The Student Room Group

Why do the Bremoaners hate Britain so much?

Scroll to see replies

I hear people complain about "bremoaners" just as much as the complaints about leaving the EU and brex**** lol

But in seriousness when your future is effected by a massive decision like this and the media is constantly reporting at best mixed reports on how brexit is going before we have even triggered article 50 then of course people will be moaning. The same think happened in Scotland in 2014 with some people on each side calling each other traitors. Don't pretend if brexit failed there wouldn't be sore losers on the other side.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
We are a sovereign state recognised by the UN. That is literally ALL having sovereignty means.

I like Britain. I like living in British. I'm happy being British. But I understand that we're not the super power we were when we had an Empire based on killing people, destroying cultures and forcing people to be slaves. (And tbh anyone who's proud of that and wants to return to those 'great days' is a disgusting shitbag.) We're no more special on a world stage than any other country of roughly the same GDP. We're kind of insignificant really. And that's ok. We don't have to be a world power. But we do need to accept that because we're not one no-one gonna rush to do any deals with us.

We can leave the EU. We're allowed to. But the EU is perfectly allowed (and entirely reasonable) to turn around to us and tell us that we don't get to leave and then pick and choose what benefits we want to keep. The EU isn't being 'vindictive'. We are telling the EU we hate it. No person or organisation thinks it should do someone or something a favour after that. If you told your friend that you aren't actually friends anymore you won't get invites to their house parties afterwards. No matter how cool, or important you are.

And trust me, the people who voted Leave are following a fascist. The vote lead to racism and bigotry. If you're looking for fascism, look at Farage. The EU doesn't make people fascists. Nationalism does.

Erm ... I'd argue that sovereignty does mean more than just being recognised as such by the UN
So ... I think the point is this. There isn't anything wrong with being of the opinion that brexit is a bad thing, or expressing that point of view, but there is something incredibly ... disheartening about seeing people who seem to be happy with the idea of Britain collapsing after brexit, just so that they can be proven right. And also seeing people who have no desire to, in spite of this not being an ideal situation to do what they can to make it work well, to remain an open global minded country etc. etc.
Original post by astutehirstute
The referendum losers mystify me, they really do. Many of them are my own friends and family, I read witterings in the press and BBC on a daily basis, and yet I still can't grasp the mindset.

Many seem to actively want Brexit to fail, they are pulling for Britain post the referendum to collapse economically, diplomatically and financially. How stupid and self defeating is that? Do they care more about being proved right (in their own estimation) in a voting decision than the welfare of their country?

Why do they hate Britain SO much?

Just because Leave won, does not give them the right to silence the Remainers. People have a right to air their view, even ones that are different to yours or anyone else. Welcome to democracy.
Original post by Blimey1000
Just because Leave won, does not give them the right to silence the Remainers. People have a right to air their view, even ones that are different to yours or anyone else. Welcome to democracy.

After all Brexit was about reclaiming our democracy apparently.

To use a sports analogy; if your team loses you don't suddenly go and support the opposition instead.
Original post by Bailey280899
I suppose you're all for our sovereign parliament having a vote on enacting Article 50 - since you care so much about democracy?

52% voted for Brexit in a yes/no question. The only way that this can legally be achieved is by enacting Article 50.

What we are witnessing before our eyes is called democracy, my friend.
Original post by limetang
So ... I think the point is this. There isn't anything wrong with being of the opinion that brexit is a bad thing, or expressing that point of view, but there is something incredibly ... disheartening about seeing people who seem to be happy with the idea of Britain collapsing after brexit, just so that they can be proven right. And also seeing people who have no desire to, in spite of this not being an ideal situation to do what they can to make it work well, to remain an open global minded country etc. etc.

Yes, but it is even worse than this.

Some of them (even on this thread!) WANT Britain to collapse so they are proven right.

The only people who WANT Britain to collapse, hate the country.

Why else would you seek such a calamity.?
Reply 47
Yes, but it is even worse than this.

Some of them (even on this thread!) WANT Britain to collapse so they are proven right.

The only people who WANT Britain to collapse, hate the country.

Why else would you seek such a calamity.?

I thought Brexiters want the country to collapse, thats why they ignored all the warnings about it.

We have had our democratic vote and now need to see it exercised, not subverted.

After a General Election, the losing Party concedes defeat. It argues against the new Government's polices, obviously, but it accepts the legitimacy of the result.

That is a convention in our democracy and a crucially important one.

What we are now witnessing is an attempt to overturn that democratic decision, a lack of acceptance of the result.

This is VERY dangerous.
Original post by JamesN88
After all Brexit was about reclaiming our democracy apparently.

To use a sports analogy; if your team loses you don't suddenly go and support the opposition instead.

No, but you don't accuse the match officials of corruption and try and get the match replayed to achieve a different result.

Edit: And when that doesn't work hope the stadium get burnt down with all the club's players and supporters still inside...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 50
I think the reason why "Bremoaners" make the opposing point about Brexit is typified by the lack of comprehension of basic economics and politics in your post. Firstly, it is important to remember that the UK hasn't actually left the EU; the current turmoil in the economy (pound being at 163 year low, investment halted, inflation rising, GDP growth slowing etc) is based on what the markets expect IF the UK leaves the single market. As the UK is still in the single market, the full impact of the decision to leave the EU has not been felt. Essentially, if you think the economy is doing well post-Brexit: you are wrong.

This nicely leads to my second point, you need to read a book if you think a fall in currency is not a bad thing. A devaluation in the Pound means Ā£1 is worth less compared to other foreign currencies. Therefore, everything we import (which is a lot) becomes a lot more expensive, hence inflation. This will affect everything from the weekly shop to trips abroad. Essentially, our national wealth just fell by 20%. This may, for a short period, boost our exports, but once exporters lose privileged access to the single market, their goods will become relatively more expensive - cancelling out any perceived benefit. Essentially, please do not read the Express or Daily Mirror for economic lessons; read a book or a professional journal.

Thirdly, the fact that Marmite is made in this country is irrelevant. Many of its constituent ingredients, from the plastic jar to the gas which transport it to the supermarket, are imported, which now due to the fall in the pound is more expensive (see above).

Lastly, the fact that people point this out, and continue to make the opposite case for Brexit is part of our democracy. One of the supposed reasons many Brexiteers voted the way they did. So labeling people Bremoaners or accusing them of "talking the country down", because they highlight the inconsistencies or outright lies from the Brexit camp, just highlights the fact that you do not have anything intelligible to say.
(edited 7 years ago)
We have had our democratic vote and now need to see it exercised, not subverted.

After a General Election, the losing Party concedes defeat. It argues against the new Government's polices, obviously, but it accepts the legitimacy of the result.

That is a convention in our democracy and a crucially important one.

What we are now witnessing is an attempt to overturn that democratic decision, a lack of acceptance of the result.

This is VERY dangerous.

Remember, the referendum is technically an "advisory", but Parliament can't ignore it and would have to respect it - and rightly so.

However, people still have a right to air their view, otherwise you'll have the tyranny of the majority. Just because the 52% won, does not mean it can silence the 48% and unilaterally dictate everything. Telling the minority (and its a big 48% minority here) to be quiet, is not how we do thing here in Britain. Its just not British.
Remember, the referendum is technically an "advisory", but Parliament can't ignore it and would have to respect it - and rightly so.

However, people still have a right to air their view, otherwise you'll have the tyranny of the majority. Just because the 52% won, does not mean it can silence the 48% and unilaterally dictate everything. Telling the minority (and its a big 48% minority here) to be quiet, is not how we do thing here in Britain. Its just not British.

Yeah, they have the right to air their view, but we are four months on from the Referendum now and they still won't shut the feck up. Christ, enough already...

Tyranny of the majority??

Tyranny of the minority, more like.
Original post by PJJ12345
I think the reason why "Bremoaners" make the opposing point about Brexit is typified by the lack of comprehension of basic economics and politics in your post. Firstly, it is important to remember that we haven't actually left the EU; the current turmoil in the economy (pound being at 163 year low, investment halted, inflation rising, GDP growth slowing etc) is based on what the markets expect the country to do IF it leaves the single market. As we are currently still in the single market, the full impact of the decision to leave the EU has not been felt. Essentially, if you think the economy is doing well post-Brexit: your wrong. This nicely leads to my second point, you need to read a book if you do not think a fall in currency is not a bad thing. A devaluation in the Pound means Ā£1 is worth less compared to other foreign currencies. Therefore, everything we import (which is a lot) becomes a lot more expensive, hence inflation. This will affect everything from the weekly shop to going on holiday. Essentially, our national wealth just fell by 20%. This may for a short period boost our exports, but once they lose privileged access to the single market, there goods will become relatively more expensive again and we will be left with more expensive goods. Essentially, please do not read the Express or Daily Mirror for your economic lessons. Read a book or a professional journal. Thirdly, the fact they Marmite is made in this country is irrelevant. Many of its constituent ingredients from the plastic jar to gas which fuels it to the supermarket is imported, which now due to the fall in the pound is more expensive (see above). Lastly, the fact that people point this out and continue to make the opposite case for Brexit is part of our democracy. One of the supposed reasons many Brexiteers voted the way they did. So you labeling people Bremoaners or accusing them of "talking the country down", because they highlight the inconsistencies or misunderstandings from the Brexit camp, just highlights the fact that you do not have anything intelligible to say.

The fact that someone whose own post was well nigh unreadable criticises another for being "unintelligible" is ironic to say the least.

Have you ever heard of paragraphs? Of punctuation? Do you not know it is "you're" not "your" in that context? Embarrassing.

Clean up your turgid post, lose the grammatical howlers and we might be able to have a sensible discussion.
No, but you don't accuse the match officials of corruption and try and get the match replayed to achieve a different result.

Edit: And when that doesn't work hope the stadium get burnt down with all the club's players and supporters still inside...

So tell me,
This means that if the vote went the other way you would openly and equally admonish the Brexit voters that display the same attitude the remain voters are displaying now?
Original post by StrawbAri
So tell me,
This means that if the vote went the other way you would openly and equally admonish the Brexit voters that display the same attitude the remain voters are displaying now?

That is a hypothetical question, and therefore undeserving of an answer.

(If you don't mind my saying. :biggrin:)
Reply 56
The fact that someone whose own post was well nigh unreadable criticises another for being "unintelligible" is ironic to say the least.

Have you ever heard of paragraphs? Of punctuation? Do you not know it is "you're" not "your" in that context? Embarrassing.

Clean up your turgid post, lose the grammatical howlers and we might be able to have a sensible discussion.

I didn't think you would be able to come up with an intelligible response with facts and/or evidence. I can clean up my grammar; i didn't re-read my post because i am at work. Regardless, you have next to no understanding of basic economics, with statements such as "why has the price of Marmite gone up? its made in UK." Embarrassing.
Original post by PJJ12345
I can clean up my grammar; i didn't re-read my post because i am at work.

You can't even clean up your grammar in the sentence when you say you can clean up your grammar.

Going from the past to present tense in the same sentence without a temporal qualifier?

Embarrassing.

:biggrin:
Reply 58
You can't even clean up your grammar in the sentence when you say you can clean up your grammar.

Going from the past to present tense in the same sentence without a temporal qualifier?

Embarrassing.

:biggrin:

Hence the semi-colon, indicating that they are independent clauses.
It's also worth remembering that the Leave campaign told outright lies (which were proven to be lies) and promises that they either couldn't keep or had no way of knowing if they could keep. They tactics of the Leave campaign would have been considered illegal during a general election campaign...

Quick Reply

Latest