The Student Room Group

Tips for making curls last longer?

I recently got balayage highlights and think they look more natural when my hair is curly, so I've started curling my hair more often. I'm using Babyliss heated rollers as I find them easier than curling wands etc, and it's dead easy to just put them in and continue getting ready afterwards.

I love the way the curls look when I use the largest size roller (I have quite long, thick hair) but my problem is that if I curl my hair at 7am ready for work, the curls have often dropped by 12-2pm and by 5pm, they're basically non-existent and my hair just looks a bit frizzy.

At the moment I let my rollers heat up for 10-15 mins, then leave them in for around 20 mins, 25 if I have time. I then use L'oreal diamond hold hairspray to try and keep them in.

When I got my hair done at the hairdressers, she used a curling wand and the curls lasted 24-36 hours or so, through a very sweaty spin class and me tossing around in my sleep. I don't really want to splash out on a decent curling wand now I have my rollers (and I'm crap at using curling wands!) so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to try and get my curls to last longer?

Thanks!

TL;DR - using heated rollers, love the curls but they drop after ~6 hours. Any tips to make them last all day?
Original post by olivia30
I recently got balayage highlights and think they look more natural when my hair is curly, so I've started curling my hair more often. I'm using Babyliss heated rollers as I find them easier than curling wands etc, and it's dead easy to just put them in and continue getting ready afterwards.

I love the way the curls look when I use the largest size roller (I have quite long, thick hair) but my problem is that if I curl my hair at 7am ready for work, the curls have often dropped by 12-2pm and by 5pm, they're basically non-existent and my hair just looks a bit frizzy.

At the moment I let my rollers heat up for 10-15 mins, then leave them in for around 20 mins, 25 if I have time. I then use L'oreal diamond hold hairspray to try and keep them in.

When I got my hair done at the hairdressers, she used a curling wand and the curls lasted 24-36 hours or so, through a very sweaty spin class and me tossing around in my sleep. I don't really want to splash out on a decent curling wand now I have my rollers (and I'm crap at using curling wands!) so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to try and get my curls to last longer?

Thanks!

TL;DR - using heated rollers, love the curls but they drop after ~6 hours. Any tips to make them last all day?

You could try using a bit of product in your hair before you curl. Maybe a mousse? I used to find that kept my hair curled for longer
Pin curl them when your just chilling out and sleeping, wrap your pin curls in a scarf to preserve them.
I know you said you don't want to get a curling wand but I curl my hair with straighteners and that works really well for me?
I usually just use straightners too and they work. It's better to wait a while after you've washed your hair, as drying to styling hair seems to just flatten out my hair.

Also, your hair might just need a break from constantly styling as it could be damaging your hair.
Reply 5
Rollers will rarely last the whole day because they don't heat the hair evenly. When you use tongs, they're long enough so you can wrap the whole strand around it, but when you use rollers you end up wrapping hair on top of more hair, so the top of your hair gets less heat and starts to go flat before the bottom of your hair does.
If you want to keep using them, then use the smaller rollers and use smaller bunches of hair and avoid rolling hair over another layer of hair. Let them cool and then spray, if you spray straight away you can wet the curls too soon and they won't hold. Use some hair cream or mousse before you start (you can get heat protectant hair cream) because the texture will help your hair to take the curl more easily.
Personally I find bendy rollers keep curls in best - and no heat damage. I find it best to wash hair the night before, towel dry it so your hair isn't soaking wet (it works best if hair is slightly damp but not too wet), put the rollers in overnight then take them out in the morning. The curls can be a bit tight at first but look great with some finger brushing. Personally I don't bother with hairspray, sometimes I use salt spray though. They pretty much always last the whole day.
Reply 7
Original post by olivia30

Thanks!

Ok, so my hair is naturally pin straight and won't hold a curl for DEAR LIFE. This is gonna be a somewhat strange recommendation, but hear me out lol I've tried everthing.

Try curl perm setting liquid before you curl your hair. It's basically liquid hairspray but it keeps perm-curls lasting, and it does the same for what you want and worked for me lol.

Quick Reply

Latest