The Student Room Group

Psychology help

If I want to become a Psychologist should I take Psychology, English Literature, and Business Studies for A levels?
You should try and take some more science A-levels to get into a good psych degree.
I recommend taking biology at least to AS.
Unless you're really set on doing business studies i'd try and swap that one, as its a pretty useless a level. Doing another science or maths a level would be the best preparation (as some courses require or desire two science a levels including psychology or maths), but for many courses just psychology would be fine.
Original post by iammichealjackson
Unless you're really set on doing business studies i'd try and swap that one, as its a pretty useless a level. Doing another science or maths a level would be the best preparation (as some courses require or desire two science a levels including psychology or maths), but for many courses just psychology would be fine.

business is not useless...
Original post by mariam687
business is not useless...

For a psychology degree it is.
Reply 6
Original post by Noodlzzz
For a psychology degree it is.

Not really. Depends on what route you want to take in psychology. If you want to do I/O Psychology then you should be knowledgeable in business. If you want to be a psychotherapist/psychologist/counselor and you want to have your own private practice, which is your own business, then you should have business and marketing skills. So it depends on if your psychology route would benefit from business knowledge.
Original post by salketo
Not really. Depends on what route you want to take in psychology. If you want to do I/O Psychology then you should be knowledgeable in business. If you want to be a psychotherapist/psychologist/counselor and you want to have your own private practice, which is your own business, then you should have business and marketing skills. So it depends on if your psychology route would benefit from business knowledge.

I didn't say it wasn't useful after a degree, but when admission tutors look at which A-levels you take, they are looking more for science subjects.
Reply 8
Original post by Noodlzzz
I didn't say it wasn't useful after a degree, but when admission tutors look at which A-levels you take, they are looking more for science subjects.

Oh I see, Im still kind of lost with all this A and AS talk because Im from America :frown:
Psychology, Maths and Biology and you're at an advantage.

Look at degree entry requirements to see what you're aiming for.
Don't some universities look for certain UCAS points rather than a preferred a level subject (bio/maths)?
Original post by byaakun
Don't some universities look for certain UCAS points rather than a preferred a level subject (bio/maths)?

The lower ranked ones do.
Original post by byaakun

The most important thing is that you meet the minimum a level requirements - for some univeristies you need at least two science a levels (including psychology or maths) to get an offer, others explicitly give lower a level grade offers to those with two sciences. If you're original question is also asking "which a levels will best prepare me for university psychology", then you could switch business studies to something else (see http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/).
The most important thing is that you meet the minimum a level requirements - for some univeristies you need at least two science a levels (including psychology or maths) to get an offer, others explicitly give lower a level grade offers to those with two sciences. If you're original question is also asking "which a levels will best prepare me for university psychology", then you could switch business studies to something else (see http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/).

Oh no I'm already in the beginning of my year 12 and studying A-level Psychology, Philosophy and English. I did really good in my GCSEs except my sciences so, I had no choice but to do Applied Science (BTEC) alongside my Psychology.
In total that's 4 subjects
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by byaakun
Oh no I'm already in the beginning of my year 12 and studying A-level Psychology, Philosophy and English. I did really good in my GCSEs except my sciences so, I had no choice but to do Applied Science (BTEC) alongside my Psychology.
In total that's 4 subjects

We'll you'll still be fine doing psychology at most universities... not that many request 2 science a levels... but they tend to be the better ones. In reality you don't need those a levels for to do well in a psychology degree- it just helps a bit with background knowledge - nothing which can't be made up for by extra reading/studying. That said I personally think statistics and to some extent biology a level would be the most useful as its covered to a greater depth at a level than most undergrad courses, whereas you'll cover in way more detail psychology at university, so the actual "facts" you learn in psychology a level aren't that useful (although it is good for getting a feel of the subject).
(edited 7 years ago)
We'll you'll still be fine doing psychology at most universities... not that many request 2 science a levels... but they tend to be the better ones. In reality you don't need those a levels for to do well in a psychology degree- it just helps a bit with background knowledge - nothing which can't be made up for by extra reading/studying. That said I personally think statistics and to some extent biology a level would be the most useful as its covered to a greater depth at a level than most undergrad courses, whereas you'll cover in way more detail psychology at university, so the actual "facts" you learn in psychology a level aren't that useful (although it is good for getting a feel of the subject).

Yeah, personally, if I could choose Biology then I would but because I can't then there's simply no way around it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest