The Student Room Group

Can I become affiliate law student at Cambridge after GDL?

I am about to begin the GDL in London and am having second thoughts about doing this and think I would rather do a law degree at Cambridge. I'm a postgraduate (graduated 9 years ago though!) and did my Bachelors at Bristol where I got a 2.1. I have a top scholarship at Middle Temple to study the GDL and go on to bar training. so my question is- since I have no 'recent' academic results to speak of to enter Cambridge and study law, would the GDL (with a very good result, fingers crossed) be a valid entry route to become an affiliated law student and do the law degree in 2 years via this path at Cambridge afterwards?Any advice would be appreciated! Also any advice on which colleges at Cambridge are the best to apply for as an affiliated law student- I know some will admit perhaps 1 a year. Thanks everyone!
You need to ask the college admission tutors (I suggest you target Cambridge mature colleges). But why would you want to do a BA if you've already done a GDL? Seems a bit pointless to me. How will you pay for it?
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply Snufkin. I'm told again and again that you just don't get the same depth of learning on the GDL, and in truth, I think I want to study it in more depth. Cost is not a problem. I would go straight in and apply for the affiliate degree at Cambridge, but to be honest I don't think I'd get in with a 2.1 from Bristol and 10 years away from eduction, even with an academic scholarship to study at the bar. Sounds like there are 1 or 2 places a year available per college, and it seems a given to me that they'd award those to people with firsts in their earlier degrees.
Original post by bond_villain
Thanks for your reply Snufkin. I'm told again and again that you just don't get the same depth of learning on the GDL, and in truth, I think I want to study it in more depth. Cost is not a problem. I would go straight in and apply for the affiliate degree at Cambridge, but to be honest I don't think I'd get in with a 2.1 from Bristol and 10 years away from eduction, even with an academic scholarship to study at the bar. Sounds like there are 1 or 2 places a year available per college, and it seems a given to me that they'd award those to people with firsts in their earlier degrees.

Bit confused, you'd be relying on a scholarship to pay for it? As far as I know, there aren't any for affiliate degrees.
Reply 4
No, I'm not relying on the scholarship to pay for it. The scholarship was awarded for me to study the GDL conversion course and is totally separate and nothing to do with potentially doing the affiliate degree in Law at Cambridge later on.

Quick Reply