The Student Room Group

Travel on trains for students

Hi everyone, I'm looking at commuting between Nottingham and Lincoln every day to attend university. But the train cost is going to be 12 pounds a day. If I have a railcard (Which only takes a third off I think) this still comes to about 8 pounds a day? Unless there is a free one. So my question is:

Is there any deal you can get where you pay for the year and get free travel?

And is there any discount for students on train fares?
Original post by BenCutter
Hi everyone, I'm looking at commuting between Nottingham and Lincoln every day to attend university. But the train cost is going to be 12 pounds a day. If I have a railcard (Which only takes a third off I think) this still comes to about 8 pounds a day? Unless there is a free one. So my question is:

Is there any deal you can get where you pay for the year and get free travel?

And is there any discount for students on train fares?

There is the 16-25 railcard which is for students anyway, otherwise you can look into a season ticket for the year but normally they are only cheaper if you do the journey at least 8 times a week.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
There is the 16-25 railcard which is for students anyway, otherwise you can look into a season ticket for the year but normally they are only cheaper if you do the journey at least 8 times a week.

I think I will be doing the journey 8 times a week. I will be going to and from lincoln every day
I think I will be doing the journey 8 times a week. I will be going to and from lincoln every day

Could be worth a season ticket then :smile: prices are here http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/seasonticket/search

Look into season tickets and ask if your university offer any travel loans to cover season tickets.

You'll probably be better with a monthly or annual rather than yearly season ticket.

Alternatively see if you can get discounts for booking onto specific trains early - I used to get 1/3 off my tickets if I booked the night before onto specific trains instead of getting flexible tickets.

Edit: remember that you can't travel on peak services with a railcard discount - so if you ened to be in for a 9am lecture (or even 10am depending on the trains) then you can't use your card.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending