The Student Room Group

Am I using correct books

Hello I am going to sit Edexcel International AS Level in Physics, Biology and Chemistry in January 2017 and I have been using the 2015 specification books from hodder education
but my friend is now telling me that I should have used the 2008 specification books for IAL is he right or should i continue using the new 2015 books
Original post by aviator8
Hello I am going to sit Edexcel International AS Level in Physics, Biology and Chemistry in January 2017 and I have been using the 2015 specification books from hodder education
but my friend is now telling me that I should have used the 2008 specification books for IAL is he right or should i continue using the new 2015 books

Your friend is right. The 2015 books match the new uk linear specification, the 2008 books match the current IAL. I don't know how different they are for your subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I have been studying them for 6 months so does it mean all my hardwork went in vain and I have searched almost every bookstore in my country but only these new books are available, I can't find the old books, I was really aiming for A* but now it seems that I won't even get a C.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I have been studying them for 6 months so does it mean all my hardwork went in vain and I have searched almost every bookstore in my country but only these new books are available, I can't find the old books, I was really aiming for A* but now it seems that I won't even get a C.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would imagine that it would not all have been in vain although you may have revised how to answer things differently from how they currently want you to answer them. I would advise looking online for the books you need - plus you can certainly find them for cheaper. Look at the marking guides for the past papers - How does your revision compare to how the marking guides want you to answer them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't panic too much. Most of what you will be tested on is the same science.

In the uk you could buy second hand books on eBay or on Amazon.co.uk though not all will ship to international destinations.

Download your specification so you can see exactly what is tested in each unit and, as recommended above, test your knowledge with past papers. Carefully compare your answers to the mark schemes to ensure you are giving your examiners what they want. Be very careful, especially with biology, that your answers are detailed, accurate and specific enough to earn the marks. You are in trouble if you find yourself saying things like "yes, that's what I mean" when you compare your answer to what they want.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks gdunne42 I'll do the same as you suggested

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest