The Student Room Group

64% of the UK population is Overweight or Obese

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sameehaiqbal
Absolutely false! Nobody listen to this troll.

My diet:

Breakfast:
Bowl of porridge with skimmed milk
2 egg whites
Green tea

Lunch:
Quinoa with grilled chicken breast
Apple
Cup of coffee or green tea

Dinner:
Steamed veggies, mash, and two chicken breast fillets

Sometimes i replace chicken breast with a small portion of lamb or beef. Ive lost 30 pounds so far. Please dont generalise all meat eaters. Some of us actually have a great diet with meat in it.

My diet:

Breakfast:
Pizzas
Dinner:
Burgers
There was some autopsy of an obese person on the BBC.

Was fascinating.
Original post by XOR_
My diet:

Breakfast:
Pizzas
Dinner:
Burgers

Your diet= amazing diet!
Reply 63
Original post by Unistudent77
Despite OP and others best attempts, this thread is a car crash.

The troll was being fed throughout pages 2 and 3.

Typical tsr. Something starts of with potential but then....... Burns horribly

What are you talking about?Its a well known fact that being vegetarian/vegan helps a lot with weight issues.
Original post by Mactotaur
Five signatures are needed for this petition to go live: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/169973/sponsors/gFqw8d4mZ1jKWm5u7WET

-

Make the mechanics behind weight gain and loss compulsory for secondary schools

64% of the UK population is overweight/obese. Many simply don’t understand why they are obese, and thus do not have the first idea of how to combat it. Basic information such as calculating Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) should be taught in secondary schools.

The average British person’s total daily energy expenditure is 2000 calories. Eating just 100 calories over this per day will lead to an average weight gain of nearly 10.5 pounds (4.7kg) a year. 100 calories is one large apple, half a plain bagel, or a packet of crisps. Being overweight or obese is connected to many health problems, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnoea and some cancers, as well as significantly reducing life expectancy and quality of life.

People already are taught these things! They just don't care. In fact, it's the very first topic in GCSE Biology. On the AQA Spec, it's B1.1.1
Original post by BobBobson
People already are taught these things! They just don't care. In fact, it's the very first topic in GCSE Biology. On the AQA Spec, it's B1.1.1

Which means, that even people doing single science are taught it.
Original post by SM6
Your diet= amazing diet!

Thank you :h:
Original post by XOR_
Thank you :h:

Really envious of you!
Sorry but the BMI method doesn't really tell you if someone is in bad shape, look at this fella...

He was 6'2" and weighed 92kg so his BMI was 26 meaning he's "overweight" but would you consider him fat? I probably wouldn't. Also Arnold Schwarzenegger would be obese
Reply 69
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Sorry but the BMI method doesn't really tell you if someone is in bad shape, look at this fella...

He was 6'2" and weighed 92kg so his BMI was 26 meaning he's "overweight" but would you consider him fat? I probably wouldn't. Also Arnold Schwarzenegger would be obese

You can just tell from that pic how much of a prick he is.
Original post by Unistudent77
Despite OP and others best attempts, this thread is a car crash.

The troll was being fed throughout pages 2 and 3.

Typical tsr. Something starts of with potential but then....... Burns horribly

Plus half-truths peddled as gospel - I agree entirely.
Original post by studboy
You can just tell from that pic how much of a prick he is.

Yea but he lived a short and wonderful life so you gotta let it slide unless you know the whole story man
Ration junk food in order to control peoples diets.

There's no real way to do anything to change the stats. Unless we can start patrolling the streets with whips encouraging the obese to run away from us.

The truth is, that a lot of people are more than happy to be overweight and obese. So long as they don't assault my ears with their winging about how they can't lose weight, when their going home indulging in cream cakes, then I say leave them to it.

If people want to lose weight, they will, they will put the effort in to be in a level of physical shape they're happy with and comfortable with.
Imo fat shaming is very underrated, just like stigma.

You should feel ashamed for potentially putting your life at risk over food.

Political correctness also comes into play with the fact that subjective feelings matter much more than objective facts, thats why we become so dishonest as a society because we value not offending people rather than telling the actual truth.
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Sorry but the BMI method doesn't really tell you if someone is in bad shape.

Although your point is completely correct in principle, in practice people who are defined as being obese by BMI scoring due to being excessively muscular can't make up more than a tiny proportion of the total of those classed as being obese.
1) Thats calculated using BMI which is massively flawed.
2) Its not the states business what people do with their bodies.Unless you want to ban alcohol,tobacco and caffeine?
3) There seems to be a misconception that eating junk food makes you fat.It doesn't.Eating too much junk food makes you fat but the same would apply to eating too much apples.Its not what you eat, its how much you eat.
Original post by Robby2312
1) Thats calculated using BMI which is massively flawed.
2) Its not the states business what people do with their bodies.Unless you want to ban alcohol,tobacco and caffeine?
3) There seems to be a misconception that eating junk food makes you fat.It doesn't.Eating too much junk food makes you fat but the same would apply to eating too much apples.Its not what you eat, its how much you eat.

BMI is *not* massively flawed. It does not apply well to very tall or very short people, but there is a reason we call them outliers. It also does not work for extremely muscular people, but in that case a simple body fat analysis will suffice to prove health.

The state already places sin taxes on tobacco and alcohol. Caffeine does not pose such a danger to your health, especially in moderation.

Eating 'bad' (i.e. nutritionally void) food won't make you fat. Eating a lot of that (or any) food will make you fat.
Reply 78
If we stopped all the political correctness nonsense around 'fat shaming' people would stand up and realise what the hell they are doing to their bodies. Nobody goes "don't worry, you have that next pack of marlboro golds, your lungs look lovely all stained brown and slowly failing'.

Unless of course they have a medical condition which is causing their weight gain, in which case that would just be damn cruel.

At least the NHS have started putting the morbidly obese at the back of queues for operations to prove a point.
Original post by tg1998
If we stopped all the political correctness nonsense around 'fat shaming' people would stand up and realise what the hell they are doing to their bodies. Nobody goes "don't worry, you have that next pack of marlboro golds, your lungs look lovely all stained brown and slowly failing'.

Unless of course they have a medical condition which is causing their weight gain, in which case that would just be damn cruel.

At least the NHS have started putting the morbidly obese at the back of queues for operations to prove a point.

There was a time when smoking was recommended by doctors. This too will pass.

Quick Reply

Latest