The Student Room Group

Aab prediction, i don't know what to study

Hi guys, I was intending to apply to medicine. I got my UKCAT score and carried out my work experience only to find out that I was given AAB as my predicted grades. I was disheartened for a while but not anymore. I wanted to find a course similar to medicine but not biomedical sciences and I can't find many. I found Applied Medical Sciences at UCL which has really interested me but I can't really find any other courses similar to it. I would appreciate it loads if anyone could give me some guidance. Thank you XXXX
Original post by angellll
Hi guys, I was intending to apply to medicine. I got my UKCAT score and carried out my work experience only to find out that I was given AAB as my predicted grades. I was disheartened for a while but not anymore. I wanted to find a course similar to medicine but not biomedical sciences and I can't find many. I found Applied Medical Sciences at UCL which has really interested me but I can't really find any other courses similar to it. I would appreciate it loads if anyone could give me some guidance. Thank you XXXX

A prediction is only an estimate, its not your final result. Why not work on getting AAA and apply next year.
Reply 2
Original post by ForestCat
A prediction is only an estimate, its not your final result. Why not work on getting AAA and apply next year.

I'm aiming to get AAA but I'd still like to apply this year just incase I do get AAB for A2.
Reply 3
Hello, I have applied for AMS at UCL. It certainly is one of a kind, the syllabus looks very similar to the pre-clinical years in most Medicine degrees I think. I have applied for it as my non-Medicine choice on a Medicine application. If I don't get into undergraduate this year (second try), I'm going to go the graduate route.

If you're not fully committed to Medicine yet - which is ok, I assume you are only young - I'm 24 - maybe you could arrange some shadowing at your local hospital to see what hospital Biomedical Scientists do? Haematology departments are often quite generous with their time for students in the lab.

Be aware though that most BMS end up in Industry/Pharma not directly healthcare.

Are you more interested in working with people's health, or with science for health?

If it's the former, check out this website:
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk

See if there are any alternative careers that interest you.

And for the latter, roles such as an ATP?

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/AnatomicalPathologyTechnician.aspx

Hope this helps

Drop me a msg if you want to talk any more, I've had many years to go around and around this system lol

Quick Reply