The Student Room Group

Question about cancellation of insurance

Hi there,

I currently find myself in nothing short of a pickle. I'll try and give as much information as I can, and any help or advice is extremely appreciated.

I now have just over 2 weeks until my insurance policy ends. This is on the 6/11/2016. I have already paid for new insurance to commence of the 5/11/2016.

The problem that I have is my old policy is a black box policy. I had been caught speeding at a shopping center (dual carriageway that takes you to the otherside of the shopping centre - it's soul purpose is to get around the other side, it leads no where else). I didn't realise it's a 30, as every other car went past at around 60 and seeing as it's a dual carriageway I did about 45. They sent me an excessive speed notice saying I did 47 (Which I accept), and it was outlined if I get caught one more time then I face unconditional cancellation.

I believe I may have accidentally done it again on a 20 road doing 30mph (50% over limit is excessive).

I emailed them back in Febuary asking about how excessive speed works so I have an understanding of it. In this email, they strictly outlined that I need 3 detections for an unconditional cancellation. This will only put me in the second. From what I can read from their Wording Policy, it states "on more than one occasion".

I am extremely worried now. If it gets cancelled, I lose my entire years no claims and have to declare a cancellation - my policy for next year would go from £1400 to around £5000. It's worrying me because my policy literally ends in 2 weeks time.

Should I be worried? Will they cancel this close to the end? I've emailed them but they are yet to reply. Does the email they sent me stating "3" give me any legal documentation against them in the case that they cancel and refuse an appeal?

I can't afford to lose 1 years worth of no claims 50 weeks into the policy, let alone declaring a cancellation.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. I am not a wreckless or careless driver, and have not had any claims or any accidents - both speeding offences have been an honest mistake.

It is entirely possible that the 30mph wasn't registered, as soon as I saw the 20mph sign I slowed down and kept to the speed limit the entire way home.

If I receive the next letter, it will be 2 weeks from when the offence occurred, which would be the 26/10/2016. 7 days cancellation notice takes me to the 2nd. A mere 4 days from the end of the policy!!!

Would they be understanding in this case? They would not get any benefit of cancelling my insurance as all payments have already been made...

Thank you in advance TSR!!
Original post by SouRz
I am not a wreckless or careless driver,

'wreckless' driver is unintentionally funny, in a slightly sick way.

I'd see if you can get some quotes for next year, pronto. You can be quoted on car insurance if you've only got 2 weeks left until renewal so I'd get cracking with it. You sound terribly panicked about something which no-one can answer - only the insurance company has the answer to this, unfortunately.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
'wreckless' driver is unintentionally funny, in a slightly sick way.

I'd see if you can get some quotes for next year, pronto. You can be quoted on car insurance if you've only got 2 weeks left until renewal so I'd get cracking with it. You sound terribly panicked about something which no-one can answer - only the insurance company has the answer to this, unfortunately.

For what reason? :tongue:

I already have a new insurance sorted - as long as this one doesn't get cancelled, all will be fine!

I just wondered if anyone could shed some advice or if someone has been in a similar situation.

Thanks for your reply.

Quick Reply

Latest