Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

How do you write a PDP?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

I'm a second year medical student, and we're being told that we have to write PDPs throughout our time at med school, but haven't even been told what they are. Can any one explain to me how to write them, what should be put in them etc.

Usually stands for Personal Development Plan. Unless you love this kind of thing and get more out of it than I do (so feel inclined to take it very seriously and come up with some kind of high level extra special learning points), I would say they are a box ticking exercise in which you make a bullet pointed list of things you want to 'develop' (also known as three or so things you were going to do anyway e.g. such gems as 'learn about respiratory conditions during my respiratory medicine placement' and 'improve history taking skills [during this placement where I have to take patient histories]'. You then say how you are going to do them - detailed plans such as 'turn up to respiratory clinic' and 'take some patient histories'. Then at the end you can go 'hey look I did these things wow I have developed as a person yay! Thank god I made that personal development plan without which I would be lost and probably have just sat like a mute shell of a person concentrating mostly just on my own breathing' and so on...

You have to do them as a Foundation trainee (and doubtless beyond). Huge time waste IMO but if you pick some incredibly obvious things you are like 99% likely to do anyway in the normal course of things, you can't get caught out by them at the end with somebody telling you you've not 'met' the random list of objectives you came up with early on.

Such a waste of time. Some medical education person will have written a theory on how its encouraging reflective practice and made up some buzz words like 'goal-directed learning' with precisely 0 evidence to back it up but bureaucrats love bureaucracy and think that everyone else should love it too and now everyone has to spend hours doing it.

The detail they expect could have a wide range - I suggest you find someone in the years above to see what they expect. My foundation year ones ended up being super-short because my consultants couldn't care less but people who work in medical education might be offended you don't like their theory (i.e. fail you) if you don't do more.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.