The Student Room Group

Should Etonians and the like be barred from attending Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

OK, I had a huge comp-educated chip on my shoulder when I was at Oxbridge but *even I* don't agree with barring people from being able to apply :nah:
Original post by Jasaron
Why should they be given lower grade requirements?

Due to their private school background they will have qualities that the vast majority of state school pupils will not, for example eloquence, manners, and experience of working in an academically rigorous environment.

They should therefore be more desirable to a university than the average state schooll pupil, hence the lower entry requirements. So a typical offer could be A*A*A, but for a private school pupil it would be A*AA.
Original post by #ChaosKass
Due to their private school background they will have qualities that the vast majority of state school pupils will not, for example eloquence, manners, and experience of working in an academically rigorous environment.

They should therefore be more desirable to a university than the average state schooll pupil, hence the lower entry requirements. So a typical offer could be A*A*A, but for a private school pupil it would be A*AA.

What evidence do you have for this? Surely, by merit of achieving a strong set of GCSE results, performing well in admissions tests and having a good interview, any student (state-educated or otherwise) has proven that they have those qualities.

Furthermore, who says successful students need to be eloquent, and that privately-educated pupils are any more eloquent than state-schoolers? Looking again at your claim that Etonians have "manners", we only need to look at the antics of the Bullingdon Club to see that your assertion has no basis in fact.

Based on your worldview, and your other posts on this forum, I don't think you have a strong understanding of the realities of both education and the differences between working-class and upper/middle-class people. You seem to buy into a set of caricatures which are just as damaging as they are ridiculous.

EDIT: Checked your profile, realised you're a troll. 10/10
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
OK, I had a huge comp-educated chip on my shoulder when I was at Oxbridge but *even I* don't agree with barring people from being able to apply :nah:

They wouldn't be barred from postgraduate studies and beyond.
Original post by Magic Streets
They wouldn't be barred from postgraduate studies and beyond.

It's still a silly question if you're proposing banning them from any aspect of studying at Oxford, tbh :tongue:
It's still a silly question if you're proposing banning them from any aspect of studying at Oxford, tbh :tongue:

It is about breaking the stranglehold the rich elite have on all walks of life.
Unfair advantage and taking away a sense of entitlement from the super rich.

You might want to target Westminster, St Paul's, Winchester and Wycombe, all of whom do better than Eton at Oxbridge entry.

Any system you come up with would be gamed by affluent parents to produce the same result by other means.

The only sure way to make progress in equality of education in this country with the social system we have is to elect governments that spread money more widely into education as a whole. The current obsession with creating a new elite of middle class 'free' schools is unlikely to help achieve that.
they're still people who worked hard for their grades, with ambitions like the rest of us...why should they be barred from reaching their full potential?
No, but they should have to go through the same process as the rest of us. I was speaking to an Etonian on here before who said he applied through Oxbridge "internally", I.e not through UCAS? When I asked what he meant by that surprisingly he didn't reply.

Oh god you just keep on churning out real beauties don't you.
Original post by Twinpeaks
No, but they should have to go through the same process as the rest of us. I was speaking to an Etonian on here before who said he applied through Oxbridge "internally", I.e not through UCAS? When I asked what he meant by that surprisingly he didn't reply.

There was a time pre-2000 when Oxford took a quota of students from top private schools this way I believe. That changed when it was revealed that only 33% of students currently at the university came from state schools

what, state school students now have no manners? wow
i know plenty of both, and i can tell you that both have repulsive and charming in the same category...
There was a time pre-2000 when Oxford took a quota of students from top private schools this way I believe. That changed when it was revealed that only 33% of students currently at the university came from state schools

Looks like it's still going on somehow. Disgusting.
It is about breaking the stranglehold the rich elite have on all walks of life.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, though...

I used to find some of your comments rather invidious but as time goes on I have realized your like me very right wing but with common sense. However you get rather frustrated with the idiotic left wing politically correct nonsense.

I have two brothers that are social justice warriors imagine dealing with that always turns into arguments.

I do like your provocative comments.
There's more than one way to skin a cat, though...

Revolución! :security::fight:

:mob:
Original post by Hydeman
Revolución! :security::fight:

:mob:

:colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Twinpeaks

They have a Universities Officer at Eton who does interviews and assists students in selecting and getting places, he may have just been referencing that. They don't have a privileged pre-selected access to Oxbridge places of any kind. What they do have is lots of knowledge of the entrance requirements, interviews, tests, Oxbridge culture/needs etc.

Do you realise how stupid this sounds?
This is a discraceful idea. I love it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending