The Student Room Group

cooking at uni

when i start at uni im going into self-catered because i want to learn to beable to cook for myself and not rely on others to do it for me.
my skills are pretty poor right now but am planning to get some training from the parents over the next month.
for people going into self-catered, what meals are you gonna be living on and how good are you?
for people already there, what are some quick and easy fav's? (i.e mac and cheese)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anything with minced meat I've found is useful. Lasagne or Spaghetti Bolognese for example. :smile:
Chilli (dead easy), Pesto chicken (even easier), Sausage casserole, veg hot pot, veg soup, fish, roasts.. not that different to what I have at home but will probably eat less meat to keep costs to a minimum. I'm quite handy in the kitchen and am really looking forward to flexing my culinary skills! :biggrin:

Pick out 3 or 4 of your favourite meals and get your mum to teach you how to make them (make big protions to freeze so you don't have to cook from scratch every single night) and learn how to make a basic soup, take baked beans and you'll be sorted!!

(apparently lots of students live on pasta and pesto?)
Omelettes, scrambled eggs, etc. are all good.

You can't go wrong with some pasta, sliced (and then fried) onion and tinned tomatoes. Add chicken, mince, whatever to it and it'll work. Noodles with things are also good, as are stir fries.

Things on toast, like cheese and ham and so on, are also good.

Cooking really isn't rocket science. OK cooking a full roast dinner might be reasonably complicated, but that's just because there's lots going on at once. Stick to simple things and you'll be fine.
Reply 4
I've learned how to make a pasta dish, which i'm hoping will get me through Uni :wink:
Chicken is a good thing to use if you have limited knowledge and ability regarding cooking, because it is easy to do, and you can cook and enjoy it in so many different ways. You can have it in a stir fry, a curry, with a salad, or even cook it up and add a sauce like country vegetable.

I'm looking forward to having to cook for myself at uni. I can cook, but I never, ever do it because my parents do.
Reply 6
some of the student cookbooks are good for recipes too. :smile:
Reply 7
i know this is coomon sense before anyone starts haveing a go at me but chicken is dangerous as it requires all surfaces be thuroughly cleaned after contact with raw chicken all utensils must be cleaned after contact with raw chicken basically anything which comes into contact with the raw chicken must be thuroughly cleaned before any contact with another item of food (trust me i was a kfc masterchef :rolleyes:
Reply 8
im a bodybuilder so i have 2 eat 6 meals a day, do you think peoople will get the hump with me if i spend 45 mins in the kitchen every night sorting out my meals for the next day ?
Reply 9
oh yeah has any one got any recipes for cheap and easy meals which are resonably healthy, cheers
Reply 10
there might be recipes on the TSR wiki.
Jo7007
when i start at uni im going into self-catered because i want to learn to beable to cook for myself and not rely on others to do it for me.
my skills are pretty poor right now but am planning to get some training from the parents over the next month.
for people going into self-catered, what meals are you gonna be living on and how good are you?
for people already there, what are some quick and easy fav's? (i.e mac and cheese)

cous cous.
Reply 12
Can't go wrong with sir-fry.

Yakisoba is great too. All you need is some chicken breasts, pepper, onion and spinach. Dab of soy-sauce with your noodles and you're done. Takes me about 10 minutes to cook.

edit: i should also add, that soy sauce is great - because you can put it on anything.
Reply 13
craig660
im a bodybuilder so i have 2 eat 6 meals a day, do you think peoople will get the hump with me if i spend 45 mins in the kitchen every night sorting out my meals for the next day ?

Hehe I tried doing that (I'm a skinny ****) but couldn't find the motivation to stick with it :frown:

Anyway, try cooking 2 or 3 days worth of meals in one go, storing them in tupperware boxes and refridgerating them. As each meal is pretty small you shouldn't be taking up that much space in the fridge :smile:
Reply 14
Milk
Hehe I tried doing that (I'm a skinny ****) but couldn't find the motivation to stick with it :frown:

Anyway, try cooking 2 or 3 days worth of meals in one go, storing them in tupperware boxes and refridgerating them. As each meal is pretty small you shouldn't be taking up that much space in the fridge :smile:

i love the gy, love that feelin of being all pumped when you come out and being able to have nice nighst sleep,

think you need to get a decent training partner to motivate you mate,

im planning on sneaking in my own mini fridge freezer into my room neway,

do you rekon ill get away with it ?

cheers
Reply 15
craig660

im planning on sneaking in my own mini fridge freezer into my room neway,

do you rekon ill get away with it ?

cheers

Some unis will let you have these, some provide them as standard and some won't let you have them at all. Remember that you can't really hide it lol, as cleaners etc will be coming into you room. If you're worried, call and ask your uni.
craig660

Only if you monopolise all the hobs/ovens when lots of people are wanting to cook. Most people will probably just be slightly amazed...
Reply 17
I'm vegan so my parents make me cook for myself anyway and my mum bought me a few recipe books so I don't starve!

My favourite meal is Indonesian Tofu curry- it takes about 20 minutes max to prepare and cook, and is just the best :biggrin:
Reply 18
another thing, are you and your roomates often all trying to cook at the same time and getting in each others way? is there a mad scramble at tea time? (for current students)
Jo7007
another thing, are you and your roomates often all trying to cook at the same time and getting in each others way? is there a mad scramble at tea time? (for current students)

I reckon it will be like that at first, but as you get to know each other more you'll probably cook for each other. Maybe.

Latest

Trending

Trending