs in year 12 (AAAB - maths further maths, physics and german) and then three A2s (A*A*A* - maths, further maths, physics) and two ASs (AA - chemistry and additional further maths) in year 13, so I ended up with 6 ASs and 3 A2s.

However, the workload at A level is much, much greater than at GCSE - make sure you take this into consideration. It will probably come as even more of a shock to your system as you have spaced out when you've taken your GCSEs, and hence decreased your workload.

It is better to take 4 A levels and get, for example, A*A*A*A, than it is to take three like I did and get A*A*A*. But, if by taking 4, you spread yourself too thin and end up getting ABBC, it would have been much, much better just to take three.

Don't underestimate the amount of work A levels are - but you yourself know what workload you can cope with :smile:

Thanks for the advice! I'll make sure to take it on board and focus on the workload I can cope with.
Reply 12
Original post by sj10
It is possible, but it's probably better to not to do 4. I've had a few friends pull it off and a few friends spread themselves too thin, and then didn't get into their choice of Universities. Doing 4 A2s doesn't give you an advantage into being accepted, so be aware of this!I would say don't do 4 as you may hinder your chances, it's better to have 3 good A2s then 4 OK A2s.

But wouldn't universities be more likely to accept a student who for example has achieved A*A*A*A* rather than a student with A*A*A* or is that not the case?
Reply 13
Original post by amelienine
I'm taking 4 because some unis count Maths and Further Maths as one subject.
I've got some friends even doing 5 A2s (including Further Maths) - but again, it's not necessary.

If I were you I'd drop the computer science for Further Maths... I don't know much about it but my friends who take it say it's difficult + there's limited resources. At least for Maths and FM you've got websites like examsolutions etc.

Yeah I have heard about the significant difficulty of Computer Science and continue to wonder why. I do definitely see a shortage of A* grades in this particular subject.
But wouldn't universities be more likely to accept a student who for example has achieved A*A*A*A* rather than a student with A*A*A* or is that not the case?

From my experience - nope! Plus remember when you apply you haven't actually achieved the grades. Also, an A* at A level is much much much much harder to get than at GCSE.
I'm doing 4 A2s now. I considered dropping one of the subjects at the start of the year but was advised not to by some college staff. Honestly, taking four A2s is better since unis consider your top 3 A levels - as mentioned by some others on here. So, for example, if you get A*A*A*A, then it's better than getting A*A*A if you decided not to take a subject in which you could potentially get an A*. In the end, it's up to you and how much time you're willing to dedicate to studies and how much you enjoy the subjects you're taking :smile:

Quick Reply