The Student Room Group

Funding for starting a new course

Hi,

I want to apply to start a new degree for 2017 entry however I have already been at university for 2.5 years.

I understand this will affect my funding for any new course I start but I believe I may have reason to receive extra funding due to my circumstances. The time I spent at university breaks down as follows:
2013/14 - Failed year due to suffering from depression
2014/15 - Retake of first year
2015/16 - Took an interruption of studies in March due to return of depression
I wish to start a new course as I believe returning to my current studies would greatly increase the chance of the depression recurring yet again and was a contributing factor in the first place.

Would I be able to reclaim these years of funding that I have effectively lost due to my ill mental health and how would I go about doing so? I sought a range of help during this time so would be able to provide evidence from my GP, university counsellors, personal tutor, senior tutor, therapist, etc....

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Beth
Hi there.

You can apply for 'Compelling Personal Reasons' which means we would exclude these years from the calculation we use when working out your remaining years of funding.

Evidence is normally a letter from the university or your GP clearly explaining your reasons for being unable to complete the course. One letter may be enough as long as it is detailed enough, or you can try sending in multiple letters from separate people to make your case stronger.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending