The Student Room Group

Lost my passion for learning Mandarin

I used to learn Mandarin independently but for the couple 2-3 months I just stopped I want to start again but I feel like my passion for the language is lost my main reason for learning the language in the first place was my fascination with Chinese culture and desire to challenge myself i liked how it sounded and how different it is.How can I find that passion again?
you need to understand how valuable mandarin is. It is used everywhere and its one of the hardest languages to learn in the world. Maybe delve into the history of it and something might inspire you again? Its used in numerous industries, especially Finance and business.
Remind yourself of the reason you started. For example, many people lose interest in their diet after a short while because they lose site of the reason they started: to look good naked, to get a girlfriend/boyfriend, to get fit for a certain sport. Find that initial interest and your passion will be reignited :biggrin:
Original post by samantham999
you need to understand how valuable mandarin is. It is used everywhere and its one of the hardest languages to learn in the world. Maybe delve into the history of it and something might inspire you again? Its used in numerous industries, especially Finance and business.

My parents want me to be a doctor and I am not a good enough matematician to work in finance.
Learning a language is an amazing journey that can connect you to a whole new country (or in this case, countries, as many countries speak Mandarin), people, culture and history.

Mandarin is a beautiful language with thousands of years of history, and a wealth of literature to go with that. If you've lost your passion, perhaps try listening to music in Mandarin or Chinese instrumental music to help ease you back into the language without actively learning anything. Watching Chinese dramas would also be a great way to fall in love with the language again with minimal effort. You can watch them on Viki or DramaFever, and you'll soon find that you want to start again because you'll want to talk just like the actors can :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous1502
My parents want me to be a doctor and I am not a good enough matematician to work in finance.

Why are you listening to your parents? its YOUR life. Speak up!!! do what you love otherwise you will never reach the highest stage of your career in that field.
This is her father her please refer to the link below, also did she tell you how she begged and begged us for mandarin lessons and how we were relecutant but then said ok? and now she doesnt want to do them.....

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4463540

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending