Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moving out for university

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter


    I'm 17 (just) and in my second year at college. I take history, geography and politics and I want to study history at university.

    A part of me wants to move out when I go to uni (and 4/5 choices are two hours away from home) but I don't know if this is wise. I have some mental health problems which I can just manage at home, but sometimes it gets too much. I'm just coping.

    I'm worried that I'm not going to be recovered enough by 2017 to move out. And if I do, I'm scared I'll get worse away from home.

    What do I do? I don't want to defer a year. so do I just accept that I'm not ready and move out when the second year begins?

    I can see why this would be a difficult decision. For me, I only developed MH problems after going to uni and then being unable to cope, but you're right, it's a very stressful environment and can very easily get the better of people. Even people without ongoing mental health issues can unravel with the stress of uni.

    I don't know (obviously) how you'd cope but is there any way you could test it out? For instance could you try going to a summer school where you'd be in a similar environment to university?
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.