The Student Room Group

If I want to increase my chances of going to Uni, should I not apply for an MSci?

Should I apply for a Bachelors or do Universities give you the Ba. offer if you don't get into the M.?
(edited 7 years ago)
I think it is better to apply for a 4 year course if you are interested in the subject. Otherwise apply for a 3 year course.
Reply 2
Original post by sunnydespair
I think it is better to apply for a 4 year course if you are interested in the subject. Otherwise apply for a 3 year course.

But I'm really worried about not getting any offers whatsoever from the Unis I want to go too.
Reply 3
bump
Original post by BrainJuice
But I'm really worried about not getting any offers whatsoever from the Unis I want to go too.

Universities will consider you for the BSc if they can't make you an offer for the MSci/MPhys

If you're worried you can always contact them directly and request that they do this.....but look on their websites, most will be clear that that is a standard part of the admissions process.
Original post by sunnydespair

Apply for the BSc, then switch to the MPhys later if you're doing well, however given the 1st year is the same they can also go the other way if you miss the % required
The MSci is pointless, you can do everything with a BSc that you can with an MSci.
Original post by Colinj451
Apply for the BSc, then switch to the MPhys later if you're doing well, however given the 1st year is the same they can also go the other way if you miss the % required

Changing from a 3 year to a 4 year course can cause funding issues.
Apply for the 4 year course.

Usually these courses start as one cohort with a common initial pathway and formally split for years 3/4. This means that there is usually some flex to switch between the two degrees - but it is more difficult to switch up (BSc to MSci/MSc etc) in terms of SF funding as in their eyes you are switching programs mid-degree and extending your degree. If you start an M degree then you can switch down for a shorter degree far more easily.

Most combined BSc/MSci programs have the same entry requirements so it makes no difference in terms of offer, but usually the M degree will have fewer initial applicants so this may increase your chance of an offer. Just be aware that for M degrees you need to show in your PS that you are interested in more profound things than the basic degree, that you have a deeper interest/knowledge/proven aptitude for the subject and are interested in current research areas within the discipline.

And btw, an undergrad M degree is not the same as a postgrad MSc, so this isnt a sneaky way of getting funding for a postgrad degree - but it is a bridge to postgrad that would put you in a better position to apply for postgraduate funding for a PhD etc, or applying for a graduate research job in industry, than just having a BSc.
What if you have, say, 3 predicted grades lower than the required for the msci course, so it's less likely you get an offer for the course and you want to apply the Bachelors and transfer later?
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
What if you have, say, 3 predicted grades lower than the required for the msci course, so it's less likely you get an offer for the course and you want to apply the Bachelors and transfer later?

No - if a university isn't willing to make you an offer for the MSci course then they'll automatically consider you for the BSc course instead. They can make offers for alternative courses.
Apply for the masters; you'll automatically be considered for the bachelors too
Surely apply for a mix? Apply for some Masters ( bearing in mind what grades you are likely to get - be a little ambitious, but not too much) and apply for a couple of Bsc Courses that can be your insurance. Things can change in A2 year - you may sit your mocks and the grades you get may differ wildly up or down from what you thought. Just make sure your five choices span a range of grades, so you have options. You can often, as previous posters have indicated, trade up to a MSc if you end up taking your insurance Bsc.

Quick Reply

Latest