Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Gothic or American Literature at A level

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Gothic: The Bloody Chamber and Dracula
    American: The Great Gatsby and The Grapes of Wrath
    (For OCR)
    Which is more enjoyable?

(Original post by PinkandBlue00)
    Gothic: The Bloody Chamber and Dracula
    American: The Great Gatsby and The Grapes of Wrath
    (For OCR)
    Which is more enjoyable?
    It really depends on what you like. Dracula is an all time favourite novel of mine and I've hated Gatsby ever since I first read it just before the film came out. However, I liked Steinbeck's The Winter of Our Discontent and it was amazing and Wrath is supposed to be one of his best works.

Gothic is all to do with the supernatural the anarchy that is religion. It also deals with science and the clash between that and a society that is in technological advances. It deals with monsters, ghosts and demons which represent Victorian's fear of change and progress. If you like that kind of stuff then go for it.

American Literature is a lot to do with nationalism and a large base community in terms of what it means to be an American. It deals with the loss of identity, political and social struggle of class. It also deals with inequality and the economical decline of America. Because your books are in 20th Century, it deals with a lot more realist themes and tackles this head on.

I do think Gothic takes a lot more effort out of you because it can be a bit more dense, especially Dracula. But that and Wrath are HUGE books so be prepared for the hard work. Chamber is hard in terms of its structure and Gatsby is hard in terms of its narratology and form.

But, if ever I'm stuck between which books to read next, I simply read the first chapter of the few and see which one I will most likely get into.

you can really get your teeth into Dracula.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2016
TSR Support Team
Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.