The Student Room Group

Why do the Bremoaners hate Britain so much?

The referendum losers mystify me, they really do. Many of them are my own friends and family, I read witterings in the press and BBC on a daily basis, and yet I still can't grasp the mindset.

Many seem to actively want Brexit to fail, they are pulling for Britain post the referendum to collapse economically, diplomatically and financially. How stupid and self defeating is that? Do they care more about being proved right (in their own estimation) in a voting decision than the welfare of their country?

Why do they hate Britain SO much?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought it was the brexieteers and the right wing who hated the "Liberal, pc, luvvie, filled with cucks" Britain.
Reply 2
Perhaps you're not as astute as you think Astutehirstute. I don't want the brexit to fail, but i THINK that it will. Hence why i didn't vote for it, and now don't wholeheartedly support it. I think its an ill advised idead. I hate Britain do i?
Original post by Bo Paske
Perhaps you're not as astute as you think Astutehirstute. I don't want the brexit to fail, but i THINK that it will. Hence why i didn't vote for it, and now don't wholeheartedly support it. I think its an ill advised idead. I hate Britain do i?

Nope, I still don't get the mindset.

Surely we need to make the best of the post Brexit situation, rather than talking down the country?

There has been a continuous campaign from Bremoaner politicians and their friends in the media to say what a disaster we face.

OK, so there hasn't been a recession as we forecast, but just you wait. There will be!

House prices haven't collapsed (actually that would be a good thing) but you wait, they will!

An over valued currency has corrected too sharply, and perhaps overreacted to the downside for a while, before the speculators close their positions for a profit and move on.

We won't be able to buy Marmite any more! (Even though all its raw ingredients are sourced from and it is made in, the UK).

It is pathetic.
Reply 4
Original post by astutehirstute
Nope, I still don't get the mindset.

Surely we need to make the best of the post Brexit situation, rather than talking down the country?

There has been a continuous campaign from Bremoaner politicians and their friends in the media to say what a disaster we face.

OK, so there hasn't been a recession as we forecast, but just you wait. There will be!

House prices haven't collapsed (actually that would be a good thing) but you wait, they will!

An over valued currency has corrected too sharply, and perhaps overreacted to the downside for a while, before the speculators close their positions for a profit and move on.

We won't be able to buy Marmite any more! (Even though all its raw ingredients are sourced from and it is made in, the UK).

It is pathetic.

We haven't left Europe yet have we?

I agree, we do need to make the most of the brexit. But i have my concerns about it, same as you had your concerns about being in europe. I could of said, before the brexit, that you must have hated england because it was in europe, and were moaning about that fact. ridiculous, you and everyone else is entitled to an opinion, but thats your logic isn't it?
Ikr, a pro-EU guy from Italy I knew, pretty much hated me for voting out and is now at Cambridge then going back to Italy just because we left, before we left it was all good blah blah blah then when we left he panicked and talked down UK.
Reply 6
What your complaning about, seems to be the fact that people who voted remain aren't now hard core brexiteers. Why should they be?

If the referendum had gone the other way would you have gone "Ok, the UK wants to remain. So i'll now wholeheartedly accept the EU"? I doubt it. So why should someone who voted remain do the same?

The majority of the UK may want to leave the EU, and i accept that. But that doesn't mean i want a brexit. I never did, and i still don't.
We haven't left Europe yet have we?

I agree, we do need to make the most of the brexit. But i have my concerns about it, same as you had your concerns about being in europe. I could of said, before the brexit, that you must have hated england because it was in europe, and were moaning about that fact. ridiculous, you and everyone else is entitled to an opinion, but thats your logic isn't it?

No, my logic is that you don't accentuate the negative constantly, and sow division in plain view of your antagonists, when we are facing the most difficult and important negotiations for a generation.

No-one says that we don't face challenges. Freedom doesn't come free, and we are going to have to seriously get our act together as a country.

That means having a united front. Pulling together, not fighting the referendum campaign again and again, every day in the press and broadcast media.

Take this campaign to force a parliamentary vote before negotiations start. It is utterly absurd. The EU has no interest in giving us anything, we will have to fight for every last cent.

That means we have to be able to threaten to walk away without a deal, and be believed.

We can't tie the government's hands behind its back by holding some sort of parliamentary vote deciding terms before negotiations start.
I get what you mean OP. There are some people who cares more about their ego and being right, than actually the outcome.

Luckily those people are usually not very good at debating, and there are some decent remainers here.
Reply 9
No, my logic is that you don't accentuate the negative constantly, and sow division in plain view of your antagonists, when we are facing the most difficult and important negotiations for a generation.

No-one says that we don't face challenges. Freedom doesn't come free, and we are going to have to seriously get our act together as a country.

That means having a united front. Pulling together, not fighting the referendum campaign again and again, every day in the press and broadcast media.

Take this campaign to force a parliamentary vote before negotiations start. It is utterly absurd. The EU has no interest in giving us anything, we will have to fight for every last cent.

That means we have to be able to threaten to walk away without a deal, and be believed.

We can't tie the government's hands behind its back by holding some sort of parliamentary vote deciding terms before negotiations start.

Well almost half the votes were for remain, and there's freedom of speech in this country, so i think your "united front" is nothing more than a ridiculous pipe dream. And i hate to say it, but you brexiteers have sown your fair share of division, not least of all about immigration, which is the sole reason many people voted for the brexit.

After the brexit campaign, there's little wonder that the country is deeply divided. Those who percieve immigrants as a threat to their livelyhood and culture and those who don't, its a shambles, there are more important problems in this country that have nothing to do with immigrants or the EU.
And I'm assuming that if we voted to stay, all the Brexiters would have become EU cheerleaders with I Love Merkel T-shirts.
Reply 11

I do agree with what you're saying in principal, but come on man, when will the UK ever put up a united front? i think the referendum was an example of why that will never happen, and i think cameron could have realise the division that it would cause if he'd have stopped to think about it.
Well almost half the votes were for remain, and there's freedom of speech in this country, so i think your "united front" is nothing more than a ridiculous pipe dream. And i hate to say it, but you brexiteers have sown your fair share of division, not least of all about immigration, which is the sole reason many people voted for the brexit.

After the brexit campaign, there's little wonder that the country is deeply divided. Those who percieve immigrants as a threat to their livelyhood and culture and those who don't, its a shambles, there are more important problems in this country that have nothing to do with immigrants or the EU.

Brexit was about regaining sovereignty, not immigration. Controlling immigration is a function of our taking back control, one of many, albeit a very emotive and contentious one.

We can choose to impose immigration controls or not, the point was that whilst in the EU we didn't get to decide that as a people, as represented by our parliamentary democracy.

Now we do.
I do agree with what you're saying in principal, but come on man, when will the UK ever put up a united front? i think the referendum was an example of why that will never happen, and i think cameron could have realise the division that it would cause if he'd have stopped to think about it.

You may be right, perhaps I am too idealistic to think the Remainers will eventually accept their defeat and pull for their own country.

Interestingly, Martin Shultz, the German President of the European Parliament is worried we will get our act together...

“I consider it to be very possible that the Brits will know exactly what they want at the start of negotiations, but that Europe still won’t be able to speak with a single voice…”
Brexit was about regaining sovereignty, not immigration. Controlling immigration is a function of our taking back control, one of many, albeit a very emotive and contentious one.

We can choose to impose immigration controls or not, the point was that whilst in the EU we didn't get to decide that as a people, as represented by our parliamentary democracy.

Now we do.

We have sovereignty in the EU.

I don't want Brexit to happen because I know it will **** up our lives and our country. I don't hate Britain. I just don't think that we're as ****ing special as many people who voted Leave do. I know that the EU won't give us any deals if we leave because we're saying '**** you', why would the EU give us anything? I'm also terrified of how the far right and fascism will spread through Europe. It's starting and I don't want to live in that world.

So yes, maybe I am hoping for an economic crash soon. Because then our government will realise the damage leaving the EU will do BEFORE Theresa May goes beyond the point of no return...
Reply 15
You may be right, perhaps I am too idealistic to think the Remainers will eventually accept their defeat and pull for their own country.

Interestingly, Martin Shultz, the German President of the European Parliament is worried we will get our act together...

“I consider it to be very possible that the Brits will know exactly what they want at the start of negotiations, but that Europe still won’t be able to speak with a single voice…”

You can't expect them to "accept defeat". For a bremainer, what has changed to make you suddenly want to leave europe?

People have their own minds, their own opinions which are strongly held. I'm pretty sure the only way you'll suppress that is if you don't have free media and resort to dictator style tactics. But if that were the case we'd have never had the referendum in the first place.

What i'm saying is you can't expect people to change their whole world view and "accept defeat", thats just ridiculous. And those who voted remain are still citizens of this country, so they're entitled to have a forum in which there views are expressed. Same as the brexiters are.

If that makes the country chaotic and divided, well thats a small price to pay for freedom of speech. And like i said, i think if cameron had stopped and thought about it, he could have seen what could happen. Hes ****ed it up for himself now anyhow
Original post by SmallTownGirl
We have sovereignty in the EU.

No we don't.

I don't want Brexit to happen because I know it will **** up our lives and our country.

You can see the future? Cool!

I don't hate Britain. I just don't think that we're as ****ing special as many people who voted Leave do.

There in one, short, sad, hopeless sentence, is why Remain lost, and Leave won.

Yours is the minority view, a majority love their country and think it is very very special indeed.

The EU and globalisation have killed nationalism and the nation state? Yeah, right...

I know that the EU won't give us any deals if we leave because we're saying '**** you', why would the EU give us anything?

I suspect you are right on this at least. I don't think the EU will do us any deal either, and we are destined for a "hard Brexit."

You ask, why would they give us anything, though? Because it is quite reasonable for a nation to politely leave their little club. And not to find some kind of mutually acceptable deal, on their part, is both stupid and vindictive.

Good job we are leaving people like that, huh?

I'm also terrified of how the far right and fascism will spread through Europe. It's starting and I don't want to live in that world.

If you are worried about the rise of fascism you should pray for the demise of the EU.

It failure to manage the migrant crisis and the failure of the free movement ideal (wonderful in theory, a catastrophe in practice) has led to huge rises in far right parties in Sweden, Germany and France. Amongst others.

So yes, maybe I am hoping for an economic crash soon.

Seriously?? If so, I rest my case.
If we'd stayed then there would've been constant moaning as well. I'm not sure what point this thread is making about remain people specifically.

Yours is the minority view, a majority love their country and think it is very very special indeed.

For what reason? The shitey tea or the faux-manners?
No we don't.

You can see the future? Cool!

There in one, short, sad, hopeless sentence, is why Remain lost, and Leave won.

The EU and globalisation have killed nationalism and the nation state? Yeah, right...

I suspect you are right on this at least. I don't think the EU will do us any deal either, and we are destined for a "hard Brexit."

You ask, why would they give us anything, though? Because it is quite reasonable for a nation to politely leave their little club. And not to find some kind of mutually acceptable deal, on their part, is both stupid and vindictive.

Good job we are leaving people like that, huh?

If you are worried about the rise of fascism you should pray for the demise of the EU.

It failure to manage the migrant crisis and the failure of the free movement ideal (wonderful in theory, a catastrophe in practice) has led to huge rises in far right parties in Sweden, Germany and France. Amongst others.

Seriously?? If so, I rest my case.

We are a sovereign state recognised by the UN. That is literally ALL having sovereignty means.

I like Britain. I like living in British. I'm happy being British. But I understand that we're not the super power we were when we had an Empire based on killing people, destroying cultures and forcing people to be slaves. (And tbh anyone who's proud of that and wants to return to those 'great days' is a disgusting shitbag.) We're no more special on a world stage than any other country of roughly the same GDP. We're kind of insignificant really. And that's ok. We don't have to be a world power. But we do need to accept that because we're not one no-one gonna rush to do any deals with us.

We can leave the EU. We're allowed to. But the EU is perfectly allowed (and entirely reasonable) to turn around to us and tell us that we don't get to leave and then pick and choose what benefits we want to keep. The EU isn't being 'vindictive'. We are telling the EU we hate it. No person or organisation thinks it should do someone or something a favour after that. If you told your friend that you aren't actually friends anymore you won't get invites to their house parties afterwards. No matter how cool, or important you are.

And trust me, the people who voted Leave are following a fascist. The vote lead to racism and bigotry. If you're looking for fascism, look at Farage. The EU doesn't make people fascists. Nationalism does.
Original post by oShahpo
I thought it was the brexieteers and the right wing who hated the "Liberal, pc, luvvie, filled with cucks" Britain.

Lol.

Yeah the same right-wingers who are the supposed defenders of free speech should have no problem with people moaning as loud as they like.

Quick Reply

Latest