The Student Room Group

Job offers: rules of thumb

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jelly1000
I didn't know anyone on the inside where I work now- I was hired because they liked my covering letter, which conveyed my passion for the area of work and the experience I did have and (unpaid, some of it relevant to the role but some not) how this met their job criteria and they felt I performed well at interview- again I got accross my passion for the area of work and show that I had gained transferable skills from my work, again I gave examples from experience that wasn't directly relevant to what I do now.

Nice, I didn't know motivational letters worked. Well done...
Reply 21
Original post by Boreism
At last someone who doesn't want to argue with me about not wanting to gain experience!

Employers in retail will think you won't commit long term.

It is understandable why they do this though because as a company you would want someone who wants to commit longer than 6 months so that you don't have to waste your time recruiting for another member of staff.

That is correct. I don't want to work long term and I don't want to lie about it either. I would definitely leave after a few months. You see, I'm near my mid 40's (yes, my life had a lot of f*ckups) and I just don't have time to stall my career right now.
It's just so annoying that apparently the job function 'temporary worker' doesn't seem to exist any longer.
Original post by 571122
That is correct. I don't want to work long term and I don't want to lie about it either. I would definitely leave after a few months. You see, I'm near my mid 40's (yes, my life had a lot of f*ckups) and I just don't have time to stall my career right now.
It's just so annoying that apparently the job function 'temporary worker' doesn't seem to exist any longer.

That is the attitude of most graduates nowadays.

There are quite a few temporary jobs but its mainly office and warehouse jobs.
I always get regular texts from agencies asking me to do warehouse jobs but luckily walked straight into an office job. This is another problem; as I said before graduates don't like office jobs too because again its tedious and boring because of the paperwork (and continuously staring at the computer).
Yet they want to own a business, but that even requires paperwork anyway (with 'no' thanks to HMRC)! To be honest, you can't really win with jobs like that.

Also I sometimes wonder how they're are 'living' life when they're barely making a living in the first place because of these (lack of) working attitudes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Boreism
That is the attitude of most graduates nowadays.

There are quite a few temporary jobs but its mainly office and warehouse jobs.
I always get regular texts from agencies asking me to do warehouse jobs but luckily walked straight into an office job. This is another problem; as I said before graduates don't like office jobs too because again its tedious and boring because of the paperwork (and continuously staring at the computer).
Yet they want to own a business, but that even requires paperwork anyway (with 'no' thanks to HMRC)! To be honest, you can't really win with jobs like that.

Also I sometimes wonder how they're are 'living' life when they're barely making a living in the first place because of these (lack of) working attitudes.

Well, any money would be good now because living life the broke way is really not the way to live.
Original post by 571122
Well, any money would be good now because living life the broke way is really not the way to live.

You try telling those types of graduates. They just think jobs can just fall from the sky!
Original post by Boreism
You try telling those types of graduates. They just think jobs can just fall from the sky!

I don't think anyone thinks that at this point.
Original post by SmashConcept
I don't think anyone thinks that at this point.

It seems like complaining and moaning just about solves everything for these graduates...

Its all about skills, experience and working attitude that helps solve it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Boreism
It seems like complaining and moaning just about solves everything for these graduates...

Its all about skills, experience and working attitude that helps solve it.

I don't know why you're acting like this is a generational thing when previous generations of graduates had it far easier.
Reply 28
Original post by Boreism

That should be the case, especially since the number of available jobs is around 300K..
Reply 29
I don't know why you're acting like this is a generational thing when previous generations of graduates had it far easier.

No they did not have it easier.. my aunt can vouch for that. She lived during the fascism times, when you could only get into uni if you had 100/100 magna *** laude on all of your high school results. Not only that, but you had to be the child of a very wealthy family or you had zero chance of getting in or even being considered. Those times were hell.

Look at the educational market nowadays: everyone has the right to an education, everyone gets to do it (provided they or their government can fund it), without background bias (at least, intially). It's a whole different world.

No, today's generation have it so easy to the extent that opportunities are pretty much handed to them on a plate.

You can easily get into university with below-par A-levels and have it all funded by the hard working taxpayer to boot. It's ridiculous when students try to say that they're hard done by, they're living the easy life as far as I'm concerned.
You guys are talking about how easy it is to get into Uni. This thread is about jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending