The Student Room Group

How to revise for maths

Basically , im top set maths and everyone in my class got very low grades with a few exceptions , basically most of them got less than 20 out of 80 and I only got 16 and my mom isnt very proud. How can I revise for maths lets say i am good at algebra but terrible at other aspects of maths such as histograms and probability especially angles and shapes. Where do I start, should I start revising on the hard stuff or start from the beginning like number and ratios since I am very bad at them and never got a chance to learn them properly,how many hours should I study for maths, any good books for gcse since I find textbooks easy to understand when it comes to maths. Lol I know lots of question but I love maths somehow and wanna do it in A level but im clueless
Reply 1
Original post by ShikaMekiFuka
Basically , im top set maths and everyone in my class got very low grades with a few exceptions , basically most of them got less than 20 out of 80 and I only got 16 and my mom isnt very proud. How can I revise for maths lets say i am good at algebra but terrible at other aspects of maths such as histograms and probability especially angles and shapes. Where do I start, should I start revising on the hard stuff or start from the beginning like number and ratios since I am very bad at them and never got a chance to learn them properly,how many hours should I study for maths, any good books for gcse since I find textbooks easy to understand when it comes to maths. Lol I know lots of question but I love maths somehow and wanna do it in A level but im clueless

The trick to doing well in maths is understanding the theory and then attempt a lot of questions.
Just practice. Set aside 45 minutes everyday to do questions from the text book and past papers. If you get questions wrong spend time understanding why and then do some more on the same topic. Its good that you seem interested in working on it as a lot of people cop out and use the, "I always sucked at maths" line.
Original post by mrsweg59
Just practice. Set aside 45 minutes everyday to do questions from the text book and past papers. If you get questions wrong spend time understanding why and then do some more on the same topic. Its good that you seem interested in working on it as a lot of people cop out and use the, "I always sucked at maths" line.

Yes , but where should I start from the beginning like learning how to do simple things or just start any topic I want
Reply 4
Yes , but where should I start from the beginning like learning how to do simple things or just start any topic I want

To be honest, it's up to you!

You could start from the very basics of topics and work your way up, since you have the whole year. Assuming you're in Year 11.

Or

You can look at some basic topics, attempt to solve some questions regarding these basic topics, if you get them right then cool move on. If not, learn the theory behind it.

Work on the bits you find hard. Howev if you struggle with the basics practise these too since these are the most important parts
Original post by Naruke
To be honest, it's up to you!

You could start from the very basics of topics and work your way up, since you have the whole year. Assuming you're in Year 11.

Or

You can look at some basic topics, attempt to solve some questions regarding these basic topics, if you get them right then cool move on. If not, learn the theory behind it.

Yeah you are right and yes im in year 11
Reply 7
Yeah you are right and yes im in year 11

Good site for worksheets is corbettmaths

Quick Reply

Latest