The Student Room Group

Give up on medicine?

I was told by a teacher that I should give up on medicine and pursue another career goal all because I got 4A* and she says I definitely need more to even be considered. Is this true? Should I just give up?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You would have needed 5 or 6 As at-least just to be given consideration by UKCAT heavy universities such as Manchester.
Original post by Richard73
You would have needed 5 or 6 As at-least just to be given consideration by UKCAT heavy universities such as Manchester.

So should I give up and pursue something else?
Yeah, your life is over. :,((( Omg there are no more options out there for you~~~not even one~~ñooooooooooooo-----Seriously, 4 A* is still really good. Just pursue something else or don't go to a top uni? >.> I go to a *****y uni according to the rankings, but the education so far at least to me has been great.
Original post by jenns_lifestyle
I was told by a teacher that I should give up on medicine and pursue another career goal all because I got 4A* and she says I definitely need more to even be considered. Is this true? Should I just give up?

What other grades did you get in GCSE's? 4A* in GCSE's or A-Levels?
Original post by SM6
What other grades did you get in GCSE's? 4A* in GCSE's or A-Levels?

GCSE, im in year 12 now. And i got 5A and 2B
What were your GCSE and A-level grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE, im in year 12 now. And i got 5A and 2B

It's not strong but not ridiculously weak. You could defo apply just get your AAA and a decent UKCAT and be realistic where you apply

Posted from TSR Mobile

The lady is an idiot how dare she kill your dreams she is only doing this as she knows her limitations and her dreams were killed don't anyone tell you that you cannot do something because they are the ones cannot achieve something so they are convinced that you cannot either.You will be a doctor if you want to no one can or will tell you that you cannot be who is she to kill your dreams to question your potential a nobody don't let anyone ever put you down.
i don't know what these people are talking about 4a*'s 5A's 2B's is amazing well done congratulations you should be proud.
Original post by Anonymous1502
The lady is an idiot how dare she kill your dreams she is only doing this as she knows her limitations and her dreams were killed don't anyone tell you that you cannot do something because they are the ones cannot achieve something so they are convinced that you cannot either.You will be a doctor if you want to no one can or will tell you that you cannot be who is she to kill your dreams to question your potential a nobody don't let anyone ever put you down.

Great motivational speech imo!!!

Just have some words from William Ernest Henley for you OP:

It matters not how straight the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll,

I am the master of my fate,

I am the captain of my soul.
Original post by wolfmoon88
Great motivational speech imo!!!

Just have some words from William Ernest Henley for you OP:

It matters not how straight the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll,

I am the master of my fate,

I am the captain of my soul.

Beautiful words thank you for sharing Hemingway's words much appreicated i too had been doubting my medical dream for some time.
No offence, but your teacher doesn't sound like she knows much about applying to medicine. Whilst it's true that loads of A*s at GCSE are important to some universities, applying strategically (i.e. not applying to some GCSE heavy universities such as Cardiff or Oxford) should definitely make matters simpler. Backing this up with good work experience/volunteering should result in a very competitive application.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
I got into manchester with 1A* 7A 3B and you did way better than I did as long as you apply strategically and get a really good ukcat and make sure you get your AAA at a-levels then you'll be fine dont listen to what anyone says an academic adviser told me to give up as well but I don't listen to her you can do it if you put your mind to it.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Beautiful words thank you for sharing Hemingway's words much appreicated i too had been doubting my medical dream for some time.

You must believe in the self-fulfilling prophecy! If you believe enough your dreams will come true!
Original post by BobBobson
4A* is not even close to enough. I don't think UCAS will even let you submit an application with grades that ****.

Rather than, putting this individual down and crushing her/his dreams, try and be motivational. I have friends who didn't even get A*'s at GCSEs, get into medicine at Cambridge so stop being pathetic because GCSEs are not a really indicator of an applicants ability. An amazing personal statement, outstanding A-Level grades and a great deal of work experience will do the job.

Hi Trust me your GCSEs are fine. Yes you can't apply to some places but if you truely believe in yourself, work hard and get good A levels you will get there. There are many people who get 10A*s at GCSE and then can't get anywhere near AAA at A level.

My GCSEs were similar to yours and I'm a 2nd year med student now and got 4 interviews the year I got in.
You will need to apply strategically but your GCSEs are fine.

Just focus hard on A levels and forget the past.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by futuremedic19
Hi Trust me your GCSEs are fine. Yes you can't apply to some places but if you truely believe in yourself, work hard and get good A levels you will get there. There are many people who get 10A*s at GCSE and then can't get anywhere near AAA at A level.

My GCSEs were similar to yours and I'm a 2nd year med student now and got 4 interviews the year I got in.

Wow thank you. What university do you go to?
Original post by futuremedic19

From oxford university website

We do not have any specific requirements for GCSE grades, though higher grades can help to make your application more competitive. Successful applicants typically have a high proportion of A and A* grades. Where possible, tutors will be made aware of the overall GCSE performance of the school or college where you studied. They will also have information on how you have performed compared with other Oxford applicants at similar schools. (See further information on how we use contextual data.) Tutors will also consider your achieved or predicted grades at A-level (or other equivalent qualifications), your personal statement, academic reference, and any written work or written tests required for your course. If your application is shortlisted your interview will also be taken in to account. If you feel that you did less well in your GCSEs than you might otherwise have done, for good reason, then you may still be able to make a competitive application. Examples would include disruption caused by change of school or system, severe discontinuity of teachers, bereavement, and debilitating illness. We take care to treat each application individually and would always take such mitigating circumstances into account, if they are brought to our attention. You may like to mention any such circumstances in your personal statement, and your referee should make sure to mention them clearly in their reference. Tutors will want to see how you improve your academic performance after your GCSEs and that you do well in your A-levels or other equivalent qualifications.

You can still go to Oxford !!!
my cousin got 2 a* and the rest a's and b's, and she accepted an offer from Liverpool for medicine last year :smile:

four a stars is great, don't let that put you off!

Quick Reply

Latest