The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Is there life at Silwood Park?

I'm considering applying for the MSc in Ecology, Evolution and Conservation for 2017 or 2018 entry.

However, it's based at the Silwood Park site. Although this looks pretty, it also looks as if it might be isolated and lonely for the single post-grad.

Any experiences or thoughts?
Reply 1
i guess that answers my question.....
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by OxFossil
i guess that answers my question.....

Lol. If it's any consolation, London is extremely lonely too for postgrads if you don't already have a circle of friends there. The accommodation there is extremely claustrophobic for postgrads, and the prices are extremely high so you will probably end up working in your free-time. If anything you're more likely to bond with the people at Silwood since it's a small community.
Reply 3
Original post by oShahpo
Lol. If it's any consolation, London is extremely lonely too for postgrads if you don't already have a circle of friends there. The accommodation there is extremely claustrophobic for postgrads, and the prices are extremely high so you will probably end up working in your free-time. If anything you're more likely to bond with the people at Silwood since it's a small community.

Thanks for answering my question! And I get your point about the potential loneliness of the big city. My main concern about Silwood is that the campus doesn't seem to have any social space at all (aside from shared kitchens). Neither is there an obvious 'external' social scene - apologies to Berkshire residents, but Ascot??

I guess I was hoping to hear that there is a bar on site, active student clubs of some sort, or that the residents there are generally sociable etc etc....
Reply 4
Original post by OxFossil
Thanks for answering my question! And I get your point about the potential loneliness of the big city. My main concern about Silwood is that the campus doesn't seem to have any social space at all (aside from shared kitchens). Neither is there an obvious 'external' social scene - apologies to Berkshire residents, but Ascot??

I guess I was hoping to hear that there is a bar on site, active student clubs of some sort, or that the residents there are generally sociable etc etc....

There's a lovely historic pub about 2 miles away from Silwood. Check this: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/visit/campuses/silwood-park/prospective-students/life-at-silwood/
and
http://www.thethatchedtavern.co.uk/
Reply 5
^that's exactly what I was looking for, oShahpo. Can't understand why I didn't come across it myself. Thank you.

Quick Reply