The Student Room Group

HAA test cambridge help pls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SP98
Wow! That's impressive! I'm aiming to send everything by next week. Did you have to send 2 pieces of written work?

2 copies of 2 pieces, one of which was timed.
Original post by Rachel58

Oh no, I'm so sorry! *hugs*

It's a trapped nerve that's making my back spasm, I found out today. Getting referred to private healthcare doctors but it won't be fixed by the 2nd. Now the choice of spaced out on pain killers or suffering.

*hugs back*

I was spaced out on pain-killers from the ages of 11-16, and I personally prefer suffering because now I've not got much of an immune system.

Are you doing one?

Woah that's awesome! Yeah I am, and my title is "To what extent were Enlightenment ideas and the work of French Philosophers responsible for the outbreak of the French Revolution?".

Original post by Ruthie2267
trust me that's my worst fear as well, if I sit down can think of nothing and realise I'm actually really bad at history 😂 Things that help to calm me down: Stop yourself overthinking your points. I don't mean don't think of them, but more if all you can think of at that point are the obvious points just write them down. I always fret over whether my points are sophisticated enough and that often blocks me. Taking deep breaths is a classic but often helps 😂 My old history teacher once advised my class to mentally tell ourselves that we do know how to do the set task. Sometimes you've just got to give yourself a mental shake I guess :P A bit strange and if you have anxiety probably not the best thing to do but I imagine the worst case scenario that could happen and rationalise it through. I sit down at the desk and can't think of anything to write? Ok, but it's only for an hou, after that I never have to think about it again, and I can tell everybody I know that I actually wrote 10 pages :P Also work out how long you have to write sections; it's much less stressful when you know if you have time to write in another idea etc Unfortunately I don't have any solid advice because it's all mental stuff really - what works for me might not be at all good for you I know some people are helped by chewing gum etc tho

Same! If I sit there and realise I'm bad at History, my life will be over (I want to be a History professor). If I sit there and have a waterfall of ideas pouring out of my brain and into my answer, I will be one happy geek.

Thanks for the tips! I have a fear of failure (not the best) but not an anxiety problem per se. I just hate to be defeated academically, and especially when it comes to History since it's my favourite thing in the world.

I think I'm going to set myself 15 minutes a day, find a source, and make myself scribble some ideas down. It doesn't have to be written in standard English, I just need ideas that I'd be able to work with and turn into Standard English.

Original post by Strimpy
lol you only got 3 less than me i dont think its really gonna matter about individual marks (once you get that close) considering applying for hispol i may have peaked too early tho

Haha, true! They say that anything over 50% is good, but my academic record isn't strong (I had under 50% attendance from Year 7-Year 10 and no support/teaching for my GCSE subjects, only got 3 A*s and then had issues with my chronic pain syndrome during AS exams. Although I got 100% in Paper 1 History and 90+% in my other exams, I had issues during my Paper 2 History and came out with a very high B) so I really need to make up for it.
[QUOTE="SP98;68149970"]
FELLOW NEWNHAM HISTORY APPLICANT HELLO!!!

Hello :-) You're the first Newnham History applicant I've come across :smile: !!! Are you applying for a single/joint honours?

I'm applying for single :smile: was debating histpol but just decided to do it straight in the end 😀 Wbu?? (I would go back through the thread but my internet is about to give up I think :frown:( )

I've only found one other Newnham applicant full stop tbh 😂 can you imagine getting into a college with such an amazing library though 😍

Sneaky Cambridge with their sneaky exams.

Well, at least it's on time! I sent off all my forms this week, including written work 😐

Cambridge are snakes confirmed 🐍🐍

Wooo go you! My excuse is that I can't print/photocopy anything until I get back to school on Monday 😉
What titles/grades did you do/get on the essays you sent in?? (Don't have to tell me if I'm too nosy aha!)
Original post by SP98
Wow! That's impressive! I'm aiming to send everything by next week. Did you have to send 2 pieces of written work?

All of my stuff is getting sent off on October 31st... stupid half term getting in the way. :angry: I lost some written work so we're printing it off again, remarking it (nothing has been changed for Cambridge purposes though) and sending it off on October 31st.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SteamboatMickey
*hugs back*

I was spaced out on pain-killers from the ages of 11-16, and I personally prefer suffering because now I've not got much of an immune system.

Are you doing one?

Woah that's awesome! Yeah I am, and my title is "To what extent were Enlightenment ideas and the work of French Philosophers responsible for the outbreak of the French Revolution?".

Ok, your problems are much more serious than my mine, I don't know why I was complaining.

Why does everyone's EPQ sound more serious than mine? Mine was inspired by Black Sails TV show and my crush on Tom Hopper but yours is like interesting and insightful. (That means I love your topic, btw)
Reply 65

I'm applying for single :smile: was debating histpol but just decided to do it straight in the end 😀 Wbu?? (I would go back through the thread but my internet is about to give up I think :frown:( )

I've only found one other Newnham applicant full stop tbh 😂 can you imagine getting into a college with such an amazing library though 😍

Wooo go you! My excuse is that I can't print/photocopy anything until I get back to school on Monday 😉
What titles/grades did you do/get on the essays you sent in?? (Don't have to tell me if I'm too nosy aha!)

I was also considering histpol - this is quite funny.
I haven't actually visited the library, but the images look amazing!
Anyhow, have you submitted the essays?
(edited 7 years ago)

Haha, true! They say that anything over 50% is good, but my academic record isn't strong (I had under 50% attendance from Year 7-Year 10 and no support/teaching for my GCSE subjects, only got 3 A*s and then had issues with my chronic pain syndrome during AS exams. Although I got 100% in Paper 1 History and 90+% in my other exams, I had issues during my Paper 2 History and came out with a very high B) so I really need to make up for it.

at least it sounds like you have some pretty serious stuff you can put on your ECF form tho which should help your application

and did you by any chance do the British Empire (1857-1914) for Unit 1? as i also got 100% in that :biggrin: and majorly flopped the other unit as well lol
Reply 67
Original post by Strimpy
at least it sounds like you have some pretty serious stuff you can put on your ECF form tho which should help your application

and did you by any chance do the British Empire (1857-1914) for Unit 1? as i also got 100% in that :biggrin: and majorly flopped the other unit as well lol

Seriously? I also did the Empire and got the same mark. What did you do for the other unit?
[QUOTE="Ruthie2267;68150202"]
Original post by SP98

Kanye West should call out Cambridge too. (I love Taylor, I'm a huge fan of her, don't think I'm a hater, I've been to four of her concerts, it was just an obvious joke)
Of course, good excuse 😉😉😉
Oh my god, um. One was a source question about the effectiveness of Wolsey (times mock exam, 20/25) and one was just a regular essay evaluating whether the English Reformation was a result of Protestantism (25/25)
Reply 69
Original post by Strimpy

Are you by any chance submitting your exam paper for one of the submitted essay pieces?
Boys are totally ew but they can be pretty, lets be honest. See, I'm the worst - I basically always get up early despite being a morning hater as whenever I can sleep in I'm like "But I could fill this time with a run..."

One of my old favourite history teachers left in Year 9, and everyone in his class considered stalking him, tbh. He's the one that made me realise that I was actually ok at history.

I'll give you that 😂 I have to say although I hate running early morning walks are one of the best things in the world especially if it's as dawns breaking (what I like about winter as well tbh you don't have to be up really early to see sunrise!)Inspiring teachers are a blessing tbh God bless 'em
I'll give you that 😂 I have to say although I hate running early morning walks are one of the best things in the world especially if it's as dawns breaking (what I like about winter as well tbh you don't have to be up really early to see sunrise!)Inspiring teachers are a blessing tbh God bless 'em

I love Winter, but not for any sophisticated reason. I just really love Christmas.

Oh my god, yes, especially when they're not only inspiring, but you can trust that they're doing everything to get you a good mark.
Original post by Strimpy

Yeah, we've sent it all off, including medical letters. I spent a whole day with the Oxbridge coordinator because my issues are so complex, and I was out of education for such a long time. I just have to hope that they'll see my academic profile as impressive given the circumstances. My Grandad also died during the GCSE exams so... my life has been chaotic since Year 7, but I'm in the top 5% of students at my college. :u:

I did Tudor England (Paper 1) and then the Protestant Reformation (Paper 2).

Ok, your problems are much more serious than my mine, I don't know why I was complaining. Why does everyone's EPQ sound more serious than mine? Mine was inspired by Black Sails TV show and my crush on Tom Hopper but yours is like interesting and insightful. (That means I love your topic, btw)

Haha no it's fine, we both have things to deal with in life.

Interesting and insightful, really? Thanks so much! It was inspired by Victor Hugo's 'Les Mis' because I'm kind of obsessed with it. I'm struggling to find high-quality sources, though.
[QUOTE="Rachel58;68150294"]

Kanye West should call out Cambridge too. (I love Taylor, I'm a huge fan of her, don't think I'm a hater, I've been to four of her concerts, it was just an obvious joke)
Of course, good excuse 😉😉😉
Oh my god, um. One was a source question about the effectiveness of Wolsey (times mock exam, 20/25) and one was just a regular essay evaluating whether the English Reformation was a result of Protestantism (25/25)

Can i just say how much I love your essay topics!?!?!

Haha no it's fine, we both have things to deal with in life.

Interesting and insightful, really? Thanks so much! It was inspired by Victor Hugo's 'Les Mis' because I'm kind of obsessed with it. I'm struggling to find high-quality sources, though.

Ugh, same. I just finished mine but imagine trying to find information about pirates, but every. single. site. talks about Johnny Depp.
[QUOTE="SteamboatMickey;68150410"]

Can i just say how much I love your essay topics!?!?!

U DONT UNDERSTAND MY FRIEND.

THE REFORMATION ONE - I MEMORISED IT.
AND
IT CAME UP
IN THE ACTUAL EXAM.
Original post by SP98
Are you by any chance submitting your exam paper for one of the submitted essay pieces?

No, I'm submitting two essays which were done in exam conditions during class. One is from Year 12 which gained 19/20 and is about changes in Tudor government, and the other got 19/20 (A*) and was done in exam conditions two weeks into A2. The second is about the role that Gilly Duncan's confession played in triggering the North Berwick witch hunts.
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE="Rachel58;68150444"]

AND
IT CAME UP
IN THE ACTUAL EXAM.

YOU LUCKY TADPOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ugh, same. I just finished mine but imagine trying to find information about pirates, but every. single. site. talks about Johnny Depp.

Oh god. Every single site I find talks about Louis XVI and I need to know about Voltaire!
Reply 79
[QUOTE="Rachel58;68150444"]

AND
IT CAME UP
IN THE ACTUAL EXAM.

WOW! That's amazingly lucky! I'm sure you would have done as amazing anyways!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending