The Student Room Group

Coffee culture in the workplace

I just started my first proper job and the whole making the tea/coffee thing is very new to me and ugh I don't like it, it's annoying

I feel awkward when my colleagues ask me if I want a hot drink and I say no thank you, because now they're getting used to me saying no as I'm just not a massive tea drinker and I hate coffee. But they're all so dependant on coffee and tea to get them through the working day and so I feel like now I need to start getting up and getting it for them in order to be a part of the team and to fit in. I feel like it's my turn but idek.

But I'm just not into it tbh. I wish they would stop drinking tea and coffee as soon as we come into work and all throughout the day coming in and asking like some sort of waiter.

It's making me feel like Dexter where he brings in doughnuts to work and acts like the nice guy but really he's sinister asf and has a hidden agenda.

And yes I know this is a part of organisational culture and something i need to get used to, but ugh I'm bored of it already.
Original post by Anonymous
I just started my first proper job and the whole making the tea/coffee thing is very new to me and ugh I don't like it, it's annoying

I feel awkward when my colleagues ask me if I want a hot drink and I say no thank you, because now they're getting used to me saying no as I'm just not a massive tea drinker and I hate coffee. But they're all so dependant on coffee and tea to get them through the working day and so I feel like now I need to start getting up and getting it for them in order to be a part of the team and to fit in. I feel like it's my turn but idek.

But I'm just not into it tbh. I wish they would stop drinking tea and coffee as soon as we come into work and all throughout the day coming in and asking like some sort of waiter.

It's making me feel like Dexter where he brings in doughnuts to work and acts like the nice guy but really he's sinister asf and has a hidden agenda.

And yes I know this is a part of organisational culture and something i need to get used to, but ugh I'm bored of it already.

Offering people a drink is just a good thing to do for team morale, it shows you appreciate them.
Reply 2
What...? Don't read so much into it, if you don't like a hot drink then don't have one. Simple. It's not a big deal
Well I think you can play it either way depending how annoyed it makes you. You can say 'oh I don't really drink tea or coffee, that's why I don't offer to make it - my coffee is TERRIBLE as I don't drink it'. I don't think many people would think you unreasonable to not make others coffee if you don't drink it. However it will probably buy you more brownie points and seem more team spirited if you occasionally offer to make the coffee anyway. Also, get used to this - it happens in lots of workplaces...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending