The Student Room Group

Child Migrants or are they?

I am well aware that the Government was planning on allowing around 300 child migrants into the UK- but are they actually children the pictures i have seen on the news they look over the age 18. The government aren't even going to challenge them in the way i think they should i think they should do every test on them going if it meant that we get a few less

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37706862

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Check out the Daily Mail coverage, it has more information and pictures.

I am shocked, it's pretty obvious that they are not children. It's really upsetting that there are genuine migrants who we can help and yet we are taking in people who have abandoned their wives, children and homeland and haven't remotely got legitimate reasons to come to the UK. I went to a school with loads of Afghan's and a lot of them admitted that they were much older which really makes me suspect these people.

Also I have seen that many consider screening these people as some forms of masked racism. Such nonsense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Better start donating to 'Shave the Children':biggrin:.

I mean some of the blokes (well they're all blokes, how strange?) are balding, come on people.
I mean, its 300 people, who cares.

Seriously, it's not like this in anyway going to even scratch the surface of starting to make any meaningful impact.
What idiot thinks some of them are teenagers? Some of them blatantly look like they're in their 20s. And where are all the girls? There are actual little kids who need a life more than some of those wimps lying about their age.

They should seriously check their teeth.
they should do dental checks
to those who say it's "unethical" - why? why is it unethical to check people's ages when they have no passport? even if we deny genuine children via the inaccuracies of that system, we will be denying far more illegitimate individuals than legitimate ones. some accuracy is better than none at all, right? surely the most inaccurate measurement of a person's age is a potential lie?!
it makes me sick that even post-brexit we still have a government that is bending over backwards to pump in more immigrants - I mean, how much is enough exactly? jesus. if these immigrants posing as refugees wanted safety, they'd have surely stayed in turkey?!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
they should do dental checks
to those who say it's "unethical" - why? why is it unethical to check people's ages when they have no passport? even if we deny genuine children via the inaccuracies of that system, we will be denying far more illegitimate individuals than legitimate ones.
it makes me sick that even post-brexit we still have a government that is bending over backwards to pump in more immigrants - I mean, how much is enough exactly? jesus. if these immigrants posing as refugees wanted safety, they'd have surely stayed in turkey?!

Or in France.

I remember reading when Norway started doing dental checks they found a huge number of migrants lying about their age. Surprise surprise!
Does the dental test work?
Mr Davies, MP for Monmouth, has said a dental test could be one way of making sure anyone looking to come to the UK as a child refugee has a more accurate age estimation.

But dental evidence is said not to be totally reliable, with experts pointing out it is possible to wrongly estimate someone's age by up to three years when making an estimate based on such criteria.

Professor of medical statistics at the Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health, Tim Cole, said these tests were "very inaccurate."He said: "If you test children around the age of 18, or three years either side, in this way, the results get one third of the ages wrong.""When people are much older, say 30 or 40, it can be a lot more accurate. But if you think of puberty and what different rates children develop at, you can see how wrong the tests can be.

"The Royal College of Paediatricians said the margin of error can sometimes be as much as five years either side with medical tests.
(edited 7 years ago)
The Home Office said the migrants would face different checks once in the UK.
"We do not use dental X-rays to confirm the ages of those seeking asylum in the UK. The British Dental Association has described them as inaccurate, inappropriate and unethical," the Home Office said.
It is understood that further checks to be carried out will include interviews with relatives in the UK and fingerprinting to cross-check with other records which may contain age details.

So they'll still have their age verified, just not by checking their teeth. What's all the outrage about?

You guys try so hard to get angry all the time, it's kinda sad :lol:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Or in France.

I remember reading when Norway started doing dental checks they found a huge number of migrants lying about their age. Surprise surprise!

well, you know what it's like in the UK political system:
Original post by Lord Samosa
"We do not use dental X-rays to confirm the ages of those seeking asylum in the UK. The British Dental Association has described them as inaccurate, inappropriate and unethical," the Home Office said.
It is understood that further checks to be carried out will include interviews with relatives in the UK and fingerprinting to cross-check with other records which may contain age details.

So they'll still have their age verified, just not by checking their teeth. What's all the outrage about?

I think what's more annoying is that some men look blatantly older than they are. I saw a picture of one and he looked like a 30 year old.
What idiot thinks some of them are teenagers? Some of them blatantly look like they're in their 20s. And where are all the girls? There are actual little kids who need a life more than some of those wimps lying about their age.

They should seriously check their teeth.

Seriously?
I think what's more annoying is that some men look blatantly older than they are. I saw a picture of one and he looked like a 30 year old.

So help children and women but not adults?
Original post by TheBigMan2
I am well aware that the Government was planning on allowing around 300 child migrants into the UK- but are they actually children the pictures i have seen on the news they look over the age 18. The government aren't even going to challenge them in the way i think they should i think they should do every test on them going if it meant that we get a few less

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37706862

Even the guards are laughing.
Original post by KINGYusuf
So help children and women but not adults? I beg you just talk **** to people in real life, tired of your stupid ass talking tough behind a computer screen.

Are you capable of debating without being immature? Since you seem slow this evening, I'll straighten it out for you.

300 children were meant to come to England to be put into the social system. However, some of these "children" are men who are trying to come off as children when they're not. End result is actual children in Calais end up losing out.

And honey if you really don't like my posts, don't reply to them. Is it really that hard?
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Seriously?

What I said above ^^
Original post by Lord Samosa

Oh yes, because those 'relatives' of theirs are really going to call them out as an adult, aren't they? And fingerprinting? How on earth can this be used to determine age? If they have legitimate family members here then they should apply via the proper, legal process , rather than trying to jump onto lorries. If they are telling the truth, then they won't have a problem with getting in. And if they don't get in, then oh well they get to stay in that dangerous and war-torn country named France. Other than family, which I am highly sceptical that many even have, there is literally no reason for them to be coming here rather than staying safely in France except for financial reasons. Checking teeth is not unethical if they are informed why this is being done in the first place. If they're prepared to leap onto moving lorries then I'm sure they won't be too intimidated by one x-ray. And if they are, then France is fine for them.
(edited 7 years ago)
They should all be kept out, regardless of how old they are.
This is a mental illness and delusion. We have to help child refugees even if they aren't children.

This is proof that people campaigning about this don't care about refugees, they just want to be seen as being righteous and holy.

This is not about refugees, it's about boosting your own ego.
Reply 19
Original post by Therec00
This is a mental illness and delusion. We have to help child refugees even if they aren't children.

This is proof that people campaigning about this don't care about refugees, they just want to be seen as being righteous and holy.

This is not about refugees, it's about boosting your own ego.

There is no delusion only deception, Its obvious some of them are not being truthful about there age- how many children have stubble? I would pledge to take zero children or not i could not care less. If you see the images of Calais it is mainly Men aged 21-24 from my guestimation with the odd teenager, Maybe they can not find there family because they left them in Syria for ISIS to kill. I think we should micro chip them with GPS Locations and be like a police state towards them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending