The Student Room Group

Article: Why excellent GCSE grades could get you an unconditional offer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GradeA*UnderA
People with "excellent" GCSE grades wouldn't care about universities like Birmingham or Liverpool(excluding medicine).

Tell me about it. For medicine anywhere is good
I got an unconditional offer for Law from Birmingham. I submitted by UCAS on the 14th so they obviously know I'm applying for Oxbridge - and the terms of the unconditional offer is that I must make it my first choice - otherwise its not unconditional.
It's a marketing ploy because they want capable students that would otherwise go to 'stronger' universities, and this is one way to pull them in. By the way, I don't agree that Birmingham is a 'weak' uni, forgive me if I'm wrong but it's usually in the top 15 for British universities.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by ninapudding
I got an unconditional offer for Law from Oxford. I submitted by UCAS on the 14th so they obviously know I'm applying for Oxbridge - and the terms of the unconditional offer is that I must make it my first choice - otherwise its not unconditional.
It's a marketing ploy because they want capable students that would otherwise go to 'stronger' universities, and this is one way to pull them in. By the way, I don't agree that Birmingham is a 'weak' uni, forgive me if I'm wrong but it's usually in the top 15 for British universities.

Are you sure you mean Oxford in the first sentence?
Original post by JSG29

Oops, thanks for pointing out. Haha, I wish! :biggrin: No, I meant Birmingham. I guess I just had Oxford on my mind.
Is it likely that I get unconditional offers for medicine at places such as HYMS or KCL for medicine considering that i got 8A* at IGCSEs and full UMS in IAS maths and IAS chemistry and 292 UMS in IAS biology and expected 3A* at A2?
Original post by Ahmad Osama
Is it likely that I get unconditional offers for medicine at places such as HYMS or KCL for medicine considering that i got 8A* at IGCSEs and full UMS in IAS maths and IAS chemistry and 292 UMS in IAS biology and expected 3A* at A2?

no
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
no

Why not?
Original post by Ahmad Osama
Why not?

From what I understand, due to the extremely competitive nature of Medicine, it is highly unlikely for anyone who has not yet obtained their results to receive an unconditional offer.
Original post by JSG29

Do they mean Oxford Brookes? Don't remember Oxbridge handing out unconditionals
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BigMan Ting
Do they mean Oxford Brookes? Don't remember Oxbridge handing out unconditionals

How to get at unconditional for Lancaster???

Would 4 a*s 3as 5bs at GCSE be considered for an unconditional?
Where is the Merit and Achievements Scholarships link? It's not working :eek:
People with "excellent" GCSE grades wouldn't care about universities like Birmingham or Liverpool(excluding medicine). They'd be eyeing up Oxbridge and the London universities, not Sussex. It seems like a paradoxical benefit; on one hand you get an unconditional due to excellent GCSEs, but on the other, you could get into a much better uni (for which, unconditional offers aren't given).

Not necessarily, I got 10A*s and an A* distinction (in further maths, the top grade) in my GCSEs, despite going to a poorly performing school in special measures, and I'm currently studying 5 A levels (Spanish, Italian, Maths, Further Maths and Geography). The universities I would most like to go to (due to the course and the quality of life) are:

1) Southampton
2) Warwick
3) Birmingham
4) Exeter

This is because as I want to study languages, many of the 'top' universities (i.e. Oxford and Cambridge) only offer 2 language degree courses, and I want a 3 language degree course. I would really like an unconditional offer!
Original post by Nooglepop
Not necessarily, I got 10A*s and an A* distinction (in further maths, the top grade) in my GCSEs, despite going to a poorly performing school in special measures, and I'm currently studying 5 A levels (Spanish, Italian, Maths, Further Maths and Geography). The universities I would most like to go to (due to the course and the quality of life) are:

1) Southampton
2) Warwick
3) Birmingham
4) Exeter

This is because as I want to study languages, many of the 'top' universities (i.e. Oxford and Cambridge) only offer 2 language degree courses, and I want a 3 language degree course. I would really like an unconditional offer!

You're a 1 in a 1000, my initial point stands.
Original post by Babyoleg
How to get at unconditional for Lancaster???

Would 4 a*s 3as 5bs at GCSE be considered for an unconditional?

GCSEs are a seriously crude indicator for uni's to hand out unconditional offers. That's why they only ask for C's in Maths and English and that's it for GCSE's

As long as you have a superb personal statement, references are flawless and predicted to achieve decent grades then you'll most likely be given an unconditional (as long as the course isn't medicine/vet med/dentistry).
You're a 1 in a 1000, my initial point stands.

Loool, not everyone who aces GCSEs wants to go to be Oxbridge. Your point is bs, plenty of people with high GCSEs are applying to the likes of birmingham. Birmingham is a good uni
Loool, not everyone who aces GCSEs wants to go to be Oxbridge. Your point is bs, plenty of people with high GCSEs are applying to the likes of birmingham. Birmingham is a good uni

Call my point bs, yet fail to give evidence?

Seems legit.

Seems legit.

Lol I agree with you, obv having really good GCSE's means that Oxbridge isn't off the options. Doesn't make any sense why someone wouldn't want to try apply there

Seems legit.

You don't have any evidence yourself... smh

High GCSEs != High As grades or predicted grades, if Oxbridge isn't realistic option they probs won't apply. It's logic.
Reply 38
I think back in the day Oxbridge used to give essentially unconditional offers if you aced their application process - something like EEE.
You don't have any evidence yourself... smh

High GCSEs != High As grades or predicted grades, if Oxbridge isn't realistic option they probs won't apply. It's logic.

My evidence is the Oxford applicants thread compared to the Birmingham one, see the gulf in grades? I'm still waiting for yours.

Also, AS grades aren't considered by Oxford (except those that still contribute to the A2, which, only about a 1/4 do).

You've also changed your point. You said that people with high GCSEs won't always go for Oxford, now you've changed it to if their grades aren't good enough, they won't apply. That's a completely irrelevant point.

If someone has excellent GCSE grades, they will be aiming for Oxbridge, not Birmingham. If they don't like Oxbridge, there's about 15 universities that are better for them to consider.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending