Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Migrant Worker Rules

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter


    If there is anyone able to elaborate on this it would be highly appreciated as I have tried everything I could and there is no clear answer.

    Just like in previous years, I took 6 weeks (from last week of May to the first week of July) off from work (unpaid leave) so I could concentrate on my exams. This was never a problem for student finance, however, this year I was asked for payslips proving my continuous employment throughout the year rather than just 3 months before the start of the academic year, which was the usual procedure back then. When SFE realised this, official letters from my employer were requested regarding the reason why I did not work, which culminated in funding being removed for that period, to which I had to abide since there isn't really anything else you can do, even though I argued that I could have worked if I knew I would have such issues and that my employment was not terminated.

    So the following reasoning becomes relevant now:

    According to the advisers, one must prove continuous employment and be self-sufficient regardless of the SFE loan. That being said, what is the minimum amount I have to work (and/or earn) to be eligible? In addition, what is the periodicity required for work to be done? This means, if I am paid monthly, is a payslip with a total income of £1 or even £100 enough? What if I am paid weekly, can't I even skip one week off from work without having an investigation carried out, followed by a review of my funding?

    I thought the purpose of having a loan was to be able to work less, right?

    Many thanks

Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
What do wear to bed?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.