The Student Room Group

Find out how exam reform affects you

GCSE and A-level exams are changing but how much do you know about how these changes will affect you?

The TSR community team is working directly with the main exam boards to explain everything that’s going to happen over the next couple of years.

We’re going to publish the results on TSR, but first we need to know your questions. What matters most to you about the reforms? Which changes are most confusing and unclear?

Post your questions below and we’ll get the answers for you.

Some of the reforms:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Learn Ranger
GCSE and A-level exams are changing but how much do you know about how these changes will affect you?

The TSR community team is working directly with the main exam boards to explain everything that’s going to happen over the next couple of years.

We’re going to publish the results on TSR, but first we need to know your questions. What matters most to you about the reforms? Which changes are most confusing and unclear?

Some of the reforms:

Spoiler

The most frequently asked questions I see are:

What can I use for exam practice when there are no past papers and the examiners have not produced any/many practice papers?

Now that ums is no longer used, How are grades worked out for the new Linear A levels?

How do I get a grade 9 in the new GCSE? How high a mark will I need?

Can I resit units from the old A levels ? How?

I'm self studying, For science A levels do I have to do the endorsement of practical skills? How?

I'm a private candidate, for those GCSE or A level qualifications that still have coursework or practical/controlled assessments, how can I do them?

I'm filling in my UCAS application, do I have to include results for my AS exams if I'm doing the new Linear A levels? What happens if I don't?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tantalised
Answer this question please :-)

I don't want to derail the thread so see private message

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
GCSE and A-level exams are changing

How long will resits be available for exam entry June 2017 (Maths)?

Are grade boundaries still determined by cohort (i.e as they have been up until now) ?
what subjects will still have coursework (A level)?
When applying to university do you enter your grade as the normal advanced subsidiary. Because I've heared you are not supposed to enter you grades except for the one you dropped (if any).
Original post by Questioness
When applying to university do you enter your grade as the normal advanced subsidiary. Because I've heared you are not supposed to enter you grades except for the one you dropped (if any).

This contradicts what UCAS say on the web site. The new AS is a qualification and you are required to enter all secondary qualifications. The internet seems to be making this new "don't enter linear AS result' rule up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Some of the reforms:

Spoiler

The changes are total bullpoop . In my economics a level . We dont have any past papers to revise from. The textbooks are rushed with many mistakes.There is no teaching material. This is total crap putting our grades down because the people who write this dont care.
how will A*'s be calculated for the new linear science A2 levels?
Reply 9
Original post by CutieTootsie
how will A*'s be calculated for the new linear science A2 levels?

The people who do best in the A level exams will get them. The mark you need will vary every year (as it did before with raw marks though this was masked by it always being the same UMS) .
Reply 10
Original post by gdunne42

I'm self studying, For science A levels do I have to do the endorsement of practical skills? How?

I'm a private candidate, for those GCSE or A level qualifications that still have coursework or practical/controlled assessments, how can I do them?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe I can answer to that question but bear in mind that this is for AQA only.

As a Private Candidate, it is up to you to find a centre that will allow you to sit the examinations with them. You will arrange payment between yourselves, but be aware that the school/college will most likely charge more than our standard entry fee (details of which can be found on the AQA website).

If you need any general information for Private Candidates you can find it here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-support/private-candidates

Also, you should be aware of the practical requirements for the A-level Science specifications. The practical's are something that should be completed, but if you are a private candidate and are unable to do so then these are the three things to bear in mind:

1 - The practical's don't carry any marks, so there will be no effect in terms of your A-level grade by not completing them.

2 - The skills and competencies you pick up when doing the practical's will represent 15% of the marks to be assessed in the question papers. This means you should at least be familiar with the practical's and the techniques involved, please lookat the Practical Handbook on the AQA site for more information regarding this: http://www.aqa.org.uk/resources/science/as-and-a-level/teach/practicals

3 - You won’t gain the Practical Skills Endorsement on your final certificate. This is a 'pass/ not classified' statement that can only be obtained if the teacher deems the candidate able to show the relevant skills and competencies allocated to the practical's - and this can only be done if the candidate has physically completed them.

I hope this helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
The A-Level reforms are unfortunate as naturally, our year are the guinea pigs and will perform worse than subsequent years who will have at least 1 years practice of real papers. This is because teachers are unsure on the type of questions we can get - specimen papers aren't always representative of the real ones (especially for science - way harder!).

Also, it's frustrating that we have double the stress of not only learning and studying A2 content but having to go over AS content too. It's unfortunate especially for people applying to competitive courses where their grades may be affected.
Also, I have noted because a lot of schools aren't entering students for AS exams, a lot of students may not try as hard as "this year doesn't count, we don't have any exams" and so will subsequently cram in year 13. Of course, that is their fault, but naturally, as AS exams don't count we won't revise as hard for mocks, etc.
A-Level students are already placed under so much pressure, especially compared to our US counterparts, and this has made it even harder in particular for students who suffer from mental health issues.
It is frustrating, but there's nothing we can really do apart from deal with it and accept that we're the guinea pigs.
Original post by salllllllly
The A-Level reforms are unfortunate as naturally, our year are the guinea pigs and will perform worse than subsequent years who will have at least 1 years practice of real papers. This is because teachers are unsure on the type of questions we can get - specimen papers aren't always representative of the real ones (especially for science - way harder!).

Also, it's frustrating that we have double the stress of not only learning and studying A2 content but having to go over AS content too. It's unfortunate especially for people applying to competitive courses where their grades may be affected.
Also, I have noted because a lot of schools aren't entering students for AS exams, a lot of students may not try as hard as "this year doesn't count, we don't have any exams" and so will subsequently cram in year 13. Of course, that is their fault, but naturally, as AS exams don't count we won't revise as hard for mocks, etc.
A-Level students are already placed under so much pressure, especially compared to our US counterparts, and this has made it even harder in particular for students who suffer from mental health issues.
It is frustrating, but there's nothing we can really do apart from deal with it and accept that we're the guinea pigs.

Although I agree with you, I see why the Government have introduced such changes. I am in Year 13 now and Business, along with sciences, English, History, Psychology and lot of other subjects changed in September 2015. I do Business and it is bloody hard learning all of my new content as well as continuing to study my Year 12 stuff. A levels always used to be this way though. It was only in the early 2000s that they reformed them splitting them into 2 parts. When our parents and grandparents were able to do their A levels, it would have been this way of doing everything at the end of the 2 years. It's nothing new and I don't think previous generations would have complained because they knew no different.
Original post by GeorgeB16
Although I agree with you, I see why the Government have introduced such changes. I am in Year 13 now and Business, along with sciences, English, History, Psychology and lot of other subjects changed in September 2015. I do Business and it is bloody hard learning all of my new content as well as continuing to study my Year 12 stuff. A levels always used to be this way though. It was only in the early 2000s that they reformed them splitting them into 2 parts. When our parents and grandparents were able to do their A levels, it would have been this way of doing everything at the end of the 2 years. It's nothing new and I don't think previous generations would have complained because they knew no different.

I agree with what you're saying - it's just unfair on us as the past sort of 10 years older than us, have had it the easy way. I just think the education system in general is flawed - all teachers try to do is teach us HOW to pass exams, we're not actually proper learning content, it's all exam technique, making the examiner's lives easier etc. It should definitely not be a memory test of 2 years worth of information in about 5-6 hours of exams. It's ridiculous.
So, coursework is being ruled out of both GCSEs and A-Levels? So, it's all 100% exams? I start Year 12 in September 2017
Original post by ShiawaseNekox3
So, coursework is being ruled out of both GCSEs and A-Levels? So, it's all 100% exams? I start Year 12 in September 2017

It still exists but there is far less of it- - for instance, there used to be 2 coursework units and 2 exams for A level English, now there are 2 exams and one lot of coursework (and none for the AS).
Why is all this happening I thought adults always go on about how they want the best for us but it seems like they don't lol
Original post by Compost
It still exists but there is far less of it- - for instance, there used to be 2 coursework units and 2 exams for A level English, now there are 2 exams and one lot of coursework (and none for the AS).

Do you know anything for Physics, Chemistry, Maths & Further Maths?

For Physics and Chemistry there is no coursework that affects your final grade but there are 14 compulsory assessed practicals that come with a separate overall Pass/Fail endorsement.

I'd be very surprised if there was any for Maths and Further maths - for most options there isn't any now.

You will be the first to sit the reformed AS and A level Maths and Further Maths since teaching for that starts in September 2017. You'll be the third batch to sit the new reformed A levels in science.

This means practicals do not go towards your final A level grade but a separate endorsement. All of the A level is done with exams at the end of year 13 as AS and A levels have split.

Hope I have helped. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest