The Student Room Group

Survey Question for a Design Student

Hello lovely medical students, doctors, everyone! First off, please move this if it's in the wrong place, but hopefully it isn't!I am in year 2 of a design course in DIT, and part of a 3 person group doing a presentation on diagnosis and the internet. We are researching how the internet has helped and hindered medicine (be that patients being better informed, less informed, more willing to visit a doctor or less etc, along with how technology has helped diagnosis, better patient outcomes, whatnot) along with how this might impact the future technology in this field. (We possibly might go on to design apps or programs to help in the future, and our teachers just want us to be informed of the whole situation!)We thought collectively, that asking everyday people would be great, but to ask the people actively living medicine in their daily lives, how they felt about the topic would give us a deeper insight into this changing society! So to break it down, as medically trained and awesome individuals, do you feel that patients (in general) use the internet in a wise way---are they informing themselves and being better patients, or is anxiety and fear of learning things they might not have standing in the way of treatment? Have you seen technology jump over the years---and have these advances helped you in your every day career helping the world? Does technology help and make what is always a stressful environment less, or can it obstruct it? Does technology give patients a better outcome, be that the sensors used in monitoring diabetic patients, etc? Does being in an online community help patients with things, for example, like lupus or hidradenitis suppurativa to better cope with their illnesses in a group of others who share the same?I'm sorry this is so nebulous, it's just information to get us started on forming our own ideas and how we might help in the future ! I can't thank you all enough for what you do already---it's a noble profession and we are lucky to have you all. Thank you again.
Reply 1
Original post by himebanana
Hello lovely medical students, doctors, everyone! First off, please move this if it's in the wrong place, but hopefully it isn't!I am in year 2 of a design course in DIT, and part of a 3 person group doing a presentation on diagnosis and the internet. We are researching how the internet has helped and hindered medicine (be that patients being better informed, less informed, more willing to visit a doctor or less etc, along with how technology has helped diagnosis, better patient outcomes, whatnot) along with how this might impact the future technology in this field. (We possibly might go on to design apps or programs to help in the future, and our teachers just want us to be informed of the whole situation!)We thought collectively, that asking everyday people would be great, but to ask the people actively living medicine in their daily lives, how they felt about the topic would give us a deeper insight into this changing society! So to break it down, as medically trained and awesome individuals, do you feel that patients (in general) use the internet in a wise way---are they informing themselves and being better patients, or is anxiety and fear of learning things they might not have standing in the way of treatment? Have you seen technology jump over the years---and have these advances helped you in your every day career helping the world? Does technology help and make what is always a stressful environment less, or can it obstruct it? Does technology give patients a better outcome, be that the sensors used in monitoring diabetic patients, etc? Does being in an online community help patients with things, for example, like lupus or hidradenitis suppurativa to better cope with their illnesses in a group of others who share the same?I'm sorry this is so nebulous, it's just information to get us started on forming our own ideas and how we might help in the future ! I can't thank you all enough for what you do already---it's a noble profession and we are lucky to have you all. Thank you again.

Wow those are a lot of questions, and this is a huge topic!!

I think that a lot of patients will use the internet in a wise way - there are a lot of websites which doctors can refer them to in order to learn more about their condition and get support. On the flip side, however, there is a huge platform for misinformed and uneducated people to spread ideas about medicine which are incorrect and damaging (especially 'alternative' cancer treatments and the anti-vaxx movement).

Technology can, without a doubt, improve the monitoring and outcome of patients. I can't think of any occasions off the top of my head where it has been obstructive!

There is also huge evidence showing that support groups can improve patient experiences - there is nothing worse than thinking 'it's only me'. In supportive communities, whether they are online or in person, people can share experiences of medication and how best to manage their day to day life, especially with chronic and disabling conditions.

Have a look at the Merck manuals - they have an app and website for professionals and lay-people, and I honestly think it's amazing and so easy to use!
Reply 2
Ah thank you for a very thought-out and through answer! I really appreciate it! And I've never heard of Merck, I will be looking them up now! Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending