The Student Room Group

Adult Nursing: Apprenticeships?

I'm currently doing A-levels and applying for adult nursing at uni, but i'm wondering if nursing apprenticeships are an alternative option to a full 3-year course at university, and if they are, do you need experience in the field first?
Original post by esmith16
I'm currently doing A-levels and applying for adult nursing at uni, but i'm wondering if nursing apprenticeships are an alternative option to a full 3-year course at university, and if they are, do you need experience in the field first?

No, nursing is a degree-only course. The only way you can become a registered nursing is by doing an NMC accredited course at university. You will still need relevant work experience and volunteering to aid your application.
The band 4 nursing associate / assistant course starts this December in selected areas.
Information about this very new role is limited and what the responsibilities etc will be is still unknown.
But there is hope that these band 4 NA's will then be able to complete the degree similar to how it is currently done with the open university perhaps in a shorter time frame than the current 3 years full time.
A quick Google will bring up some information but not a great deal as it hasn't been released yet.
This could be an option for you if it's rolled out England wide but you would need to be working as a hca and have that experience under your belt to be put forward for it.
Currently as the above poster has said, a 3 year full time degree is the only option. Or a 4 year course via the open university if you have support from an existing employer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks, I'll be sure to check that out
Original post by deviant182
The band 4 nursing associate / assistant course starts this December in selected areas.
Information about this very new role is limited and what the responsibilities etc will be is still unknown.
But there is hope that these band 4 NA's will then be able to complete the degree similar to how it is currently done with the open university perhaps in a shorter time frame than the current 3 years full time.
A quick Google will bring up some information but not a great deal as it hasn't been released yet.
This could be an option for you if it's rolled out England wide but you would need to be working as a hca and have that experience under your belt to be put forward for it.
Currently as the above poster has said, a 3 year full time degree is the only option. Or a 4 year course via the open university if you have support from an existing employer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is precious little information about the degree level apprenticeship but here's what I've learned from my trust education memos so far: they start from September 2017, it is four years part time, you must have been working for the trust (not just the nhs) for 12 months when the course starts to be eligible, you keep your full salary while on the course, placements can be arranged with partnering trusts so you get a wide range of experience, and obviously you will have protected study time taken out of your shifts. There is also talk among the education team here that there will be a compulsory service period you must stay with the trust for after qualifying and if you leave within that time you will have to pay the course fees back, but this is currently missing from official documents.
Basically get a job in the nhs, even on the bank, asap if you want to go down this road, but explore all the options as this is very much a "wait and see when it launches" type of deal. Also bear in mind the details may be trust specific and most certainly subject to change.

Quick Reply