The Student Room Group

A level archaeology scrapped.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-37632700

Following on from the scrapping of art history, then they have decided to scrap A level archaeology as well. Only 400 students do it, but seems a shame that you cant get a taster for it doing A level.
the Govt don't dig this subject
10 years from now....

*the Prime Minister Diane Abbott has announced that English A level is to be abolished from 2027*
I'm still furious about the General Studies. Like are people not allowed to be good all-rounders anymore?

It's not as if General Studies is normally taken as part of the standard three subjects. It's just a fun extra.

I might be biased though. I did get an A* in it... :colondollar:
Original post by AnnieGakusei
I'm still furious about the General Studies. Like are people not allowed to be good all-rounders anymore?

It's not as if General Studies is normally taken as part of the standard three subjects. It's just a fun extra.

I might be biased though. I did get an A* in it... :colondollar:

AS general studies is a load of old arse tbf
Reply 5
Very disappointed about that, and about the decision to scrap A Level Classical Civilisation with it. Class Civ is the best way into a classics, classical civilisation, ancient history or theology degree, as well as being really useful for anybody doing history of art, philosophy, literature, creative writing, history, politics or archeology. But they scrapped it, because who needs a well rounded world view?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
AS general studies is a load of old arse tbf

Did you fail General Studies by any chance?
Reply 7
Original post by sek510i
Very disappointed about that, and about the decision to scrap A Level Classical Civilisation with it. Class Civ is the best way into a classics, classical civilisation, ancient history or theology degree, as well as being really useful for anybody doing history of art, philosophy, literature, creative writing, history, politics or archeology. But they scrapped it, because who needs a well rounded world view?

I don't agree. Latin is also a very good way to get into Classics and it's actually a very underrated subject. Class Civ often gets all the glory because it has got 'Classics' in the name but I feel learning the language of ancient Rome can give a greater insight into that world. Furthermore, Latin also helps with learning other modern European languages, including English.

I do agree that the A levels being mentioned shouldn't be scraped.
Reply 8
Original post by eu.ad
I don't agree. Latin is also a very good way to get into Classics and it's actually a very underrated subject. Class Civ often gets all the glory because it has got 'Classics' in the name but I feel learning the language of ancient Rome can give a greater insight into that world. Furthermore, Latin also helps with learning other modern European languages, including English.

I do agree that the A levels being mentioned shouldn't be scraped.

I agree that Latin is a good way into a Classics degree, and generally. The skills learnt in Latin are actually very useful for computing, as well as other languages (as you pointed out).

Having done both, though, I think that Classical Civilisation was probably more useful for university (only one of many Classics degrees' module choices can be Latin every year, and the A Level didn't prepare me as much for the rest of the course). I doubt either A Level has much life left in it though, unfortunately :frown:
Original post by AnnieGakusei
Did you fail General Studies by any chance?

No I got a B.

But I got a B even though in my essay question I wrote the words "If you have eyes you should be able to see... [thing]".
I think I can see where they are coming from on this, there are only so many A levels you can set, with any increase in focus/depth in a particular subject to be done in the main area:
Main/key subject> Sub-group/subject
History> History of Art
and/or
History> History of Science

Now what about Archaeology? Again, I can see where they are coming from:
Archaeology> Bio/chemical analytical techniques
and/or
Archaeology> Anthropology/human history

If you want to do archaeology at university, you'd may as well have a science subject, history, and some other subject. But to have archaeology as an individual A level I don't really think is helpful. You'll get far more people doing biochemistry as an undergraduate degree than doing an archaeology A level. Yet it still doesn't make sense to have A levels in biochemistry because biochemistry encompasses biology and chemistry. Archaeology encompasses history, science, etc., all of which are already available as individual subjects which many people choose already.

But go on, sell it to me!
Original post by Victoriaaaa

What I really don't get is how we're supposed to be encouraging students; according to my classciv teacher whose subject is ALSO being axed, school/college should be a place where they fuel your addiction for learning. But how can we do that when we're taking opportunities away? It's not only about how we are going to teach kids these wonderful and diverse subjects, but how we INSPIRE them.

I took archaeology on a whim, I thought that it might compliment my interest in classics, but you know what? It's conquered it. I've decided that I want to go into classical archaeology, but I'm afraid that if I had never seen "archaeology" at the top of the list of subjects, I would never have had that spark that made me think "this is me". We're taking opportunities away from students, and that will result in much less students searching for those opportunities when they're wondering what to do in their lives.

It just amazes me, when I applied I was actually considering taking Classical Civilisation, Archaelogy and History of Art. (I didn't choose history of art simply because I'm awful at practical art). We shouldn't be cancelling any subjects, these especially, we should be promoting them, inspiring students to do what is right for them, and not force them into a box that they don't want to be in. I sincerely hope that AQA will choose to continue with these subjects or anther board picks them up.

There is so much more I'd like to say and let the exam board hear, but I will leave it at this.

I hope it is okay for me to drop in my reply from the thread regarding the axing of history of art. I am still furious about this and I believe that archaeology is an incredibly important A level. I have seen so many students who have said that they "can't do science" or anything academic, but achaeology teaches maths and science, it teaches analytical skills and it teaches history. It has given me, as a classicist, an even deeper appreciation for th civilisations I love. Archeology is a gateway drug into all periods of history, sciences, and especially subjects like anthropology. Archaeology as a field is also important as ever, it's astounding just how much we don't know, but we'll never know if we can't inspire kids to go into it, even through just knowing the option is there.

It will be very sad if we have to lose such a valuabe subject.
Reply 12
I hope it is okay for me to drop in my reply from the thread regarding the axing of history of art. I am still furious about this and I believe that archaeology is an incredibly important A level. I have seen so many students who have said that they "can't do science" or anything academic, but achaeology teaches maths and science, it teaches analytical skills and it teaches history. It has given me, as a classicist, an even deeper appreciation for th civilisations I love. Archeology is a gateway drug into all periods of history, sciences, and especially subjects like anthropology. Archaeology as a field is also important as ever, it's astounding just how much we don't know, but we'll never know if we can't inspire kids to go into it, even through just knowing the option is there.

It will be very sad if we have to lose such a valuabe subject.

There was a thread about history of art. It was announced a few days before this. Both AQA.
Original post by 999tigger
There was a thread about history of art. It was announced a few days before this. Both AQA.

I'm aware; my argument applies to both subjects which are being axed, or rather all, applying this to class civ
Reply 14
I'm aware; my argument applies to both subjects which are being axed, or rather all, applying this to class civ

I was juts pointing it out fyi. Not arguing with you.

Its a shame they have both been axed, but if schools choose not to offer it or enough pupils dont take it then this is the predictable result.
Sad about axing of archaeology, I did the A-Level in like 2009 and it was easily my favourite :frown:
actually if you looked at the AQA exam board. they still hold these subjects.

Quick Reply