The Student Room Group

Help me with OCD

I have OCD because im paranoid my phscyo ex girlfriend might harm me
I have a ritual of "Blocking her"
Now, what I actually have to do to feel bettter is just trust my self to tell her to **** off when she tries to talk to me
Unforutnately, OCD is relatively un forgiving and persistent
Would appreciate some brutal advice
Have you seen extreme ocd camp? Have a look at that and try to apply their tactics to deal with your ocd.
Reply 2
Original post by Mvpmb
Now, what I actually have to do to feel bettter is just trust my self to tell her to **** off when she tries to talk to me

Hi.

I know how seriously seriously seriously annoying (putting it lightly) OCD can be.

Do you see anyone about it? Or have you been to the doctor? I couldn't deal with counselling as everyone I saw was useless and I've had bad experiences with that. But my OCD has gotten so bad at times I had to be on drugs (which I hated but they helped).

If not you may want to find a self-counselling book or something (recommend one that uses CBT). As that is one of the only things I found that was helpful and that I could stick at.

Everyone is different though. So try different options until you find what works. I know people who found counselling very beneficial.

Hope things get better!
Reply 3
Original post by letitiarw
Hi.

I know how seriously seriously seriously annoying (putting it lightly) OCD can be.

Do you see anyone about it? Or have you been to the doctor? I couldn't deal with counselling as everyone I saw was useless and I've had bad experiences with that. But my OCD has gotten so bad at times I had to be on drugs (which I hated but they helped).

If not you may want to find a self-counselling book or something (recommend one that uses CBT). As that is one of the only things I found that was helpful and that I could stick at.

Everyone is different though. So try different options until you find what works. I know people who found counselling very beneficial.

Hope things get better!

My system of treatment for my self is to abandon my rituals and simply accept my obssessions and channeling them into postivie thoguhts instead of rituals

I think I should Avoid this person - So I will
Not I think I should Avoid this person - So I will perform X ritual to ensure that happens
I can't really relate to what you're going through. I think a strict routine might help you 'manage' your life. For example, wake up, go to work, come back home, go for a run, sleep.

About your ex-girlfriend, I would just cut off communication entirely and block block block. Hopefully one day the message will get through to her that you no longer want anything to do with her.
Reply 5
Original post by sunnydespair
I can't really relate to what you're going through. I think a strict routine might help you 'manage' your life. For example, wake up, go to work, come back home, go for a run, sleep.

About your ex-girlfriend, I would just cut off communication entirely and block block block. Hopefully one day the message will get through to her that you no longer want anything to do with her.

Unforutnately the point is BLOCKING is the problem

OCD is a disease where your so dertimined to make something happen (in this case cuttin g off ties) that you go insane just to do it

The solution =

Letting go/Trust yourself!
Original post by Mvpmb

Hi, I understand about what you're experiencing as I've also been struggling with OCD. I'm really sorry that you're experiencing this

This is a strategy which has worked for me before and even if / when the OCD * becomes more of a problem again, I can just repeat this process:

Try to set yourself a goal for reducing the number of times that you block her. For me, for example, I reduced the number of times that I reduced a ritual was from 32 to 26. It doesn't have to be by any set value though.

Once you've become used to blocking her that number of times, reduce it again, (From 26 to 16 in my case, for example.) Continue to do this until you've eliminated the ritual

Does that all make much sense? Let me know if not and I can explain it better :smile:

* A Councillor suggested that I should refer to "My OCD" as "The OCD." It sounds a bit odd at first but it does change your mindset: "My OCD" makes you think that it's a part of you / that it defines you but "The OCD" makes you think that it's something separate that you can overcome. Because you can overcome it. It's not easy but it's possible and it's definitely worth it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest