The Student Room Group

Help Finding Arts and Science Courses (Study Physics+ Design)

Hi there!

I'll be applying for uni soon and I want to study a liberal arts and sciences or combined course where I can combine study of mainly physics and Art/design. I also have interest in math, engineering and psychology.

I am currently doing a Foundation art course in London at Camberwell, with a focus on design for theatre and screen and I hope to get AAB in my A-levels after retake this year. (Math, physics, art.) I also have a 'D' in AS chemistry.

I have looked at UCL Arts and Sciences and it looks like the perfect course - only my grades are too low. I will still apply anyway just in case. I've also looked at Birmingham and Surrey online - but the course descriptions are too vague and I'm not sure if the quality. Does anyone have more info on them?

Overseas, I can't pay for any tuition, so the US are out (unless someone can recommend a scholarship?) and I've found a few courses in the Netherlands - Amsterdam, Maastricht and maybe Utrecht (physics and liberal arts?) which seem good.

I've also looked at Groningen and Twente and a few others which I've ruled out as the course doesn't have art practice in it.

Could anyone give me more info on courses that might be good both here and overseas and how they might be seen by future employers?

Thank you!
Original post by Azakial
Hi there!

I'll be applying for uni soon and I want to study a liberal arts and sciences or combined course where I can combine study of mainly physics and Art/design. I also have interest in math, engineering and psychology.

I am currently doing a Foundation art course in London at Camberwell, with a focus on design for theatre and screen and I hope to get AAB in my A-levels after retake this year. (Math, physics, art.) I also have a 'D' in AS chemistry.

I have looked at UCL Arts and Sciences and it looks like the perfect course - only my grades are too low. I will still apply anyway just in case. I've also looked at Birmingham and Surrey online - but the course descriptions are too vague and I'm not sure if the quality. Does anyone have more info on them?

Overseas, I can't pay for any tuition, so the US are out (unless someone can recommend a scholarship?) and I've found a few courses in the Netherlands - Amsterdam, Maastricht and maybe Utrecht (physics and liberal arts?) which seem good.

I've also looked at Groningen and Twente and a few others which I've ruled out as the course doesn't have art practice in it.

Could anyone give me more info on courses that might be good both here and overseas and how they might be seen by future employers?

Thank you!

Both Birmingham and Surrey are good universities though the websites don't give enough detail about the modules studied for this course. I suggest emailing and asking for more information.

You will struggle to combine physics with art or design. Have you considered product design or industrial design?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
As per ageshallnot, but also adding Architecture into the mix.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Both Birmingham and Surrey are good universities though the websites don't give enough detail about the modules studied for this course. I suggest emailing and asking for more information.

You will struggle to combine physics with art or design. Have you considered product design or industrial design?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Thats a good suggestion - I'll email them and see what they say.

I'be not considered product design properly - If I were to carry on with a straight art subject I would do Costume Construction.
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
As per ageshallnot, but also adding Architecture into the mix.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of people have suggested Architecture to me - but I don't find it that appealing - thanks for the thought though 😊
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Azakial
A lot of people have suggested Archetecture to me - but I don't find it that appealing - thanks for the thought though 😊

No problem.

Also, Birmingham and Surrey are good universities. I suggest you contact them with your questions about their courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending