The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Do I have a chance to get into Imperial?

Hey guys,

I'm looking forward to applying to Imperial College London in around 3-4 weeks and I'm applying to the MEng Mechanical Engineering department. The problem is I'm stressed thinking about whether I can get in or not. I'm taking the IB Diploma:

My predicted is: 41 total points (39 core)
7 HL physics
6 HL math
6 HL chemistry
And I'm also an international student (non-UK and non-EU)

Should I bother applying or would it be a waste of one of my five choices?

P.S. I understand that I technically meet the entry requirements, but there are also so many other factors that play into it, which is why I'm posting this.

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rabualeez
Hey guys,

I'm looking forward to applying to Imperial College London in around 3-4 weeks and I'm applying to the MEng Mechanical Engineering department. The problem is I'm stressed thinking about whether I can get in or not. I'm taking the IB Diploma:

My predicted is: 41 total points (39 core)
7 HL physics
6 HL math
6 HL chemistry

Should I bother applying or would it be a waste of one of my five choices?

P.S. I understand that I technically meet the entry requirements, but there are also so many other factors that play into it, which is why I'm posting this.

Thank you!

You meet the requirements, you can definitely get in. If you never try it, you'll never know :P
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
If you are concerned about your chances at getting into a University then email their Admissions department (or if you can email the head of your course) and discuss the grades you have, any work experience or other relevant information and ask them whether it would be worth applying. They'll be more than happy to help, and they may even be able to offer advice on how to get a competitive advantage. As an applicant applying with alternate grades, work experience and a portfolio I found this so useful.
It let me know whether it would be worth applying there, and they often offered advice on how to build up a solid personal statement or offered advice on how to meet their entry requirements if they didn't take into consideration my work experience and portfolio.
Mechanical engineering is really competitive at imperial. Many people have the grades so admissions have to rely on other things to differentiate between applicants and i know of people who were amazing at maths and physics from my school who didn't even get invited to interview. But, with that being said, it is definitely not a waste of choice since you meet the entry requirements and it's very possible you could get invited for interview, do well and get an offer.
Reply 4
bump(:
bump(:

What'd you mean bump you just got answers
Reply 6
Original post by Nuggetsarelife
What'd you mean bump you just got answers

Thanks to the people who answered, but I still would like to hear more, like if being international would affect my entry chances, etc...
Reply 7
Thanks to the people who answered, but I still would like to hear more, like if being international would affect my entry chances, etc...

Being an international student will only affect your entry chances in regards to your visa and your English language ability. As I previously said, feel free to email them and discuss your circumstances, your grades, and ask them some questions. They will get back to you and will be able to clear up any confusion or concerns you may have.

Hannah DickinsonInternational Officer
+44 (0) 2075941768
[email protected]

As you can see from their website, they are very welcoming of International Students, they will not discard your application purely based on where you are from. Write an email or send a phone call to Hannah Dickinson (info above) who is their international officer and will have more knowledge of applying as an international student. As long as you meet the entry requirements and can get the Visa you need, then you are in with a good chance.
Reply 8
Hi,
Don't worry you can trust me, Imperial might be the university with the highest percentage of International. (27K instead of 9K might be one of the reason why :tongue: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending