The Student Room Group

What course should I do at uni?!?

Hey guys,
I'm in yr 13 now and I am unsure of what course to do at uni and was wondering if anyone has any ideas? I originally thought about medicine but I decided not to go for it as I don't have a high chance of getting any offers, I'm interested in science and maths :biggrin:

A level predicted grades:
Chemistry: A*
Biology: A
Maths: A

GCSEs
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
Biology: A
Maths: A
RE: A*
History: A
English literature: A
English language: B
Art: B
French: B
( to help make sure I meet requirements)

Thank you!! :3
Reply 1
Well what are your interests? If you are really set on Medicine then your grades seem fine for some unis. (Someone at my Sixth Form applied for Medicine at top unis, he got into Oxford but got rejected from Birmingham. My mum and I reckoned it was because he's very academic - he was doing 5 A-Levels to start with!) However if you've changed your mind just think about what you'd like to do for a career, etc.
Questions to ask yourself:
Do you want a research-based career?
Do you want a secure career?
Do you want a good income or would you be happy not making a lot?
How much repetitiveness do you want?
How much in terms of holiday/days off do you want?
Do you want to be outside a lot?
Where would you like to live - remote or urban?
Which subject do you look forward to the most - Maths, Chemistry or Biology?
And which area of the subject do you enjoy the most?

For example, I absolutely loved doing Biology at Sixth Form and school, and the bit I enjoyed the most was ecology and the environmental aspects. I am very concerned about conservation and the environment. So I ended up doing Ecology and Wildlife Conservation.

Think about what you'd like to do for a career as well as your passion.
Reply 2
Look at different universities and look through the Maths and Science courses they have on offer - Look at what they entail, could you imagine yourself doing it for 3/4 years and then getting a job in that field? Look into what sort of jobs you would be interested in and see what sort of Degrees they are asking for. See if there are any colleges, universities or groups offering taster sessions or alternatively talk to a careers advisor and speak through it with them.
Reply 3
Original post by Crabb1ey
Well what are your interests? If you are really set on Medicine then your grades seem fine for some unis. (Someone at my Sixth Form applied for Medicine at top unis, he got into Oxford but got rejected from Birmingham. My mum and I reckoned it was because he's very academic - he was doing 5 A-Levels to start with!) However if you've changed your mind just think about what you'd like to do for a career, etc.
Questions to ask yourself:
Do you want a research-based career?
Do you want a secure career?
Do you want a good income or would you be happy not making a lot?
How much repetitiveness do you want?
How much in terms of holiday/days off do you want?
Do you want to be outside a lot?
Where would you like to live - remote or urban?
Which subject do you look forward to the most - Maths, Chemistry or Biology?
And which area of the subject do you enjoy the most?

For example, I absolutely loved doing Biology at Sixth Form and school, and the bit I enjoyed the most was ecology and the environmental aspects. I am very concerned about conservation and the environment. So I ended up doing Ecology and Wildlife Conservation.

Think about what you'd like to do for a career as well as your passion.

Thank you! I was looking at pharmacy, as the year have entry requirements of AAB- ABB but I've heard a lot of negative things on this site about being a pharmacist, there's nothing more that really stands out to me as a career. I was considering a gap year and applying for medicine next year but that all depends on what grades I get so I want a backup incase the exams go wrong 😄
Original post by Leo2614
Thank you! I was looking at pharmacy, as the year have entry requirements of AAB- ABB but I've heard a lot of negative things on this site about being a pharmacist, there's nothing more that really stands out to me as a career. I was considering a gap year and applying for medicine next year but that all depends on what grades I get so I want a backup incase the exams go wrong 😄

What is it that attracts you to pharmacy or medicine as a career? There are a lot of alternative health professions that might have similar features.
Reply 5
Original post by Leo2614

No problem! If you're unsure I'd recommend taking a gap year to see what you get and going from there. And I understand being a pharmacist can be challenging (not a lot of holiday leave for starters). Don't forget there are other medical-related courses you can do.

Quick Reply

Latest