The Student Room Group

I got A-Levels and I'm doing a Level 3 Apprenticeship

Hi there,

I completed my A-Levels last summer and applied for Level 4 IT Apprenticeships, however I didn't get into them. The apprenticeship provider insisted that I should do a Level 3 IT Apprenticeship and I'm with a really good company and all, but I don't know if I've made a mistake doing something at the same level as A-Levels.

Sometimes I feel that I'm at the same level as 16 year olds (I'm 19 btw) because we are technically in the same level of education. Will I be put at a disadvantage? How can I explain why I did both A-Levels and L3 Apprenticeship? I did it for the experience, but in terms of qualifications I feel like my A-Levels are a waste.

Any thoughts?
I am currently studying toward an L3 qualification, I have A level, but my college would not let me entry the higher level course without a revenant L3 qualfaction.

for you, if they are offering the chance to do Level 4 next year, then just grim and bear it, it will all be worthwhile in the end.
Original post by Toy Soldiers
Hi there,

I completed my A-Levels last summer and applied for Level 4 IT Apprenticeships, however I didn't get into them. The apprenticeship provider insisted that I should do a Level 3 IT Apprenticeship and I'm with a really good company and all, but I don't know if I've made a mistake doing something at the same level as A-Levels.

Sometimes I feel that I'm at the same level as 16 year olds (I'm 19 btw) because we are technically in the same level of education. Will I be put at a disadvantage? How can I explain why I did both A-Levels and L3 Apprenticeship? I did it for the experience, but in terms of qualifications I feel like my A-Levels are a waste.

Any thoughts?

What did you get in your A levels?

Also don't worry about it man.
Hey guys - I have left my university after doing a few weeks in Computer Science cuz I absolutely hated uni life as well as my course. I've always been a creative person - not that technical. And I didn't enjoy it at all. I made a mistake and I'm I realised that sooner. Otherwise ...
Anyway so I am looking into whether doing a new creative computing course next year at another uni or applying for apprenticeships. I have spoken to two companies already who are willing to give me one by the end of the month if I agree and they think I'm the right candidate for apprenticeships.
But .... Dunno what to do. My dad said its fine not getting a degree as apprenticeships make people quite successful. But then there's that question 'who would you employ - the one with a degree or without a degree?' I would rather get a degree anyway.... But what if I just get lazy after doing my level 3 apprenticeship and think 'nah, I'll just get a job now, forget uni'

Please help me :frown:
Hi there,

Any thoughts?

Do not feel like your A level are a waste. I just wasted my chance to do a degree ... But now I finally have realise that that's not what I wanted to do.
A levels are so good to keep for a back up if you ever decide to go university anytime. You can study any time. Age does not matter.
I am in a similar situation - shall I go to uni next year with the right course I have chosen or apprenticeship in IT/digital media? I still want a degree. 6th form - everyone has been told that a degree is the only way... It's sad cuz there are other routes and not everyone wants to go to uni.... I was being set up to fail. The uni I went to was Kings College and people thought I was crazy to leave but to be honest - I wasn't happy. So I should do what's best for me - like you should do what's best for you.
Dude, I feel you but like, I have A-Levels and have to start at Level 2 because its a different type of training, Rando A-Levels and GCSE's have nothing to do with what you're actually doing in the apprenticeship, Don't focus so much on the levels, You've gotta start somewhere, and in the grand scheme of things, doing the level 3 might suck a bit now but its getting you ready for level 4 and 12/24 months is no time when you're getting ready for a life's career in this ****.
Original post by cooliobeans
Dude, I feel you but like, I have A-Levels and have to start at Level 2 because its a different type of training, Rando A-Levels and GCSE's have nothing to do with what you're actually doing in the apprenticeship, Don't focus so much on the levels, You've gotta start somewhere, and in the grand scheme of things, doing the level 3 might suck a bit now but its getting you ready for level 4 and 12/24 months is no time when you're getting ready for a life's career in this ****.

Yeah I understand - but I wish to do an apprenticeship that is in line with what my A levels were because those are my best interests Media and IT. Yeah sure - the schemes I have contacted about are offering level 3 and then a level 4. I would preferably like to do Level 4 cuz I have already gained 2 A level passes (LEVEL 3).

What do you mean by '12/24 months is no time when you're getting ready for a life's career in this **** '?

Thanks xx
Sorry for the late replies! Had a busy week and forgot to check TSR.

Original post by georgeheal
I am currently studying toward an L3 qualification, I have A level, but my college would not let me entry the higher level course without a revenant L3 qualfaction.

for you, if they are offering the chance to do Level 4 next year, then just grim and bear it, it will all be worthwhile in the end.

Yeah, you're in a similar position as me, but I got the offer to study Computer Science at Uni. I ended up deferring the year, getting a rubbish part-time job until I went and did the apprenticeship I am doing now. I'm fighting to get the company to do a Level 4 course or degreeship so hopefully we'll have more value after the 2 years and then can go onto these higher courses.

Original post by WhoDaresWins
What did you get in your A levels?

Also don't worry about it man.

I got A-Levels in Business, Psychology and Computing. Got a C in Computing due to unforeseen circumstances as I really wanted a B, but managed to suck it up ad move on.

Original post by EXOMENDES 101
Do not feel like your A level are a waste. I just wasted my chance to do a degree ... But now I finally have realise that that's not what I wanted to do.
A levels are so good to keep for a back up if you ever decide to go university anytime. You can study any time. Age does not matter.
I am in a similar situation - shall I go to uni next year with the right course I have chosen or apprenticeship in IT/digital media? I still want a degree. 6th form - everyone has been told that a degree is the only way... It's sad cuz there are other routes and not everyone wants to go to uni.... I was being set up to fail. The uni I went to was Kings College and people thought I was crazy to leave but to be honest - I wasn't happy. So I should do what's best for me - like you should do what's best for you.

I hold a lot of value having A-Levels because 2 apprentices also have A-Levels and another 1 was a uni dropout. Around 2/3 of apprentices started the apprenticeship with only GCSE's so I do think it is a bit unfair but I am doing a Level 3 apprenticeship afterall. I don't feel that A-Levels are a waste, but that I could have got into something potentially better, but I'll just have to see.

I have the security of going to uni any time, but it's a big step up if you're building a career now and as you establish more money and responsibilities, I feel that there is less flexibility to go to uni. I really don't know and the uncertainty will be stressful.

Original post by cooliobeans

Good point, don't really want to be focusing on levels but more on experiences and working your way up from there. It's the Qualifications vs Experiences debate really, but it depends on what you're end goal is as you can't become a doctor/surgeon/lawyer with an apprenticeship really. I work in IT and I do have knowledge gaps compared to someone with a degree. Just hopefully the company will sponsor degrees in the future.

Must found difficult having A-Levels and going back to study the equivalent of GCSE's, if I may ask, what are you doing your Level 2 in?
Hey Toy Soldiers.

Yeah I understand what you mean - you kinda feel like you are back at the bottom where GCSE students are as they have gone straight into an apprenticeship after leaving school. Yes, I get how when you already get into an apprenticeship/job, it is so hard to plan going to university - but like you said, you are safe cuz you have A levels and you can go to uni at any time. The question is: when?

I am in the same conflict. While I am still deciding whether I should apply for 2017 entry for Creative Computing or do an apprenticeship in Digital Media and IT, I am applying for part time jobs to keep me going, so I keep busy, get experience, put more stuff on my CV/Application to show that I have kept myself busy, expanding my skills and I didn't just sit on my *** and do nothing. I have a meeting with Arch Apprenticeship - they are pretty good and well known for Digital Media and IT - so after that, I will probably know whether this is the right step for me and start ASAP.

How is your apprenticeship and what does it entail?
Hey Toy Soldiers.

Yeah I understand what you mean - you kinda feel like you are back at the bottom where GCSE students are as they have gone straight into an apprenticeship after leaving school. Yes, I get how when you already get into an apprenticeship/job, it is so hard to plan going to university - but like you said, you are safe cuz you have A levels and you can go to uni at any time. The question is: when?

I am in the same conflict. While I am still deciding whether I should apply for 2017 entry for Creative Computing or do an apprenticeship in Digital Media and IT, I am applying for part time jobs to keep me going, so I keep busy, get experience, put more stuff on my CV/Application to show that I have kept myself busy, expanding my skills and I didn't just sit on my *** and do nothing. I have a meeting with Arch Apprenticeship - they are pretty good and well known for Digital Media and IT - so after that, I will probably know whether this is the right step for me and start ASAP.

How is your apprenticeship and what does it entail?

I never really want to waste a moment; during my gap year, I hated my part-time job as a customer assistant at a sports store because of the repetitiveness and lack of prospects and progression. Sure, I can add more stuff to my CV but I never wanted to stay there for the next 6 months until I started uni. I don't want to sound impatient but I wanted to get started straight away and there were other reasons on why I didn't feel that uni was right for me.

My apprenticeship is going great actually as I'm learning lots of new skills and progressing really well, far beyond the other apprentices I think which makes me stand out more from the crowd. I want to get ahead so I don't want to get lazy and content at this stage, especially if it is only a Level 3 apprenticeship. You do get influenced by the other apprentices, especially when they don't work as hard as you do and aren't very disciplined and not work sincerely. e.g. not doing your hours.
I never really want to waste a moment; during my gap year, I hated my part-time job as a customer assistant at a sports store because of the repetitiveness and lack of prospects and progression. Sure, I can add more stuff to my CV but I never wanted to stay there for the next 6 months until I started uni. I don't want to sound impatient but I wanted to get started straight away and there were other reasons on why I didn't feel that uni was right for me.

My apprenticeship is going great actually as I'm learning lots of new skills and progressing really well, far beyond the other apprentices I think which makes me stand out more from the crowd. I want to get ahead so I don't want to get lazy and content at this stage, especially if it is only a Level 3 apprenticeship. You do get influenced by the other apprentices, especially when they don't work as hard as you do and aren't very disciplined and not work sincerely. e.g. not doing your hours.

Wow - are we twins? Cuz I feel the exact same way. Honestly, I never want to stop working or doing something, anything. I always have to be kept busy - but if all I can get now is a part time job as a customer assistant then so be it, at least I'm doing something. I can't figure out my next step yet so that's why I my plan is part time work. Of course, if I go with the apprenticeship by the end of this year then yeah Level 4, I'll try to find one that is right for me. And I will work so damn hard so people who doubted me or the uni I left can stick that up .... I may sound crazily worked up by all this, but it's just that I want to work so badly and just far so quickly. I know things take time, I am a bit impatient when it comes to that. But what's helping me go at a steady pace is the advice from my friends and family.

Ohh right - so that's a big problem or something you can avoid?
Wow - are we twins? Cuz I feel the exact same way. Honestly, I never want to stop working or doing something, anything. I always have to be kept busy - but if all I can get now is a part time job as a customer assistant then so be it, at least I'm doing something. I can't figure out my next step yet so that's why I my plan is part time work. Of course, if I go with the apprenticeship by the end of this year then yeah Level 4, I'll try to find one that is right for me. And I will work so damn hard so people who doubted me or the uni I left can stick that up .... I may sound crazily worked up by all this, but it's just that I want to work so badly and just far so quickly. I know things take time, I am a bit impatient when it comes to that. But what's helping me go at a steady pace is the advice from my friends and family.

Ohh right - so that's a big problem or something you can avoid?

Haha, I think we actually might be. :smile: Except I feel that I want to work smarter and not necessarily harder. I want to work in technology and I really hated my part-time job as a customer assistant because I was doing something with no relevance to my goals and ambitions. To be fair, it's too early to decide what those are, so that's another reason why I don't want to cash it all in by going to uni to do a CompSci degree.

Fair enough for keeping yourself busy, but I do hope you're still aiming high and working towards your goals in your spare/free time, to show those that doubted you who you've become. Impatience is also another common trait that we have as I want to keep moving forward and not in any way stall. I do think I can go far with what I am doing now, but I need to slow down and make important decisions what I hit those crossroads in my career.

Being influenced can be a big problem and the other apprentices do notice that I'm first in, last out, and that I do feel slightly frustrated if they aren't working properly, but I learnt that you can't really change people to how they should be and I don't want to make enemies by grassing up on them. I really just stick to my morals and continue to work sincerely, and hopefully it will pay off.
Haha, I think we actually might be. :smile: Except I feel that I want to work smarter and not necessarily harder. I want to work in technology and I really hated my part-time job as a customer assistant because I was doing something with no relevance to my goals and ambitions. To be fair, it's too early to decide what those are, so that's another reason why I don't want to cash it all in by going to uni to do a CompSci degree.

Fair enough for keeping yourself busy, but I do hope you're still aiming high and working towards your goals in your spare/free time, to show those that doubted you who you've become. Impatience is also another common trait that we have as I want to keep moving forward and not in any way stall. I do think I can go far with what I am doing now, but I need to slow down and make important decisions what I hit those crossroads in my career.

Being influenced can be a big problem and the other apprentices do notice that I'm first in, last out, and that I do feel slightly frustrated if they aren't working properly, but I learnt that you can't really change people to how they should be and I don't want to make enemies by grassing up on them. I really just stick to my morals and continue to work sincerely, and hopefully it will pay off.

Yeah - working hard and smart pays off in the end. I am definitely thinking about doing an apprenticeship now. I am applying to some at the moment. Anything relevant to my career choice. And let's just see how that goes and if it doesn't happen this year then 2017 is fine - I can still work till then. Yeah totally still aiming high - I'm so not gonna settle for less... I am starting more film projects cuz that is my true passion out of the media area. And yes it is hard to know what you want right now - no point wasting time on a degree you're not sure about. Even an interviewer at an apprenticeship company said that - they said I should be proud to realise it now and also said people are always changing career paths and it's not an issue. You can change and still be happy. Yeah take your time - the world will wait for you :wink:

Yeah just make sure you focus on eBay you're doing and the rest will take care of itself. Good luck! PM me if you have anything else you want to talk about. Nice talking!
I'm glad I have met someone with similar passions and dreams
Yeah - working hard and smart pays off in the end. I am definitely thinking about doing an apprenticeship now. I am applying to some at the moment. Anything relevant to my career choice. And let's just see how that goes and if it doesn't happen this year then 2017 is fine - I can still work till then. Yeah totally still aiming high - I'm so not gonna settle for less... I am starting more film projects cuz that is my true passion out of the media area. And yes it is hard to know what you want right now - no point wasting time on a degree you're not sure about. Even an interviewer at an apprenticeship company said that - they said I should be proud to realise it now and also said people are always changing career paths and it's not an issue. You can change and still be happy. Yeah take your time - the world will wait for you :wink:

Yeah just make sure you focus on eBay you're doing and the rest will take care of itself. Good luck! PM me if you have anything else you want to talk about. Nice talking!
I'm glad I have met someone with similar passions and dreams

Thank you. It was nice talking to you too. It's good to be taking the time to deciding what you really want in the end - a big passion of mine is also travelling so I need to figure out a balance between a corporate lifestyle and adventurous lifestyle. Perhaps a change in career paths may arise in the future. :smile: Good luck and yeah I'll definitely PM you if you're up for it. :smile:
Reply 14
They probably made you do your level 3 apprenticeship because an A-level and apprenticeship is very different. And if you have no work experience in IT that would be why. Level 4 and above is management remember!
Reply 15
Original post by Mycraze
They probably made you do your level 3 apprenticeship because an A-level and apprenticeship is very different. And if you have no work experience in IT that would be why. Level 4 and above is management remember!

Hi, you are replying to an old thread - and it's now closed :smile:

Latest