Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Keep avoiding work goals, get distracted and procrastinate

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I think this is probably related to my anxiety/OCD. I have one career goal but I find it hard to focus on it and put in the time and effort to achieve it. I keep avoiding it, procrastinating or coming up with other work things that I could do but I have tried different things in the past and they just distract me for a while and I ultimately give up on them. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you tackle it? Did you just make yourself focus on your ultimate goal or try other things instead? I feel like part of me isn't sure if I am good enough to reach my career goal and if I can do it and it requires a lot of work (I know anything good does but when you just don't feel like doing anything most of the time mentally and physically it can be difficult). So maybe my insecurity is also playing a part as well as the depression symptoms. I think I tend to end up taking on too many jobs and then I just end up giving loads up and it's been pretty much a waste of time when I could have been focusing on my main goal but then other work things come up and I get really into them for a while, it's like a cycle but I'm not devoting all that time or perhaps much time at all or any time to my main goal.

If it's related to your anxiety then I would suggest going to the GP to get some support.
    Having struggled with mental health issues myself, I know both medication and talking therapy can be really helpful. Given how you've described your struggles, I would say that talking therapy such as counselling or CBT might be helpful as it could help you to work through the conflicts you've got around your thoughts, feelings and behaviours in relation to your future goals.
    I really hope you feel better soon

Are you at Uni? What career do you want?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.