The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
LittleMissTwinkle
Hi, thanks for replying.

about 'the guide to studying' are you being sarcastic? im not quite sure:confused: if not, then please post it on here:smile:

thanks for the advice! :biggrin: it will come very in handy.

:biggrin:

no this time i'm not being sarcastic :smile: fortunately for you. well i'm not sure, i'll have a look at my old folders, no guarantees. it's written in 'slang' language though, which i suppose only brummies or my friends will understand lol. i'm kinda like a mentor to them, i keep passing materials to em in msn :redface:

planning to convert it to tsr-style though, we'll see.

oh and another thing, when you're revising, you need to be relaxed. don't think about deadlines and whatnot; deadlines always give an impression that that's the time you will really die :p:
thanks everyone for all your reply's! i didn't think many people would reply. everyone on here is so nice and friendly:smile::love:

i will definately keep all your tips in mind. and if anybody wants to add to the tips list, then go ahead and say it:biggrin: its much appreciated.

Oh and CHEZUA, i'd be over the moon if you found it:smile: and don't worry about the slang. i use slang all the time, apart from on message boards:P

:love:
Reply 22
Right, revising is so boring but there are ways of doing it.

First put a question book in the car. Sounds stupid but i bought the CGP maths question book and kept it in the car so that when i was there i did a bit. I also had the revision book with it so if i didnt know how to do it i would teach myself. Ive said i would help with your maths Via email or Msn if you want.

Use lots of colour in your notes, you will remember it. Do spidergrams, charts, anything thats quick and easy to read.

When you get home from school, read and reread your notes from that day until they are stuck in your mind. Then during half terms and holidays, take time to learn that terms work

Also to make revision easier, write in your boos as neat as possible, spread it out, use a bit of colour and pictures.

Get all the revision books you need and take time to learn from it

Do past papers. You can get them from their website, along with answers.

Copy your notes out again. Your at an advantage at the moment because its summer holidays. you can sit in th gargen and do some learning
Reply 23
Don't Revise too early
Reply 24
Colourful revision guides [e.g. CGP and Letts are both fantastic] help with their simple layouts, bright colours, easy explanations etc. :smile:
Reply 25
I would have to say I only revise the day before for my exams, though I doubt this is a very good idea. I think the main thing to remember is to relax - no matter how much you revise, if you're too nervous, you're not going to do well.

With revision notes, you should try and find out what type of learner you are (Our school gave us a whole day dedicated to memory techniques...) e.g. some people learn more if they listen to it, whilst others learn better if they read it. Find out which way you learn best from, and stick to it. There's nothing wrong with recording something and playing it back many times - in fact, if you had something repeated to you enough, I don't think you'd forget it in a hurry :smile:

I also think writing down stuff helps, but don't write on large sheets either - get some small cards. This way, you can take them with you and read them whenever you have time.
just dont worry about them!!
Reply 27
LittleMissTwinkle
thanks everyone for all your reply's! i didn't think many people would reply. everyone on here is so nice and friendly:smile::love:

i will definately keep all your tips in mind. and if anybody wants to add to the tips list, then go ahead and say it:biggrin: its much appreciated.

Oh and CHEZUA, i'd be over the moon if you found it:smile: and don't worry about the slang. i use slang all the time, apart from on message boards:P

:love:

*feels guilty*

i think i've deleted it. lemme ask some of my mates whether they still got the file or not :redface:
I had a major 'lack of motivation to do anything cos i cba' from the end of yr 10 till christmas n i wish tht i had started revision earlier :frown:

My points of advice arrrreeeeee: *clears throat*

1). Start early (but not intense revision...more just going over things regularly so they'r fresh in your mind.

2). decide what kind of learner u are...are you visual, auditory etc. ?
If you remember things from looking at them then posters are a good idea.
I asked for a dictaphone as a birthday present (thing u record urself with n then playback). u can get them relatively cheaply. I made up silly songs which was quite fun...n i still remember them now.

If you want I can send you the songs :p: !

3) On the night before the exam CRAAAAAAM....CRAM LIKE U'V NEVER CRAMMED BEFORE!!!!!!!! What i mean is...just read and re-read things...take notes or whatever you need to do to get every bit of information off that page and in your head.

4) revise haaaaard for your mocks (i made that mistake)...n now i got not thaaaaaaat good results for my mocks i dunno what i'm capable of when i DOO revise.

5) make a revision timetable...theres something about having it written down on paper that makes it much easier to get your head round revision...then its like a kind of routine u can get into.

6) AND most importantly of all remember that BREAKS are just as important...if not MORE important than the revision itself. I usually do revision in blocks of 30 to 40 minutes n then have a 15 minute break...n then even change subject. BUT...and its a big but...don't go out with your friends every night of the week n make excuses for yourself that u don't neeeeeed to revise cos its "a long time till exams yet" believe me its the fastest year of your life :p: !!

7) BE POSITIVE!!!!!! BE MOTIVATED!!!! THINK THAT THESE RESULTS ARE IMPORTANT AND WILL EFFECT THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

Good luck!!

Wish me luck too actually...RESULTS NEXT THURSDAY:s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :rolleyes: !

Lv K xxx
Reply 29
The main thing to do is relax, don't stress yourself out. That's probably the biggest mistake I made. I cried through most of my revision, because I started so late and ended up cramming. Then I thought about deadlines, "what if"s, consequences of doing badly, letting people down, not being able to finish before the next day etc etc. It ended up being one of the most stressful periods of my life.

Just relax. Make sure you're relaxed when you're revising. People say you should revise on a desk in "exam conditions" to help you remember stuff in the actual exam. I say stuff that. Revise out in the garden or something so you've got fresh air. Get someone to bring you cups of coffee/tea/hot chocolate every now and then. Whichever you prefer. Just relax.. I can't stress that enough.

Good luck :smile:
wow! all your replies are really good. im so glad i typed in GCSE message boards into google, and found all of you guys. and anyone who said about sending stuff (there's two people) please do send me them.:smile: it would be so useful.

thankssssssssssss so much. oh and goodluk for your gcse results. i bet you've all aced them anyways:wink:
oh and im searching for a dictaphone now, because i learn better by listening to it.:wink: cheers
Reply 32
Here are my tips that worked for me .
Everyones different, so you have to find what suits you best but what worked for me was :
not starting revision early at all starting quite close to the exams because then i am under pressure and i revise more efectively.
Use as many different methods of revision as possible.
I got index cards and wrote key points such as in History i wrote important dates. If your doing P.E and need to learn all the muscles and bones.. dont just write a list, actually grab a family member and physically label all of the muscles and bones on them, sticks far better in your head. Record yourself on your phone and stick it into itunes, important cycles or facts you find hard such as Eutrophication. Get sticky notes and write definitions or words you find hard to remember in places you see, such as around the computer, bedroom wall etc. Revision neednt be sitting down and writing and writing if thats what you find hard, small things like the above mentioned really do help.

Cannot believe i just wrote all of that. : /
Reply 33
what subjects do you take?, so i can find some good revision material:biggrin:
thanks, for the help fruitcakex.

mike, the subjects i take are:

double award science (i really want top grades in science)
maths (another top grade i really want)
geography
english
english lit/media
french
music
ICT
RE
Reply 35
what ones are u taking higher tier and foundation tier for
geography, music and english definately higher

not sure about the others yet
Hello. Hope u r well.

Well. U r only in yr 10 so i assume that u still havent finished ur courses. So, what i would suggest is to study & revise what u have so far. Learn the stuff that r still new to u (frm the topics that u have done) & revise what u find hard.

The main success to a revision which i think is to understand what u r learning & not blindly learning it just for the sake of it. U seem to be a sensible student as u r already worried abt ur GCSEs which is really good. its good to keep practising what u have done so far so that u dnt forget them while dealing with the rest of ur courses. The more earlier u start practising, the less load there will be before exam days.

I wouldnt discourage u frm revising but i wud advice u to revise in small bits & chunks rather than trying to learn a whole topic in 1 day. Always try to repeat after u have learnt something...if it turns out that u have forgotten then learn it again..then, if necessary repeat the process again.

Above all, dnt think gcses as a pressure. try enjoying it & take it as a task. Encourage urself for revision by taking it as a goal & also inform ur parents when u r satisfied with it !

I hope i have been of little help to u atleast ! :wink:
Aw thanks SilentGirl for taking your time and giving me advice.:biggrin:

this is to anyone:

im abit confused though, everyone is saying have a look at the specification and go by that, i looked at some but i don't know if that is what you people are talking about, because it says aload of jiberish

so could someone send me a link of a specification for any subject and any board.

u r a very lucky girl. u knw why? cos i just registered to student room to reply to ur thread.

anyways, i knw exactly how u feel. specifications..? well, im took a look at my science specification & there is a section called 'specification content'. there is lays out the things that u SHOULD know for each topic.

Latest