The Student Room Group

First induction ever! Also Christmas temps?

First off, I'm not from the UK.
My first induction day is next week sometime at build-a-bear.

The manager called me today after my two interviews to offer me a temp position for christmas due to her hiring other staff.
---(I applied for perm, so this is a let down in a way, but please, advice!)---

She said:
Bring Passport
Bank Details
Bring NI (national insurance)***
No fancy clothes, as it's not on work floor.

So my questions are:
--------------------------------------
1. What should I expect at a Build-a-bear induction if its not on the work floor? It will last for two hours, she said. (It's okay if you can't answer this question!)
2. My visa is a BRP, and I will get my NI number sometime in the coming weeks. My interview is in another city on the 24th, so I don't know if I will have it by the time I have the induction, I was told this is okay (on the gov website), but I'm nervous on how it'll affect my income.
3. Do you think I can work hard to become a permanant staff member? Or should I ignore this goal? I really wanted to work as a regular member as I love sewing and making bears and just everything about it, but do you think it's difficult to become permanant after being a christmas temp?

Just a few questions due to me being a newbie here.
Please and thanks!
Original post by Hattyxo
First off, I'm not from the UK.
My first induction day is next week sometime at build-a-bear.

The manager called me today after my two interviews to offer me a temp position for christmas due to her hiring other staff.
---(I applied for perm, so this is a let down in a way, but please, advice!)---

She said:
Bring Passport
Bank Details
Bring NI (national insurance)***
No fancy clothes, as it's not on work floor.

So my questions are:
--------------------------------------
1. What should I expect at a Build-a-bear induction if its not on the work floor? It will last for two hours, she said. (It's okay if you can't answer this question!)
2. My visa is a BRP, and I will get my NI number sometime in the coming weeks. My interview is in another city on the 24th, so I don't know if I will have it by the time I have the induction, I was told this is okay (on the gov website), but I'm nervous on how it'll affect my income.
3. Do you think I can work hard to become a permanant staff member? Or should I ignore this goal? I really wanted to work as a regular member as I love sewing and making bears and just everything about it, but do you think it's difficult to become permanant after being a christmas temp?

Just a few questions due to me being a newbie here.
Please and thanks!

Congrats! That sounds like a fun job!

1. I'm sorry, I can't answer the first question, although I imagine it'll be things like health and safety videos.
2. This should be fine. Make your employer aware of it and they'll be able to work around it.
3. It's possible, but depends on whether they can take on someone else at the time. They might not be able to afford it and might not keep any temps, or they may pick one or two to keep permanently. Work hard, because it does happen.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Congrats! That sounds like a fun job!

1. I'm sorry, I can't answer the first question, although I imagine it'll be things like health and safety videos.
2. This should be fine. Make your employer aware of it and they'll be able to work around it.
3. It's possible, but depends on whether they can take on someone else at the time. They might not be able to afford it and might not keep any temps, or they may pick one or two to keep permanently. Work hard, because it does happen.

Good luck!

I like your low poly icon, thats neat.
Also, I'm really curious as I've never been a temporary or a christmas temp before, they said if they need staff, they always go to temps first because they have training, so I'm really hoping. Is it super difficult? Do you have any advice for what I should try and do to be the best temp I can be lol?
Original post by Hattyxo
I like your low poly icon, thats neat.
Also, I'm really curious as I've never been a temporary or a christmas temp before, they said if they need staff, they always go to temps first because they have training, so I'm really hoping. Is it super difficult? Do you have any advice for what I should try and do to be the best temp I can be lol?

Thanks! I made it a couple months ago :h:

It's not too difficult. From my experience, managers and supervisors are understanding that you don't know everything, so they won't have you doing anything too difficult. They'll train you up and everything, and you'll have loads of support if you need it. being a temp can be really fun - especially at Christmas! My advice would be to get into the Christmas spirit, enjoy yourself, and don't be shy! It's really good if you talk to the other staff and get on well with them. This makes you more likely to be kept on :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Thanks! I made it a couple months ago :h:

It's not too difficult. From my experience, managers and supervisors are understanding that you don't know everything, so they won't have you doing anything too difficult. They'll train you up and everything, and you'll have loads of support if you need it. being a temp can be really fun - especially at Christmas! My advice would be to get into the Christmas spirit, enjoy yourself, and don't be shy! It's really good if you talk to the other staff and get on well with them. This makes you more likely to be kept on :smile:

:tongue: I was doing some low poly for fun this morning, so thats cool to see someone else having the interest around here!

Also, I want to do my best and just, get out there and do it. I bought some bright bows for my hair to show off a happy personality, and I want to be approchable for kids and adults alike, but I am TERRIFIED of coming off as just, like, 'try-hard' you know? Is that possible? :s-smilie: My personality can be so upbeat and possibly 'too friendly', I am terrified of tiring or weirding out my employer/co-workers as some of them seemed very down to earth, and I am kind of excitable.
Original post by Hattyxo
:tongue: I was doing some low poly for fun this morning, so thats cool to see someone else having the interest around here!

Also, I want to do my best and just, get out there and do it. I bought some bright bows for my hair to show off a happy personality, and I want to be approchable for kids and adults alike, but I am TERRIFIED of coming off as just, like, 'try-hard' you know? Is that possible? :s-smilie: My personality can be so upbeat and possibly 'too friendly', I am terrified of tiring or weirding out my employer/co-workers as some of them seemed very down to earth, and I am kind of excitable.

Nice! I do love low poly work :tongue:

I think it'll be fine. You sound like you'd be a hit with the kids and great to be around, and that's exactly the kind of thing they'd want

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending