The Student Room Group

Want to quit

Hey!

So I've been playing tennis for almost 8 years now and have spent so much time and money into the sport. I just don't seem to enjoy the sport anymore( have been feeling this for almost a year now- just didn't want to go for coaching sessions, etc). I'm in year 11 now so it's hectic with my tennis and other extra curriculars going on. Should I quit the sport? How do I tell my parents that I want to quit the sport?

Reply 1
"Mum, Dad, I am quitting tennis."

If further explanation is required, you could say something like "I've been playing for almost 8 years now and have spent so much time and money into the sport. I just don't seem to enjoy the sport anymore( have been feeling this for almost a year now- just didn't want to go for coaching sessions, etc). I'm in year 11 now so it's hectic with my tennis and other extra curriculars going on".
I was in a similar position to you but with badminton instead of tennis. Although I began to hate it, I carried it out until the end of year 11. Towards the end it became a real drag, but I had been playing for 9 years and I was in the local team and things. I felt this obligation to carry on, but I knew it wasn't making me happy. So in the end I quit. I told my mum "I've lost my passion and I don't feel it is for me anymore". To my relief she was happy with the decision and said I should focus on my studies and move on. 10 months down the line and I don't regret regret the decision at all, I have so much more free time now. I even have time to meet up with my friends (something I never used to do much of).

If you don't enjoy tennis then give it up is my best advise!
No need to please others their joy...
Reply 4
Original post by db10
"Mum, Dad, I am quitting tennis."

If further explanation is required, you could say something like "I've been playing for almost 8 years now and have spent so much time and money into the sport. I just don't seem to enjoy the sport anymore( have been feeling this for almost a year now- just didn't want to go for coaching sessions, etc). I'm in year 11 now so it's hectic with my tennis and other extra curriculars going on".
Exactly. It's not like you're telling them you want to marry a ****ing pony.
Reply 5
Original post by Tootles
Exactly. It's not like you're telling them you want to marry a ****ing pony.

Quite! :eyebrow::eyebrow:
Reply 6
You never quit Things you love! Enjoy it. You don't become Athlete anymore, but enjoy ya life!
Reply 7
"Hey, I want to quit tennis because I don't really enjoy it anymore and its taking up too much of my time."
Reply 8
It's totally depends on you what you'll do or not? If you don't like to want to take rest no problem. All the best!

Quick Reply

Latest